Film, Radio and TV

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Heith

Re: Film, Radio and TV

Post by Heith »

If someone has the possibility to view Ed Atkins' "Trick Brain" on a gallery somewhere, I highly recommend it. I saw this not too long ago, and sat through it 2 and a half times. It was quite captivating, or perhaps my mood was right- generally I'm not at all receptive to video art as I find it boring, but this was really good. Excellent combination of images, words and voice.

Unsurprisingly, as this is video art, the actual piece can not be found online. I only found this small clip with the artist's interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDLzDr0KKY

I was, however, able to locate the text for this work. Sadly, this experience of course is nowhere near that of seeing the actual film. But, here's a small part nevertheless;

Other than your gormless figure, a conspicuous absence of life here. No plants, for example; no evidence of a pet; not a single wilted lower, no darkened petal curling on the rug. Most worryingly, not even a single cobweb.

I can think of nothing heavier than a human brain, really. A human brain on a marble slab.
Or a human brain dawdling on an anvil before a furnace. Gravity and the distinct lack of a skull describing its slumped immensity. Slimed, as if freshly birthed through a gaping trepanation bordered with amniotic marmalade. Or emerging instantaneously through a trapdoor on the stage from some primordial mire below.
Hoving into view through a dissipating cloud of theatrical smoke.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Not exactly Satanic or Luciferian (unless one sees Odin as such a archetype), I'd like to mention Valhalla Rising. I recently watched this again, and was simply blown away. Beautiful landscapes, and continued more and less subtle hints to Odin made this a hypnotic experience to me. People critique this film because "nothing happens" in it, and "they don't talk enough", but the way I see it, it was near perfect. The main character indeed doesn't speak once in the film but there's no need for that.

Runes, hints towards Odinic / Wotan rituals and symbols, great camerawork. Good acting.

But lately I've been bombarded with Odin-themed synchronism again so perhaps this was spot on to my current mood...! I would have linked the trailer, but it isn't very good. If you watch this film, watch in HD.
Heith

Post by Heith »

I just watched through BBC documentary series "The Bible's Buried Secrets", hosted by Dr. Francesca Stavrakopoulou. There was some new things to me here, and even if at times she has a slightly irritating manner of argument, I found these to be quite interesting nevertheless. Well, I love everything that has to do with archaeology.

part one: Episode 1: Did King David's Empire Exist?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN9zeDjlK8o

part two: Did God have a wife?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t2OJGVMNfc

part three: The Real Garden of Eden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccih0oP-OYA
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Muchas Gracias for linking these. I watched these when they first aired and have been meaning to link them to my dad - who's a Quaker - for ages, but have never been able to remember.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

I've been watching the first season of True Detective starring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. The MacGuffin is basically two detectives who have to try and catch a serial killer or killers. However the real reason to watch is the detectives' relationship with each other. Harrelson basically plays the flawed family man, while McConaughey's character is probably the most Satanic I can remember having seen in any TV show. It's a Southern Gothic so perhaps the setting accentuates this somewhat.

Apparently the writer of the series was very much influenced by Thomas Ligotti, whom I have never read, but who certainly seems to have some fans here. There's clearly some David Lynch appreciation going on as well.

Naturally this is American TV, so when people are serious they have to either whisper or bellow at each other and characters have the most obvious flaws to set off plot devices, but ignoring such cheesiness I think it's pretty good :D.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Heith wrote:Not exactly Satanic or Luciferian (unless one sees Odin as such a archetype), I'd like to mention Valhalla Rising. I recently watched this again, and was simply blown away. Beautiful landscapes, and continued more and less subtle hints to Odin made this a hypnotic experience to me. People critique this film because "nothing happens" in it, and "they don't talk enough", but the way I see it, it was near perfect. The main character indeed doesn't speak once in the film but there's no need for that.

Runes, hints towards Odinic / Wotan rituals and symbols, great camerawork. Good acting.

But lately I've been bombarded with Odin-themed synchronism again so perhaps this was spot on to my current mood...! I would have linked the trailer, but it isn't very good. If you watch this film, watch in HD.
Valhalla Rising was great! It was so different than I expected it to be that it was nearly magical experience. Boundary breaking!

Event Horizon, Ninth Gate and Eyes wide shut anyone? Lord of Illusions is also something to try. Have anyone seen the material of Antero Alli? I haven't.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

As a fan of Film Noires (and Neo Noires) I watched The Ninth Gate and really enjoyed it. The plot was similar in many ways to the two Umberto Eco books I'm familiar with: Foucault's Pendulum (which I guess you might be familiar with being an Eye member?) and In the Name of the Rose. The second of these I'm only familiar with due to the film adaption which I will now recommend :P.

Valhalla Rising is a film I must get round to watching. I've had it on my rental list for at least a year, but have always postponed actually getting it because I was always under what now looks like an incredibly false impression that the film was similar in nature to 300 :oops:. Nothing wrong with big, dumb movies - I actually really like 300 - but because the subject's Norse mythology and very dear to me, I wasn't sure if I could bare such a suspected treatment of my pet subject :lol:.

I've never heard of Lord of Illusions but that's added to the list.
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Jiva wrote:I've been watching the first season of True Detective starring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. The MacGuffin is basically two detectives who have to try and catch a serial killer or killers. However the real reason to watch is the detectives' relationship with each other. Harrelson basically plays the flawed family man, while McConaughey's character is probably the most Satanic I can remember having seen in any TV show. It's a Southern Gothic so perhaps the setting accentuates this somewhat.

Apparently the writer of the series was very much influenced by Thomas Ligotti, whom I have never read, but who certainly seems to have some fans here. There's clearly some David Lynch appreciation going on as well.

Naturally this is American TV, so when people are serious they have to either whisper or bellow at each other and characters have the most obvious flaws to set off plot devices, but ignoring such cheesiness I think it's pretty good :D.

Actually I have been trying to watch this program when I could make some free time for myself. And I must say that I love what I have seen so far.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Heith

Post by Heith »

Jiva wrote: Valhalla Rising is a film I must get round to watching. I've had it on my rental list for at least a year, but have always postponed actually getting it because I was always under what now looks like an incredibly false impression that the film was similar in nature to 300 :oops:. Nothing wrong with big, dumb movies - I actually really like 300 - but because the subject's Norse mythology and very dear to me, I wasn't sure if I could bare such a suspected treatment of my pet subject :lol:.
Oh, tell me about it. I won't even begin how painful experience the movie "Thor" was for me. (Or the Conan remake but that's a different thing haha!)

Valhalla Rising could be said to be a art film. It's not a action film, but has a lot of symbolism and interesting references to Odinic cults etc. Once you get around to watch it, I am happy to discuss the many points of this wonderful movie :D
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

I finally got round to watching Valhalla Rising. Actually, I've watched it a few times although I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. One part of the film that I can definitely say I like a lot is the section where everyone is drugged by the general and One Eye starts balancing rocks. I guess the rocks could be interpreted as a totem, representative of the fate he has inherited and does nothing to change.

I also couldn't help but think that the tribesmen were supposed to be Skræling, perhaps symbolic of discovering/founding a 'new kingdom' on a new continent. Additionally, Mads Mikkelsen is a great actor :D.

Actually, I'd forgotten that I've seen Thor. Fairly terrible, but not as awful as Beowulf :P.