Jung, The Red Book

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Jiva

Re: Jung, The Red Book

Post by Jiva »

I'm basically fine with any time period, but as Nefastos mentioned, there are 32 chapters in The Red Book, as well as the lengthy Scrutinies section - one chapter a month would, therefore, amount to a quite a long period of time.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

I can't promise I'll be around at the latter part of a prolonged reading group, because I'm going to read the book, at my own fast pace, and then return it to the library, but if I love the book, perhaps I'll purchase it and can then reread interesting chapters when they're up.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Jiva wrote:I'm basically fine with any time period, but as Nefastos mentioned, there are 32 chapters in The Red Book, as well as the lengthy Scrutinies section - one chapter a month would, therefore, amount to a quite a long period of time.
I think we should perhaps think of another way to arrange the reading. It would take close to three years to finish the reading project. It is no longer than a proper psychoteraphy would last, and I should expect that this kind of book would become, in lack of a better phrase, a deep dive into the unconscious. Thus it might be beneficient to give it the three years. But there would obviously be a high propability of peopke droping out, as life situations tend to alter. And it can be a problem to keep up the intensity of the project on per-monthly phase. Obviously, there might also be needs to skip a month in the summer, and perhaps in December...

What do you say? Jung and the Red Book are so central to my interests and practices that I would still do it.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Anything's fine with me. Maybe we should start loosely. No structure, except turning pages and no specific date/time, when some part is supposed to be read. I've started reading it and can post something I found interesting, maybe next week.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote:Anything's fine with me.

Ditto. I will follow whatever plan Jiva and/or Obnoxion will choose.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Wyrmfang

Post by Wyrmfang »

I would also like to participate, but only after the book has arrived - I ordered it just a second ago. A slow schedule is very fine for me.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

If one chapter per month suits us all, I think we should go ahead with this plan. We have a fine group of seven here:

- Jiva (June)
- Benemal (July)
- Insanus (August)
- obnoxion (September)
- Nefasto (October)
- Wyrmfang (November)
- Astraya (December)

Would it be OK if Jiva begins by the end of June? That would mean that his turn would come up next on January 2019.

If anyone else has preferences on which month they would like to do their first chapters, I will wait for it, and will pick my month last.

I think we should make a deal that we can have two months off each year if needed. Obviously we can have more if we must, and any one can drop off anytime. But I hope we could try to go through with this as planned (if the plan is fine with everyone....?).

I also think that we should let forum members outside of this reading group to participate in our discussions if and when they wish. How do you feel about that? (You don't have to comment if you simply agree).
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Astraya

Post by Astraya »

I would like my chapter at the end of this year, thanks.
“There can be no transforming of darkness into light and of apathy into movement without emotion”
― Carl Gustav Jung
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Astraya wrote:I would like my chapter at the end of this year, thanks.
I will mark you up for December, then! I am building the list up in my previous post above.
Insanus

Post by Insanus »

Sounds good. Any month is fine with me.
Jumalan synnit ovat kourallinen hiekkaa ihmisen valtameressä