CG Jung

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
Azoth

CG Jung

Post by Azoth »

I've noticed that Carl Jung is a popular figure amongst the brotherhood. And rightly so! I've had a fascination with his ideas since coming across 'Man and his Symbols' when I was a University student and have found much of value in his works ever since. Synchronicity is probably one of his most interesting theories, as presented in 'Synchronicity: an Acausal Connecting Principle'. This concept is taken to some interesting conclusions in Allan Combs and Mark Holland's 'Synchronicity: Science, Myth and the Trickster', which presents documented evidence of cases of Synchronicity.

A concept of interest in mine is The Shadow, which I've presented a brief explanation about, in an old article of mine here, because I guess to most of us the aspect of personal and archetypal darkness is the most fascinating, especially in the context of attaining Unity through the realization it.
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph - Robert E. Howard, Beyond the Black River.
Jiva

Re: CG Jung

Post by Jiva »

Synchronicity is actually one of the most valuable books I have read so far as it made me realise a fuller importance of love regarding the intent behind actions and life in general. (“Love” roughly corresponding with general interest and belief here). Aside from re-reading Jung's book a number of times I haven't done any further reading as I find it a difficult concept to grasp. However I have now bought Combs's and Holland's book so I look forward to reading that. A cursory flick through has basically assured me it will be an excellent and very useful read. So yeah, thanks for the recommendation.

Regarding the wider topic, Jung is of massive importance when it comes to the occult; I would guess there are very few who follow any occult path in the Western world who haven't been influenced by him. However, I've noticed that many critiques of Jung are based on how he describes the relationship between the conscious and the unconscious. Aside from generally agreeing that I don't believe the interaction between the two is as one-sided as Jung posits, and that I think Jung himself may have been restricted by Christian (general, hermetic, gnostic and alchemical) limitations, I don't consider myself qualified to offer much of an analysis here.

One aspect of general mythology that Jung seems to omit (although I have by no means read everything he wrote) is reincarnation. Although he focusses more on Christianity and Western philosophy this by no means excludes the topic as some early Christian gnostics believed in reincarnation and Kant could be interpreted as having accepted it as well to give two disparate examples. However, I guess since Jung concerned himself with unity and release through spiritual rebirth it makes sense.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Yesterday arrived my latest book order, including Liber Novus' reader's edition and Main's Jung on Synchronicity and the Paranormal. Especially the first, of which I earlier saw the incredible pictures in another edition, seems extremely interesting; the latter's contents might be already familiar to some degree by now.

Often C.G. Jung seems to be first met either in the book of Symbols fra Azoth mentioned, or by his (auto)biography Dreams, Memories, Recollections. The latter especially is a book I would heartily recommend to any occultist, for it unites personal to both transpersonal, scientific & religious attitudes under honesty, love, & personal striving.

Jiva wrote:general mythology that Jung seems to omit (although I have by no means read everything he wrote) is reincarnation.

Yes, and in this, he is very Occidental (I mean modern) kind of a seeker. For me personally, this nowadays very common line of thought seems quite hard to symphatize with, but it certainly seems to be a major idea of our civilization: this question "What if I cease to be?"

And from that basis it's also understandable that Jung couldn't/wouldn't take too easy an approach for that subject. His own study focused precisely on that how fragile & malleable is a human psyche, and how it transfixes itself to different "not-selves", or unorthodoxial & changeable forms of the self. Thus Jungian psychology is like a backdoor to Vedanta, once again like a tantric path to âtmic unity. In that, I take it as a very good way in this Kali Yuga where sensations, tremors & traumas - and possibilities for personal growth - are plentiful.

Azoth wrote:A concept of interest in mine is The Shadow, which I've presented a brief explanation about, in an old article of mine here, because I guess to most of us the aspect of personal and archetypal darkness is the most fascinating, especially in the context of attaining Unity through the realization it.

Brother Obnoxion just wrote elsewhere about a short characterization of the Jungian Shadow, that it can be "either empathic or cruel", & some discussion followed how this should be interpreted, & whether or not Shadow's inspiration could be actually benevolent (without it being first realized).

Unfortunately it seems that your blog has become for invitation only.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nefastos wrote:... Liber Novus' reader's edition and Main's Jung on Synchronicity and the Paranormal. Especially the first, of which I earlier saw the incredible pictures in another edition, seems extremely interesting; the latter's contents might be already familiar to some degree by now.
I have actually seen the original Red Book this summer, as well as some artwork by Jung. It was amazing. We weren't allowed to take photographs but my friend secretly snapped a few anyway. I will post them, and others, if the quality is any good. Or I might post anyway :)
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Yes, please do that.

I always find it amusing that Jung himself only very hesitatingly accepted & published (or rather left unpublished) material that was superb compared to modern occultists' astral visions of which they (us??) are so proud. Jung's psychoanalysis & personal working - the two of which are hard to separate - possibly give the best available ground to do one's astral practice. It's immensely healthier way than the usual pseudo-occult self-hypnosis.

I'm not saying he was a saint in all respects, but his work was simply outstanding in its effect to get the modern culture closer to the healthiest & the most health-giving forms of the occult doctrines. And the piety with which he did it was exceptional. The modern world really owes him, and I think the future will owe him even more.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

I'm not a expert on Jung, but what I know of him makes me feel great admiration and respect towards him.

His artwork is simply... Well, I have no good word for this. Intriguing? Thought-provoking? Dreamy? Definitely something that should be shown to art students as a prime example of the work of a visionary.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

If the Red Book of Jung is unknown to some of our readers, for example here is a quick to read info about the subject, with a pair of pictures included.
Jung recorded it all. First taking notes in a series of small, black journals, he then expounded upon and analyzed his fantasies, writing in a regal, prophetic tone in the big red-leather book.

Next step will probably be the publishing of the lost White Tome of Jung. :mrgreen: