The Mahatma Letters to A.P. Sinnett (Reading Group)

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Nefastos

Re: The Mahatma Letters to A.P. Sinnett (Reading Group)

Post by Nefastos »

Smaragd wrote:Three examples of fallen would-be chelas are given; Fern, Moorad Ali and Bishen Lal whose names we come by again in the next letter.

About Fern, we (and the letters) have already spoken somewhat, but about the next in line, Moorad Ali Beg, I want to say something. It seems that he is the fallen chela pictured in the tragic footnote in Secret Doctrine 2:10, p.245.

This particular note made me a lasting impression when I was studying Secret Doctrine in my youth:

Secret Doctrine wrote:...an Englishman whose erratic genius killed him. The son of a Protestant clergyman, he became a Mahomedan, then a rabid atheist, and after meeting with a master, a Guru, he became a mystic; then a theosophist who doubted, despaired; threw up white for black magic, went insane and joined the Roman Church. Then again turning round, anathematized her, re-became an atheist, and died cursing humanity, knowledge, and God, in whom he had ceased to believe. Furnished with all the esoteric data to write his “War in Heaven,” he made a semi-political article out of it, mixing Malthus with Satan, and Darwin with the astral light. Peace be to his — Shell. He is a warning to the chelas who fail. His forgotten tomb may now be seen in the Mussulman burial ground of the Joonagad, Kathiawar, in India.

Parts of that brief text kept echoing in my head in many a long dark year, which was a very good thing indeed.

Smaragd wrote:It feels a bit bizarre that something unclean could be harboured in the higher principles as I think it automaticly is of the lower principles.

The problem lies partly in the fact that the idea of unconscious was yet to be (soon) clearly enough formulated by psychologists. When Koot Hoomi writes that –

KH wrote:The world moves and lives under the shadow of the deadly upas-tree of Evil; yet its dripping is dangerous to, and can reach only those whose higher and middle natures are as much susceptible of infection as their lower one. Its venomous seed can germinate but in a willing, well prepared soil

– he uses these words of "lower", "higher" and "middle" natures similarly as we nowadays would speak about subconscious, superego, and conscious personality.

That something is "higher" than our waking state personality does not yet make it factually benevolent. This is also the reason about the myth of the "fall of angels" and the problem of the "ego", which you mentioned. For the superego, our "higher self", can also err, and its Luciferian light can easily be corrupted into something that hinders us rather than helps. Actually, as much of our modern problems are created by our overactive superego ("higher nature") than the too dominant id ("lower nature") or consciously chosen, waking state selfishness ("middle nature").

Smaragd wrote:I'm not sure if this talk of ”her” is about Blavatsky or Laura Carter Holloway-Langford (I guess the former)

Not of Blavatsky. The letter tries to clear to Sinnett the characteristics of this female seer who joined the Theosophical Society with unconsciously mixed agenda of doing actual work but also of making herself grand. Partly under "her" (this seriously misguided even though well-meaning theosophist) influence Sinnett himself had failed, as the last letters show, and practically his true connection with Koot Hoomi has already ended. KH tells that although there really have been great, real occult possibilities open for this woman, her erring ambition made her to fall from the path to true initiations:

KH wrote:As against the above some will say — How then about her great clairvoyance, her chelaship, her selection among the many by the Masters? Her clairvoyance is a fact, her selection and chelaship — another. However well fitted psychically and physiologically to answer such selection, unless possessed of spiritual, as well as of physical unselfishness a chela whether selected or not, must perish, as a chela in the long run. [...] Had her sincere aspirations conquered the intense personality of her lower Self I would have given the T.S. an excellent help and worker. The poor woman is naturally good and moral; but that very purity is of so narrow a kind, of so Presbyterian a character, if I may use the word, as to be unable to see itself reflected in any other but her own Self. She alone is good and pure, all others must and shall be suspected. A great boon was offered her — her wayward spirit would allow her to accept of none that was not shaped in accordance with her own model.

