Blood sacrifice

Questions directed to the Star of Azazel.
Nefastos

Blood sacrifice

Post by Nefastos »

A question was asked:
I would like to know about the stand of the Star of Azazel concerning Blood sacrifices, be it the use of our own human blood or blood from animals as in many necromancy rites. And the offerings to the Demons on the altar.

SOA's policy is strongly against harming other beings, especially so in the context of devotional or occult practice. Our philosophy sees such sacrifices both unethical and giving only short term help, because according to our thought, the greater price must also be paid. Giving pain or taking life will hinder, not help, our own development & the cosmic path of return to perfect night in the long run; such is the credo of all the paths of ascension.

Thus, if it becomes known that a brother or a sister performs a blood sacrifice by killing or harming another being, human or animal, it is most likely that such a member will be expelled, for it is against the very basic ethics of the Star of Azazel. On the other hand, giving one's own blood is more complicated, and would remain as an issue of open debate. Some brethren would approve, some disapprove, but either way it would remain as one's personal choice.

Another thing are the goals of such a sacrifice. Those kinds of elementals (spirits, demons) that are attracted to spilled blood are the kind with which beneficent work is not easily done. That kind of pact between the one who sacrifices & the spirits is almost always contrary to our goals of releasing souls from the blinds of the lesser gods, collectively called the Demiurge, or more neutrally materialism, or by other names.

Personally, I stopped making blood sacrifice to any entities when I fully understood that the microcosmic body is not actually mine to give, but is a compound thing made of goetic entities. (See Fosforos, footnote 49.)
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Seeker666

Re: Blood sacrifice

Post by Seeker666 »

well, if one were raising their animals for food, would it not be preferable to slaughter your own food? rather than the unbelievably cruel methods of the slaughterhouses? and if one is spiritual, instead of simply killing the animal for food, could it's blood be spilt in devotion?, and a ritual feast prepared from the meat? the bones and skins could be kept and made into fetish objects or used to adorn the altar. and the blood given in offering, the meat cooked and made into a feast.
would this be an acceptable form of ritual sacrifice?
"Eritis sicut Deus, Scientes Bonum et Malum"- Mephistopheles
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

If one would really be able to live such life, raising one's own livestock & then butchering it both for food & as a ritual act of devotion with a minimal agony afflicted to the animal as you said, then I think the brotherhood as a whole would have nothing to say against such a practice. Although it would depend on many other factors in a member's life besides. (I have personally known wholesome people who would be able to live such a life & remain upright in their spiritual ethos, & also people for whom such a life would be a life committed to the worship of actually lowest kind of elemental spirits.)

As it comes to aspect workings, it would remain under jurisdiction of one's aspect guide. I think it might be possible under Red, but impossible under White, for example.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

I think quite a large number of SOA members are vegetarians. I am as well- though I'm by no means squeamish, and frequently collect dead animals, bones, and such things that cross my path.

As to what Nefastos said, I've to agree- I think to be able to raise one's own animals (say, cattle) and to be able to butcher them in a fashion that is professional (aka, the person really knows what they are doing, and does not cause stress or excess suffering to the animal/s in question) is not something that many people manage. But if they would, I see no problem in this. And definitely, I see a problem in refusing to acknowledge what it is that one eats- for example I can't understand people who eat meat, and don't want to think what sort of a animal it used to be, or how it died. One ought to be thankful and respectful. And absolutely, I find slaughterhouses and such to be despicable places, and am disgusted by the way the food industry treats animals. But I best not say more of this, because I can start to rant. Sorry :)

I have not felt the need to sacrifice blood (because to whom would I sacrifice? Myself? I've not felt a desire to court anyone's or anything's favor in said manner). With that said, I do some forms of blood magic (seeking merely to extend my own energy field to certain symbols in order to connect with them better), but I only use my own blood, and I never cut myself to obtain it. I've no fear of cutting myself, I've just felt that the result is often not desirable after all.

edit: typos