Tarot Decks

Questions directed to the Star of Azazel.

Which Tarot Deck(s) do you use? Why?

Total votes: 0
Fomalhaut

Tarot Decks

Post by Fomalhaut »

Do you use Tarot cards? If you use, which deck is the most significant at your Work? Since I started Tarot, I have been using Thoth Deck. I love the art in there, all the colours and paintings are perfectly explaining the meaning of each card in my imaginary.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Nefastos

Re: Tarot Decks

Post by Nefastos »

As far as I know, the Thoth deck seems to be quite popular in SOA members' use. It may be more because of the artistic feeling of the cards that it is because of Aleister Crowley's personal views, but that's just a guess. Personally I like the Classic Tarot deck best, although I use Rider-Waite deck (& sometimes others) in other occasions. I'm also eager to see if the long term project of the (new) Star of Azazel tarot deck by one of our artist members will culminate at some point.

In some esoteric schools the students were required to copy their own deck from the inner instructions. I think that is a very good practice, but it would demand quite a structured (linear) process of studying. Perhaps it might be considered a part of (e.g.) the Serpent Aspect practice one day.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Nefastos wrote:As far as I know, the Thoth deck seems to be quite popular in SOA members' use. It may be more because of the artistic feeling of the cards that it is because of Aleister Crowley's personal views, but that's just a guess.
Personally, I have a little bit of interest on Crowley's views. However, I love Thoth deck because of its artistic feeling.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Insanus

Post by Insanus »

I use the Thoth deck. It's very rich in interesting symbolism, though it can be quite messy to comprehend at times. I haven't really used the Tarot much lately, because the Book of Thoth goes over my head too often & I don't trust my intuition with all of the cards yet.
Jumalan synnit ovat kourallinen hiekkaa ihmisen valtameressä