This is how it goes, for the many are called, but few are chosen. In the times of the Theosophical Society, even more of the problem lied in the dual problem of blind religious faith and deaf materialistic science. While these are still factual difficulties to deal with in this later try which is ours, the shallow idea of occultism has become an even greater obstacle. Our age likes, once again, to believe in magic, but it does not understand – at all – how great are the constant demands of true achievement. Everyone would like to be an adept, but almost no one is actually able to be an apprentice (chela or chela candidate), which would be the only way to achieve for real. Our time is truly the time of the infant.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Nefastos wrote:
Smaragd wrote:It feels a bit bizarre that something unclean could be harboured in the higher principles as I think it automaticly is of the lower principles.

The problem lies partly in the fact that the idea of unconscious was yet to be (soon) clearly enough formulated by psychologists. When Koot Hoomi writes that –

KH wrote:The world moves and lives under the shadow of the deadly upas-tree of Evil; yet its dripping is dangerous to, and can reach only those whose higher and middle natures are as much susceptible of infection as their lower one. Its venomous seed can germinate but in a willing, well prepared soil

– he uses these words of "lower", "higher" and "middle" natures similarly as we nowadays would speak about subconscious, superego, and conscious personality.

That something is "higher" than our waking state personality does not yet make it factually benevolent. This is also the reason about the myth of the "fall of angels" and the problem of the "ego", which you mentioned. For the superego, our "higher self", can also err, and its Luciferian light can easily be corrupted into something that hinders us rather than helps. Actually, as much of our modern problems are created by our overactive superego ("higher nature") than the too dominant id ("lower nature") or consciously chosen, waking state selfishness ("middle nature").
This is interesting for I've thought the terms of psychology have only pointed in the right direction, thinking the higher self is something much more than just "the watcher". It might be worth contemplating if my view of the term needs serious grounding, but remembering not to close my eyes from the horizon and what it is slowly revealing. Must not forget the idea(l).
I wonder if the falling of angels or the mistakes the Adepts can make, happen only because of mingling with the lower factors (that which is created), and is the higher self we tend to refer to just a mirror image of the yet higher domains, or am I fantasizing. Adepts are supposed to be in control of the lower self and the angels that fall mingle with the mortals. They are both getting their hands dirty so to speak and very unselfisly so, I should add. Maybe I'm just looking this from perspective irrelevant to humans and actual work. We have to work with the whole construct. The psychological terms are very useful to work with, and with them we can inspect this mingling process which helps us to avoid the mistakes and ascend I would hope.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Smaragd wrote:I wonder if the falling of angels or the mistakes the Adepts can make, happen only because of mingling with the lower factors (that which is created), and is the higher self we tend to refer to just a mirror image of the yet higher domains, or am I fantasizing. Adepts are supposed to be in control of the lower self and the angels that fall mingle with the mortals.

This really does open an interesting, rare conversation.

It is also the direction in which Blavatsky's great work fell short, which brought some difficulties for her own teachers (the "mahatmas"). She keeps presenting adept masters all but omnipotent, and they had to explain that the truth is not so simple. Blavatsky also speaks ardently & ceaselessly against the "lower" nature and preaches a system where total control would equal total achievement. Thus, her own emphases became the sine qua non for the whole system she helped to create, when they should have been "only" an important part of the whole, which also holds opposite parts. As you said: We have to work with the whole construct.

Adepts are "in control of the lower self", but this control does not mean suffocation. A gardener who is in "control" of his garden is not supposed not weed out biological life in order to enjoy the beautiful silence and harmony of the imperishable rock, but he enjoys seeing how the life thrives on its own, helped by him. This is how adepts work with personal and shared "lower nature", which has its important part in the life, one's occult life very much included.

Similarly, the "angels" – especially the ones incarnated deep within us as Egos – have their dharma in this "dirtying of their hands". Thus (and this is the key point) the fall of the angel is in the emphasised strictness of His moral attitude, "not getting one's hands dirty" even when they should. This is what Secret Doctrine very clearly teaches (see commentaries in volume 2, Anthropogenesis).

Now, this inner angel – Lucifer or our manasic higher self – fails in His work as long as He (/She/It) works in a way that tries to keep His protegee out of the factually involving evolution process, having all to do with the lower nature & otherness (helping others both directly and indirectly). We see these failures in people who have over-active superego creating all kinds of problems with guilt, eating disorders, parental issues, inhibitions, and so on; all the psychological burden which overstresses control and senses the Watcher in a bad way. It is as bad as are the problems which give up too much control and let the "lower nature" eat away our better possibilities, in the endless forms of overindulgence, sloth, greed, & so on.

This is a problem we face instantly when coming into contact with the older forms of esotericism: almost always they overstress the control aspect while not stressing enough of the vital need of harmony & unity, accessible only by equilibrium & balance. Balance is adept's (who is also called "Juggler") most important tool. When he encourages control at some point, he must at the same time make room for the release of energy at some other (as importantly chosen) point, and so on. He is constantly on the move, and this is why "his ways are hard to follow as those of the birds of the air", as Dhammapada puts it. Everything is in the air for him, except in the ideals which surpass temporal being.

"Angels" can be said to work in the opposite manner: they do not move themselves, but they give the energy of our action, and our motivation. They themselves have been "crucified" and cannot act in a way we can. These ancient minds within the present humanity are basically alien to us, even while they are us. They give us dreams, they empower us, they can and do work with us in secret, but they are not temporal beings in the same way as we are. And before the time when we give them such a chance, they also lack the factual connection to the even higher principles (of âtma-buddhi). One can really become an "erratic genius", as the quotation above put it, being in contact with one's angelic self, but still failing the process of becoming an enlightened human being. And that means failure both for the "genius" (the angel) and "man" (personality). Such double fall can only happen to the best of us, and is thus doubly tragical.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Our reading group is nearing its end, the end of section 3.

The next letter, No. 65, was received in "London, Summer, 1884". KH continues his goodbyes to Sinnett and also to theosophists as a large group, clarifying how and why "the centen[n]ial attempt made by us to open the eyes of the blind world — has nearly failed".

Hodgson's Psychical Research raport on Blavatsky's occultism had all but destroyed theosophy, and enemies both within and without the TS were able to undermine the given occult teachings.

KH wrote:Mr. Hodgson fell quite easily a victim to false evidence; and the scientific a priori impossibility of such phenomena helping the reality of the phenomena he was sent to investigate and report upon is utterly and totally discredited. He may plead as an excuse the personal disappointment he felt, which made him turn in a fury against the alleged authors of the "gigantic swindle"; but there is no doubt that if the Society collapses it will be due to him. We may add the praiseworthy efforts of our mutual friend of Simla (A. O. Hume) who has not, however, resigned

This touching collaboration of outer and inner animosity had brought about impossible situation. KH's letter continues with the endless string of similar occurrences; they are needless to abbreviate here, and can be read from the letter itself. The atmosphere of the Theosophical Society was no longer gloomy, but already seen as a lost attempt.

KH wrote:It is the history of the "Count St. Germain" and Cagliostro told over again.

It was mentioned on several occasions by Blavatsky & others that the similar attempt (to bring the central lodge teaching to the West) of the 18th century was made by these two initiates who, as the story goes, were also involved similarly into political scheming and had to suffer because of it. KH mentions this when talking about the claims of Subba Row as well as Blavatsky being seen as "spies", which was also the fate of G & C. This is the old problem between politics and esotericism, and one of the reasons why in the Star of Azazel such a connection is strictly prohibited.

Something is also spoken of the "Mahatmas":

KH wrote:It is an old truism that none of you have ever formed an accurate idea of either the "Masters" or the laws of Occultism they are guided by. For instance, I, because I had received a bit of Western education — must needs be fancied as the type of a "gentleman" who strictly conforms his action to the laws of etiquette and regulates his intercourse with Europeans, after the regulations of your world and Society! Nothing could be more erroneous: The absurd picture of an Indo-Tibetan ascetic playing at Sir C. Grandison need hardly be noticed.
KH wrote:We are not infallible, all-foreseeing "Mahatmas" at every hour of the day, good friend: none of you have even learned to remember so much.

This confusing of the "Secret Chiefs" on the other hand with the norms that we hold to be true because of our ephemeral cultural ideas, and on the other hand seeing them as divine beings who never make a slightest mistake, are the two opposite ends of the same error. As has been discussed earlier in the letters, an adept is "de facto" such only at the times when the outer personality is merged with its inner inhabitant, which is not something that happens 24/7, even though its effects are constantly effecting him. That someone can yet exist in this world of form necessitates some flaws; we have no omniscient beings here, even though an adept carries his intensified intuition, intelligence & mental prowess across the abyss.

The work of the masters is not about teaching about magick spells, but to try to bring help to the world that is taking steady steps towards spiritual annihilation:

KH wrote:the present crisis that is shaking the T.S. to its foundations is a question of perdition or salvation to thousands; a question of the progress of the human race or its retrogression, of its glory or dishonour, and for the majority of this race — of being or not being, of annihilation, in fact — perchance many of you would look into the very root of evil, and instead of being guided by false appearances and scientific decisions, you would set to work and save the situation by disclosing the dishonourable doings of your missionary world.

How this Path can nowadays be taken is about holistic, psycho-spiritual attitude, not about special ceremonies. The earlier mystery plays were first copied into outer uses in Freemasonic initiations, but such are no longer necessary:

KH wrote:The West having lost the secrets of the East, had, as I say, to resort to artifice. But in these days the vulgarization of science has rendered such trifling tests obsolete. The aspirant is now assailed entirely on the psychological side of his nature. His course of testing — in Europe and India — is that of Raj-Yog and its result is — as frequently explained — to develop every germ good and bad in him in his temperament.

"Raj-yog" or raja yoga, the "royal" or "princely" yoga is the form of spiritual attitude where the whole life is taken as a training ground, instead of seeing yoga (occultism) only in some special practices or philosophy. In the other words, it is an ordained, ethical, spiritual way of living. And as the masters are not interested in teaching magic to students who can not hold even their existing exoteric powers to high standards, they cannot be contacted via physical means; their focus of interest and thus of the place of contact is on the spiritual level:

KH wrote:Try to remedy the evil done. Every step made by one in our direction will force us to make one toward him. But it is not by going to Ladak that one shall find us

And so, even in this letter, KH keeps the door ajar. In his post scriptum he speaks about possibilities of the individuals to receive teaching, even though the group effort has failed:

KH wrote:The good ship is sinking, friend, because its precious cargo has been offered to the public at large; because some of its contents have been desecrated by profane handling and its gold — received as brass.
KH wrote:I tell you with a very few exceptions — we have failed in Europe.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Letter No. 66 was received in London, Oct. 10th, 1884.
Recommended listening: Riders On The Storm, The Doors
KH wrote:I feel as painfully confident that since in your world no one is allowed to moralize the other and that you are very likely to resent it, these words are probably written in vain. But I also know your sincere desire that our correspondence should not be broken; and knowing this, I point out to your notice that which is certain to have that result.
——
Beware then, of an uncharitable spirit, for it will rise up like a hungry wolf in your path, and devour the better qualities of your nature that have been springing into life. Broaden instead of narrowing your sympathies; try to identify yourself with your fellows, rather than to contract your circle of affinity.
——
Whomsoever has sown the seeds of the present tempests, the whirlwind is strong, the whole Society is reaping it and it is rather fanned than weakened from Tchigadze.
”Tchigadze (Shigatse) was the seat of the Tashi Lama of Tibet, and was one of the centers where the Masters worked. It is the second largest city in the Tibet.” - Theosophy.wiki

As the Theosophical Society was going through a crisis KH tried to give advice towards ”united struggle” rather than ”vindicative recriminations”. He also suggests the crisis is used by the masters, although it's caused by a third party. Throughout the letters it has been suggested that such tactics are often preferable for example letting the gravity of disbelief roll down it's protective curtains in the field of presenting phenomena to the public. I would think that in this case the masters riding with the storm also works as a would-be chela probationary tool to separate the wheat from the chaff. This pre-probation stage seems to emphasize individual striving revolving around essential questions. And when the time comes one needs to come back from the extremes, or find out the objectivity of the subjective — the innermost flame ultimately not as a separate one. The storms like the TS went through seemed to rise questions that deceived many from the possibility of conjoint work starting from ”chelahood”. Reminds me of the earlier talk in the letters about the Pratyeka path and how many seem to choose it, though I suspect it is minority that realizes it's weight or even that such path (or rather no path) has been chosen for now.
KH wrote:You laugh at probations — the word seems ridiculous as applied to you? You forget that he who approaches our precincts even in thought, is drawn into the vortex of probation. At any rate your temple totters, and unless you put your strong shoulders against its wall you may share the fate of Samson. Pride and "dignified contempt" will not help you in the present difficulties. There is such a thing when understood allegorically — as treasures guarded by faithful gnomes and fiends. The treasure is our occult knowledge that many of you are after — you foremost of all; and it may not be H.P.B. or Olcott or anyone else individually who have awakened the guardians thereof, but yourself, more than they and the Society collectively.
It is, indeed, us who knock on the door and in our psyche we face those guardians. Although there are outer structures like the Theosophical Society and the central lodge it is in our own structure that we make the journey. Perhaps the central lodge is still more of those inner structures as it seems to be more esoteric than the Western outposts founded to be gateways in.
KH wrote:Some, most unjustly try to make H.S.O. and H.P.B.w solely responsible for the state of things. Those two are, say, far from perfect — in some respects, quite the opposite. But they have that in them (pardon the eternal repetition but it is being as constantly overlooked) which we have but too rarely found elsewhere — Unselfishness, and an eager readiness for self-sacrifice for the good of others; what a "multitude of sins" does not this cover! It is but a truism, yet I say it, that in adversity alone can we discover the real man. It is a true manhood when one boldly accepts one's share of the collective Karma of the group one works with, and does not permit oneself to be embittered, and to see others in blacker colours than reality, or to throw all blame upon some one "black sheep," a victim, specially selected. Such a true man as that we will ever protect and despite his shortcomings, assist to develop the good he has in him. Such an one is sublimely unselfish; he sinks his personalty in his cause, and takes no heed of discomforts or personal obloquy unjustly fastened upon him.
From a satanist point of view the scapegoat narrative seems all too familiar to be repeated, but the snares of the master are cunning even to those us who see themselves as satanists. Navigating through the minefield I imagine the Western wannabe Theosophists had their concept of the truth as their guiding middle line. When accusations and what ever their targets represent begin to rip that truth in to opposing pieces, the middle line is blurred and the guide is lost. Maybe the guide should be found not only from truth, but from the cunning master presenting the problems, ethics presented as unselfishness here and the truth as a lodestar.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Smaragd wrote:From a satanist point of view the scapegoat narrative seems all too familiar to be repeated, but the snares of the master are cunning even to those us who see themselves as satanists.

Indeed it seems that the terrible scapegoat mechanism of the human brain is not much lessened on the Left Hand Path. Satanists and such only see a little bit different aspect from this sociological drama, but cannot stop (wanting) it happening.

I think not many people understand what it means that our brotherhood has taken this name of the scapegoat mystery, viz. Azazel. From us it is asked, nay, demanded, that we should see through the problem; but alas that we have been unable to manage that as a society yet. We should be able to work as the brotherhood of "outcasts", in a way, from the viewpoint of the usual orthodoxies (for we are too Left Hand Path for the standard Right Hand Path and too RHP for the standard LHP, from the exoteric viewpoint). But just because of that there should be no "crucifixions" in the SoA, namely making someone else your vicarious saviour, but everyone should "crucify" himself; that is, demand the uttermost from one's own self under the Triple Sun of the master L-C. That is the demand for our Work, hence the name.

Smaragd wrote:Maybe the guide should be found not only from truth, but from the cunning master presenting the problems, ethics presented as unselfishness here and the truth as a lodestar.

