Sources on Azazel

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Krepusculum

Sources on Azazel

Post by Krepusculum »

What can you recommend as credible sources in print form or online that give good insight into the nature of Azazel?
Cerastes

Re: Sources on Azazel

Post by Cerastes »

The first thing that spontaneously came to my mind here is brother obnoxion's article "Aspects of Azazel" in Unseen Fire 1.
It's a longer article with a lot of different perspectives in mythology and if you did not read it yet, I can highly recomend it.
-
The second thing is EA Koetting's "book of Azazel" but my mother taught me to either say something nice or say nothing at all. So..ehmm....nothing.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Krepusculum

Post by Krepusculum »

Cerastes wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:22 pm The first thing that spontaneously came to my mind here is brother obnoxion's article "Aspects of Azazel" in Unseen Fire 1.
It's a longer article with a lot of different perspectives in mythology and if you did not read it yet, I can highly recomend it.
-
The second thing is EA Koetting's "book of Azazel" but my mother taught me to either say something nice or say nothing at all. So..ehmm....nothing.
Indeed a very good article. I have Unseen Fire I so will re-read it just because you mentioned it.

EA Koetting what to say... well I bought three of his 1st edition books when Ixaxaar published them and sold them quicker than I had read them.
Besides I would be more interested in religious and philosophical texts than such dubious ritual practices.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I would highly recommend Andrei A. Orlov's "Dark Mirrors: Azazel and Satanael in Early Jewish Demonology".

Nigel Jackson and Michael Howard's "Pillars of Tubal-Cain" is also recommended.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Krepusculum

Post by Krepusculum »

obnoxion wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 pm I would highly recommend Andrei A. Orlov's "Dark Mirrors: Azazel and Satanael in Early Jewish Demonology".

Thank you Obnoxion. Looking at the list of Orlov's publications I feel inspired to go through a few of them.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Krepusculum wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 pm
obnoxion wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 pm I would highly recommend Andrei A. Orlov's "Dark Mirrors: Azazel and Satanael in Early Jewish Demonology".

Thank you Obnoxion. Looking at the list of Orlov's publications I feel inspired to go through a few of them.
Indeed! I am currently waiting for my copy of "Divine Scapegoats" to arrive. And I am also waiting for the cheaper paperback version of "The Greatest Mirror" to become available in my regular online bookstore.

This world of Jewish mythology and folklore is richly explored in Howard Schwartz's works - for example "Tree of Souls" and "Lilith's Cave". I used the "Tree of Souls" as a source for the UF#1 article on Azazel. His books include vital Azazel mythos, but also offer the broader context for them. And unlike Orlov's, Schwartz's books are quite affordable!
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

obnoxion wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 pmI would highly recommend Andrei A. Orlov's "Dark Mirrors: Azazel and Satanael in Early Jewish Demonology".

I have followed these Obnoxion's suggestions earlier and found them excellent. It has been a long time since I read Pillars of Tubal-Cain, but at the time I was surprised how similar authors' views was to my own books' intuitions. Orlov's books I have read later, and Dark Mirrors is indeed laudable. In addition to Azazel's, it is recommendable for those interested in the aspects of Samael and Satanael. I just took notes from Orlov's "Enoch-Metatron Tradition" (from a library book my lady friend had borrowed), and "The Greatest Mirror: The Counterparts in the Jewish Pseudepigraha" also just arrived in mail. It was quite affordable, unlike E-MT.

Of course, one should also read the Books of Enoch. Lumpkin's version is ugly but affordable, and includes all the equally important Enoch books 1-3. And one doesn't feel bad when writing notes on these lax paperback pages.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Krepusculum

Post by Krepusculum »

obnoxion wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:08 am
This world of Jewish mythology and folklore is richly explored in Howard Schwartz's works - for example "Tree of Souls" and "Lilith's Cave". I used the "Tree of Souls" as a source for the UF#1 article on Azazel. His books include vital Azazel mythos, but also offer the broader context for them. And unlike Orlov's, Schwartz's books are quite affordable!
This might be a good introduction for me to Jewish mythology also. Besides the more general themes I must admit I am not very well acquainted with Jewish scripts and literature.
Nefastos wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:23 am
Of course, one should also read the Books of Enoch. Lumpkin's version is ugly but affordable, and includes all the equally important Enoch books 1-3. And one doesn't feel bad when writing notes on these lax paperback pages.[/color]
Good thing you suggested this because I've been pondering on getting The Book of Enoch. This edition is indeed quite affordable considering the page count.