Which version(s) of Bible do you read?

Questions directed to the Star of Azazel.
obnoxion

Re: Which version(s) of Bible do you read?

Post by obnoxion »

Thank you for the recommendations, fra Jiva! I'll be sure the check these out. I try to have many different translations at hand. But while literal translations is an admirable goal, there is always much depth lost. A good example would be janus parallelism in the Book of Job. In this case all the meanings of the original Hebrew word are used simultanously, making literal interpretation - let alone literal translation - unthinkable. And these are the things that, for me, make the Bible divine: the super-human poetry.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

obnoxion wrote:But while literal translations is an admirable goal, there is always much depth lost. A good example would be janus parallelism in the Book of Job. In this case all the meanings of the original Hebrew word are used simultanously, making literal interpretation - let alone literal translation - unthinkable. And these are the things that, for me, make the Bible divine: the super-human poetry.
Ah, I see what you mean - it makes a lot more sense to me now.

As it hasn't been mentioned here, I would also like to recommend to people the Hodder Dictionary of Bible Themes. It does exactly what you would imagine and makes finding passages regarding themes incredibly easy. There are actually two lists:
  • A list of abstract themes. Random examples include the obvious, such as Jesus, Zion and so on, but also things such as consistency, gallows, snow etc.
  • A list from Genesis to Revelation of themes on a verse by verse basis.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Biblia 1776(Finnish) and King James Version. Don't trust modern bibles which are based on untested most likely forged(especially Codex Sinaiticus) and Codex Vaticanus manuscripts.