Terry Pratchett

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Cerastes

Terry Pratchett

Post by Cerastes »

I realized that there is not a single Terry Prattchet thread here, a gap that must be closed immediately. :)
There is barely a novel author who was able to create complex, colourful and humorous fantasy worlds like him. I was re-reading “Mort” and “The colours of magic” lately and it still makes me smile. It's a very subtle humour with a lot of irony and every character has his own imperfection. There are no heroes like, for example, at J.K. Rowling's novels and this is what makes it sympathetic.

Are there any Pratchett readers here?
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Heith

Re: Terry Pratchett

Post by Heith »

Cerastes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:32 pm
I have read one or two books from Pratchett after they were recommended to me. I remember one of them was about death.

I was unable to grasp the humor in Pratchett's writing, and I found either the writing or the world (or possibly both, I forget) to be somehow gimmicky and uninteresting. But I understand from the popularity of his books that in disliking the books I most likely am in the minority. It is also possible that because they were recommended my expectations were too high.

Let's add that I'm not opposed to fantasy writing, as I have enjoyed for example J.K.Rowling a lot.
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

Heith wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:30 pm
Cerastes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:32 pm
I have read one or two books from Pratchett after they were recommended to me. I remember one of them was about death.

I was unable to grasp the humor in Pratchett's writing, and I found either the writing or the world (or possibly both, I forget) to be somehow gimmicky and uninteresting. But I understand from the popularity of his books that in disliking the books I most likely am in the minority. It is also possible that because they were recommended my expectations were too high.

Let's add that I'm not opposed to fantasy writing, as I have enjoyed for example J.K.Rowling a lot.
I borrowed the book about death (Mort?) to friend who has said exactly the same thing about it afterwards. I think the humor just does not suit everyone.
Harry Potter is not for me. I read the first book and my friends persuaded me to watch the movies by using pizza and emotional violence but I still do not understand the hype about it although I admittedly like Voldemorts style.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

A while back I started reading Good Omens, because I thought it's better to read it before watching the show, which I got interested in mostly because of the actors, and also I'm a fan of Gaiman. Hated the book. I read about 100 pages and could have perhaps tolerated it, if not for the false starts. One of the biggest sins for a writer. I love English humour. It seems I love it in the forms of sketch shows and sitcoms and humorous writing touches me in the wrong places (I just remembered once starting Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy which also made me puke). As a show (it's actually made by Gaiman) it might work. I'll give Pratchett another chance. Maybe one of those Discworld classics, but if everything is silly and awkward and witty and light hearted, it's a no-go.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Cerastes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:56 pm
I borrowed the book about death (Mort?) to friend who has said exactly the same thing about it afterwards. I think the humor just does not suit everyone.
Harry Potter is not for me. I read the first book and my friends persuaded me to watch the movies by using pizza and emotional violence but I still do not understand the hype about it although I admittedly like Voldemorts style.
Well, I can certainly see why you don't like them if you have watched the films. If I recall correctly, Rowling was not happy with them either.
Silvaeon

Post by Silvaeon »

I'm a fairly avid fantasy reader, although Pratchett is one of those authors that I've never really gotten around to for no real reason. One of these days I would like to take on some of the classic discworld novels though. Lately, I like reading fantasy and trying to view the magic and characters through a bit of an occult lens and trying to find lessons there.

Interestingly enough, the one novel of his that I have read, at the beginning of this year, was Good Omens. I really enjoyed the dynamic between the Angel and the Demon, how they ultimately were working towards the same goal, and ultimately realize that everything must remain in balance (the merging of the hands?). It was also possibly the most fun I've ever had reading a novel, and I really enjoyed the humor. I wasn't aware that a TV show was being made until after the fact, but i'll definitely watch it despite the silly looking CGI effects judging from the trailer.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Basically a reversal of my experience, for you Silvaeon. I doubt reading further, would have helped, but this made me think how a book can be ruined, if you start reading in the wrong mood, or wrong expectations. That has has happened with some of my favorite novelists, like Dan Simmons and Neal Stephenson, as well as with some esoteric books.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

I must confess I do not like Pratchett myself. But perhaps this is a possible point of diverge to a lighter reading as a whole.

I keep a habit of reading one very light book always along with the heavier reading. Just today I finished the Dragonlance Chronicles, my favourite book from the age of twelve. To make the recurrent readings more enjoyable, I sometimes put for myself some extra task in reading. This time, I counted the words "shrug" that the authors used. The sum total in the trilogy was 94. (In Dune trilogy it was 37.) Next time I read this I will count blushes. Nota bene: This mercilessness towards other authors blemishes in style have also created in me an explosion of mannerisms recently. Karma really is a breeding bitch. :lol:
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

As the chairman and only member of the SoA Pratchett Fan Club, which I just invented, I hereby announce that the disc world novels are awesome and all other opinions on this are invalid. :lol:
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Cerastes wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 pm As the chairman and only member of the SoA Pratchett Fan Club, which I just invented, I hereby announce that the disc world novels are awesome and all other opinions on this are invalid.
I guess it had to come this. Very well then, I proclaim that everyone shall henceforth bow down to Philip K. Dick. All those who shan't, shall't be burnt. :evil: