San la Muerte/Santa Muerte

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Jiva

San la Muerte/Santa Muerte

Post by Jiva »

I've recently read a little regarding the various South and Central American cults surrounding San la Muerte and Santa Muerte and was wondering if any members or guests have researched or had any dealings with him/her? There doesn't seem to be any especially viable estimate regarding the number of followers, but based on anecdotal evidence it seems likely that in a numerical sense, the various figures facilitate the worship of one of the most popular LHP traditions on the planet.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Seeker666

Re: San la Muerte/Santa Muerte

Post by Seeker666 »

I honor and revere La Santa Muerte.
and Senor La Muerte.
but I am not a member nor practitioner of the current 182/218
though I do enjoy reading those works and am inspired by their mythology.
"Eritis sicut Deus, Scientes Bonum et Malum"- Mephistopheles
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Seeker666 wrote: though I do enjoy reading those works and am inspired by their mythology.

Same goes for me. However, only source I have read about San La Muerte is Liber Falxifer and Wikipedia. All the sources on web were in Spanish language. If you can suggest any other source in English, I am glad to read more.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Seeker666

Post by Seeker666 »

Fomalhaut wrote:
Seeker666 wrote: though I do enjoy reading those works and am inspired by their mythology.

Same goes for me. However, only source I have read about San La Muerte is Liber Falxifer and Wikipedia. All the sources on web were in Spanish language. If you can suggest any other source in English, I am glad to read more.

None for SLM I'm afraid, though there is an excellent English book called "Devoted To Death: Santa Muerte, The Skeleton Saint" by R. Andrew Chestnut
"Eritis sicut Deus, Scientes Bonum et Malum"- Mephistopheles
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Seeker666 wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:

None for SLM I'm afraid, though there is an excellent English book called "Devoted To Death: Santa Muerte, The Skeleton Saint" by R. Andrew Chestnut

Thanks for your suggestion, The book is added to long queue of must read books.
— C.G. Jung
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Actually, the prompt for this thread was reading R. Andrew Chesnut's Devoted to Death during a train journey. It looks like it's also the source for a lot of information on the Wikipedia page. Before this, like you, the only source of information I had was the Liber Falxifer publications and interview, which obviously portray an anti-cosmic Satanist interpretation of the Argentine version of San la Muerte folk belief.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that there doesn't seem to be very much philosophical grounding in worship of San la Muerte as recorded by either Chesnut or the Liber Falxifer books. By this I mean a large amount of the rituals are conducted for material gain, either in terms of wealth or effecting someone else (and accordingly also protection from others).

Seeker666, have you seen any of the films Chesnut mentions? So far I've only managed to find a torrent of Macario, which I think is an excellent film. Death does seem to fulfil the role of Santa de la Buena Muerte (as mentioned in Liber Falxifer I), but he also seems almost entirely detatched from the figures of God and Satan who appear towards the beginning and end of the film.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Jiva wrote: One thing that sticks in my mind is that there doesn't seem to be very much philosophical grounding in worship of San la Muerte as recorded by either Chesnut or the Liber Falxifer books. By this I mean a large amount of the rituals are conducted for material gain, either in terms of wealth or effecting someone else (and accordingly also protection from others).
I see it normal not to have any philosophical grounding in those books because I think it would require to live within that culture enough long time to be able to have such a grounding.
— C.G. Jung
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Fomalhaut wrote:I see it normal not to have any philosophical grounding in those books because I think it would require to live within that culture enough long time to be able to have such a grounding.

The world today is so synchretistic (and personally I see definitely more good than bad in that) that not many people can find their grounding in so factual a sense. But I agree with fra Jiva in that it seems bizarre indeed if death worship manifests itself in a form of seeking pleasure or power.

Yet, the extremities do touch, & one especially devoted to an extreme philosophy (of death, for example) very easily finds oneself drifting exactly to the opposite direction, for to gain the necessary subconscious balance... Let's have a look at the those doctrines which preach poverty & abstinence: they often tend to have the most megalomaniacal marble & gold temples, even the most political power before long. That's how the subconscious works, and precisely because of that the only durable answer lies in equilibrium of the opposite forces.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Spinos

Post by Spinos »

Hello everyone,

Qayin is worked within the Necrosophic Current 182 and SLM is "just" one of His folk-magical masks in our tradition. This is done in the same way as other folk-magical cults have masked their saints through other symbolically suitable forms, as exemplified in the first section of the first Liber Falxifer.

Why SLM was chosen has been explained by the Magister Templi of T.F.C. in the interview he gave for Ixaxaar, please read it if interested in these topics, as I still see people having strange ideas about this work in different places even after all the clear explanations given in that interview: http://www.ixaxaar.com/218-interview-2.html

There has never been stated anywhere that the SLM of Argentina is Qayin for the majority of the Argentinian devotees, instead it's 182 manifesting itself in the crossing of certain aspects of SLM and that of Baal-Qayin of 218.

Qayin is not some Argentinian Guarani god or some dead Jesuit sanctified, which are a couple of the exoteric connections made to SLM, but the symbolic forms and titles of SLM all corresponds to Qayin in the different forms he is venerated in 182/218.

Santa Muerte and San la Muerte is not the same, by the way...

Hail Qayin Falxifer, the Lord and Saint of Death!
SanatKumara

Post by SanatKumara »

I havwe been having this weird magnetism towards Qayin for some time now. I have been fighting againt it, because i know the dangers of necromancy and that it is very hard to control, at least when things start to work. And i also have burned myself once with too many graveyard rites.

What do you brothers nd sisters think i should do? Dive into the cave to find what i am looking for, or to stay on my allready chosen Path and Work? Or do you think that this is some subconcious magnetism towards Him? Since i hve been always intrested in the dark and sinister and Qayin is a bit mystery to myself.
My heart is Your home! O Mother! Dance in the Charnel ground of my heart which You created and turn me into a warrior of Yours!