Jung, The Red Book

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Benemal

Re: Jung, The Red Book

Post by Benemal »

I'll participate, if we're not reading the expensive one. Jung's been on my list ridiculously long and still no read.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Benemal wrote:I'll participate, if we're not reading the expensive one. Jung's been on my list ridiculously long and still no read.
I think both have the same text, but I'm not sure if the reader's edition has the illustrations. However, the illustrations can mostly be found from the internet.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

obnoxion wrote:I think both have the same text, but I'm not sure if the reader's edition has the illustrations. However, the illustrations can mostly be found from the internet.

The reader's edition has no illustrations. In case an illustration is needed for discussion & not found from the net during the reading group, I think I can scan the picture to show it to the reading group. (Unless this is for some reason a legal issue. Since only a couple of pictures might be needed to show this way, I wouldn't think so.)
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Would you, Jiva, be interested on doing the first comments, since you have recently read the whole book? How would you all like the reading group to proceed? New chapter per week and everybody writes something on each chapter...
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Yeah, I would like to participate in a reading group and could read the first chapter and present a general background to the book. A chapter a week seems fine to me, although we'll have to spend a couple of weeks on Scrutinies. To be honest, I didn't follow the Mahatma Letters topic, but is this how that group worked: there is a 'primary reader' each week who must present a certain chapter, and everyone else contributes as they see fit?

Do we wait a week or two to begin, so that those who don't have the book can have some time to get it?
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Yes, let's wait two weeks so everyone interested can decide if they want to participate.

The model I suggested was the way we did the Mahatma Letters, and that has been the only reading group I actually participated. ...Well, I did write one message to Vigna Bhairava group, but other than that I just enjoyed reading (I actually got the whole topic saved on a fille, and I think it forms one of the most interesting and helpful commentaries on first part of this Tantric Classic).

On a second thought, once a week might be too often. Perhaps we could try to do one chapter every second week, and there would be two weeks reserved for discussions...?

Thank you, fra Jiva, for participating, even though you've just read the tome! I have a commentary on the Red Book - "Reading the Red Book - An Interprative Guide to C. G. Jung's Liber Novus" - by Sanford L. Drob, Ph.D., who is clinical psychologist and has written several books on Jungianism and Kabbalah. I intent to read it in tandem with the Red Book, and see if it will add some insights to our group readings.
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

After re-evaluating my future following months, studies etc. and my so skillful manner of allocating time for various tasks, I am afraid I have to bail out from this reading group. I will maybe read this book alone, when I have more time for it.
Astraya

Post by Astraya »

Once a week is too often for me, work and other projects.
“There can be no transforming of darkness into light and of apathy into movement without emotion”
― Carl Gustav Jung
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Astraya wrote:Once a week is too often for me, work and other projects.
According to Marie-Louise von Franz, one of C. G. Jung's favourite alchemical sayings was "all haste is of the Devil". So perhaps we should do one chapter per month? That shoud leave us some time for quiet introspection, too.
Astraya

Post by Astraya »

Once a month would actually be great!
“There can be no transforming of darkness into light and of apathy into movement without emotion”
― Carl Gustav Jung