What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Benemal

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post by Benemal »

I'm reading Kraftwerk Publikation, by David Buckley. The most famous and influentialKrautrock band.
Really good book. Apart from just Kraftwerk, it's about West-German music from 60's to 80's, and these bands massive influence. One of the greatest things ever to happen in music. Avant garde bands in the larger German cities at about 1966 started to do similar type of music, unaware of each other. Perhaps more on that in music thread.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Speaking of music and books I've been reading Zanoni by Edwards Bulwer-Lytton. I've had three novels on my reading list and this one had the priviledge to be the first of those because the themes have been floating in the air quite omniously for some time now. Haven't gotten too far in the book yet, but the beginning includes magnificent descriptions of music, and in the following quote there's wonderfully familiar depiction of how spirits can be seen in music. For me, observing music was the sole branch to hold on to before any organized system of theology or 'science' related to the spirits had revealed promising at all. I rarely even gave too much attention to the lyrics, I just listened the music and the "aesthetic" of the instruments and production to perceive what it was and in what relation it was to my growing hunger of idealism.
Zanoni wrote:The music, once admitted to the soul, becomes also a sort of spirit, and never dies. It wanders perturbedly through the halls and galleries of the memory, and is often heard again, distinct and living as when it first displaced the wavelets of the air. Now at times, then, these phantoms of sound floated back upon her fancy; if gay, to call a smile from every dimple; if mournful, to throw a shade upon her brow,—to make her cease from her childishmirth, and sit apart and muse.

Rightly, then, in a typical sense, might this fair creature, so airy in her shape, so harmonious in her beauty, so unfamiliar in her ways and thoughts,—rightly might she be called a daughter, less of the musician than the music, a being for whom you could imagine that some fate was reserved, less of actual life than the romance which, to eyes that can see, and hearts that can feel, glides ever along WITH the actual life, stream by stream, to the Dark Ocean.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Visiting a second hand bookstore that I regularly visit, I found a book titled Azazel, by Isaac Asimov. I'd never heard of it. I know Asimov as a science fiction and non-fiction science writer. He was pretty fresh in my mind because I had read Caves Of Steel, at christmas. This "Azazel" book is about a two centimeter tall red little demon, who has been summoned semi-accidentally, by a cynical middle aged man in New York City, in the 1980's (all the stories were written in the 80's and Asimov was an old man then). This man then tells little stories to Isaac Asimov, of how he asked the demon to use his powers to help various people. Something always goes wrong. For example; a basketball player is made perfect at throwing the ball in to the basket, but nobody mentioned to Azazel, that he's supposed to put the ball in just one of the two baskets. The player throws the ball in whatever basket is closest. Except taking place in NY in the 80's, with some modern issues, these stories are old school.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I also recently visited a second hand store and found Goethe's Elective Affinities. I've only read Faust from Goethe, so i'm looking forward to getting to this hopefully today. We'll see how my secret doctrine studies go :ugeek:
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Boreas wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:33 pmRight now I'm reading Allen Carr's 'Viimeinkin Savuton' (Smokeless at last). I think I need to stop smoking after I finish this.
Didn't read the book quoted but managed to stay smokeless for over a week without any difficulty (I used some snus though in the first few days). Then I fell again. After tonight's re-creationary drinking I'm again attempting to stop this useless and bad habit.

I've been (re-)reading mostly Guénon the last few weeks. Insights into Islamic Esoterism and Taoism, Spiritual Authority and Temporal Power, and now I'm currently reading Perspectives on Initiation. Like I said in the Initiation topic, I'm suffering from kama manasic overload because of this, so I guess I'll read some prose or fiction next, or take a break from reading altogether.

The other day I also perused through the "Who's Who in the Bible" by Peter Calvocoressi. Very good source book for finding about the different characters in the Bible.

Also have been reading articles from Gornahoor and Cakravartin, the latest ones dealing with the Yuga Cycle: http://www.cakravartin.com/archives/the ... -dev-misra
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Not at the moment, but hopefully soon, I will be reading a beautiful, new edition of "Seth, God of Confusion" by H. te Velde. This book is quite easy to find for free from the internet, but the cheapest copies of it cost well over 200 euros in the used book shops - and that is only for the cheapest quality, because for a neat copy the prices more than double. Now, I know this book is a treasure, so I'm constantly on the hunt for affordable copy.

Now I found out that Ajns has published a limited version of 500 copies for 49 euros The new edition is also improved:

"New foreword by Egyptologist Anne Landborg, and includes an updated, extensive bibliography. A great feature of this new edition is a first time English translation of all the important French and German phrases and notes found in the original printing."

The delivery to Finland did cost over 30 euros, but it is still much less than I was willing to spend on the old version. I know that this is a sort of free comercial for Ajna, but what can you do when this kind of opportunity is offered. This is basically the only really good book on the Egyptian God Seth. And it has great illustrations, too:

https://www.theajnaoffensive.com/produc ... dback-book
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Krepusculum

Post by Krepusculum »

Currently reading:

-Orthodoxy - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

An excellent philosophical discourse of Christian apologetics. The author's personal journey and struggles in acceptance of western Theology. Chesterton is witty and astute truly living up to the title as the "prince of paradox".

In addition daily chapters of the King James Version Bible for further contemplation.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

The Hobbit actually. I intend to read The Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion at some point as well, too many things to read to be honest. I will start reading Apocrypha Lucifera and Azazelin Avain after they arrive...these will be my main read and study for quite some time.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Mostly reading history recently and also historical novels. Next up on that line; Daniel Chavarria's The Eye Of Cybele and Gene Wolfe's Soldier Of The Mist. Both are set in ancient Greece around 500 B.C.E. Not historical, I just reread Neal Stephenson's Interface. Only a genius could write a book about US presidential elections, that anyone would want read again. Looking forward to november, when there's a new one, from my favorite novelist. I'll reread John Wyndham's Day Of The Triffids soon, and I need to acquire Kraken Wakes too, which is also great.
Don't know about occult stuff. Have had no interest lately.

Like many people, there's too much on my neverending list.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

A Pattern Language, which I have praised on the forum on several occasions, is slowly advancing towards end (I'm on page 920/1169). I just started Radcliffe's The Italian, and am curious to see whether I'll have strength to read it through: as romantically inclined as I am, some of the old gothic novels just become too much to finish with their moustache-twirling fiendish noblemen and fainting damsels. Pekka Siitoin's version of the The Protocols of the Elders of Zion will soon be finished. Very interesting to read, since it shows so extremely well how people project the exact shadow of their own casting onto their imaginary enemies. Also Dicta Catonis (Teachings of Cato the Elder) for the Finnish forum commentary – to be concluded in the next week, I believe.

Every now and then I come back to slowly advancing H.P. Blavatsky's Letters to A.P. Sinnett, and Abhinavagupta's Tantrasâra: these are too heavy to read systematically, but they are great to delve into in some warm summer moments, when you can take a stray hour to contemplate esoteric ideas in a bus or a train, or under a tree. W.B. Yeats' Vision and Malcolm Barber's The Trial of the Templars are currently on hold because their methods of presentation started to feel cumbersome regardless of the interesting topics. They might be more like winter reading?

And just recently I read through Pratchett's Moving Pictures, which every page I hated with zealous hatred.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"