Miserere, Miserere, Domine

Questions directed to the Star of Azazel.
Jiva

Miserere, Miserere, Domine

Post by Jiva »

The Prayer to Azazel ends with the sentence “Miserere, miserere, domine” which Google translates for me as “Have mercy, have mercy, Lord”. As all the subsequent prayers relating to the Theosophic principles end in “Amen, Amen, Ameth” with an explanatory footnote that compares it to Aum and the Triple Key of atma-buddhi-manas, I wondered if there's a similar, comparative explanation for miserere, miserere, domine?
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Nefastos

Re: Miserere, Miserere, Domine

Post by Nefastos »

Surely it must be so, although I never came to think of that before. As both repeat the same mantric pattern, I think the whole is about manas & buddhi as the "two hands" that are joined, plus the âtma which is "the Truth" (in both).

Amen, Amen, Ameth (the latter is a bastardized form of Hebrew emeth, herein used like this because of the symbolic correspondence of the Hebrew aleph to our letter a) in the celestial hymns is to say like "Verily, Verily, [this is / let this be] the Truth".

Thus, herein the theurgist himself is the maker. In the Prayer to Azazel, the maker is the Master. So when we recite these the latter one first as usual, it is to "take in" the Master, or rather, calibrate ourselves to be Him. In the celestial hymns the emphasis is shifted: it is no longer the Master who acts "alone", but He acts through us.

It's similar than in the ceremony of the church, where the praying priest at first beholds the altar, and then turns to congregation. It's just we're not facing the congregation of men, but that of the spiritual hosts.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"