Meaning of the outer master also is important in theosophy, and it is important also in the esoteric side of the Star of Azazel. (See The Unseen Masters.) Exoterically, people need none but their own (hopefully) "enlightened" Egos to guide them, when the Triple Key is being used, as you said so beautifully.

But when it comes to the esoteric process, the very process of human evolution – the foundation of true occultism – comes to us and says: Where do you think you are going? Upwards? If so, why can't you see the feet of those gone there before you, or are you still so earth-bound you cannot even really believe in such evolution? Yes... In our times so many people like to talk about the great possibilities that open for our occult work, but in reality, their hearts are being suffocated by the doubt of the soul-killing ignorance & hubris, breathed in from the atmosphere of the archons (Zeitgeist).

At the end of the section we have a dozen or so of miscellaneous brief letters without dates. I will pick some points of interests from these letters through 67 to 72, and leave the last four to brother Smaragd.

KH in letter 67 wrote:The diabolical malice which breathes through his present letter comes straight from the Dugpas who provoke his vanity and blind his reason.

Not only the "ascended masters" inspire but, as it should be self-evident, also those who have chosen the sideway or the descending path. These "Jesuits" and "Dugpas" (using the Blavatskian terminology) act like beacons just like the teachers of the heart doctrine, and following such light will have its hard consequences. Normal people are affected en masse, but occultists and other key personalities can be manipulated directly. As stated in the former letters, one has a protection of sorts against this, but only as far as he is able to want it and help in its construction. When doing the opposite, the inspiration from these beacons of the descending orders (or the ones maintaining the status quo, thus being against an individual's spiritual mastery) grow in strength. Fighting these inspirations is a great part of the neophyte's personal "athanor", creating the positive inner stress or friction that brings about kundalinî.

KH in letter 67 wrote:Intuitive as you naturally are — chelaship is yet almost — a complete puzzle for you — as for my friend Sinnett and the others they have scarcely an inkling of it yet.

In order to actually gain occult and spiritual teaching, we must abandon our usual Western concepts of receiving education. The real occult teacher takes his students into his aura: some in the periphery, some in the middle, some very close, and occasionally there is someone who can rest on his bosom, like St. John and perhaps St. Magdalene. Thus the teacher and student are one, and one's seemingly "outer" occult Master merges with his "inner" occult Master, and both of these are his actual Parents, giving birth to his soul. This weird fact must be meditated repeatedly through the years, so it can unfold more clearly.

KH in letter 67 wrote:Why must I even now (to put your thoughts in the right channel) remind you of the three cases of insanity within seven months among "lay chelas," not to mention one's turning a thief? Mr. Sinnett may consider himself lucky that his lay chelaship is in "fragments" only

There are two types of "chela" candidates: Those who have a unyielding, flaming, constant desire to win the adeptship in this or closeby incarnations, doing their very best and completing their dharma, even should it be necessary to go through all the hells combined (and that exactly most of us will face). And secondly, those who are ignorant of what awaits them, who have no absolute will to back up their desire, and who will fail in one way or the other: ending up insane, fallen, and/or dead – without a "happy ending" waiting on the other side either.

KH in letter 68 wrote:Does it seem to you a small thing that the past year has been spent only in your "family duties"? Nay, but what better cause for reward, what better discipline, than the daily and hourly performance of duty? Believe me my "pupil" the man or woman who is placed by Karma in the midst of small plain duties and sacrifices and loving-kindnesses, will through these faithfully fulfilled rise to the larger measure of Duty, Sacrifice and Charity to all Humanity — what better path towards the enlightenment you are striving after than the daily conquest of Self, the perseverence in spite of want of visible psychic progress[...] Your spiritual progress is far greater than you know or can realize

This is the parable of talents. To get just one talent, the everyday duties, may seem irrelevant, humbling, and not enough. But by using to the utmost that which we have access to is to gain access to something greater, if we do our share with that flaming of heart & persistence that I mentioned. It may take a year, seven years, or sometimes the whole life, but it will happen. On the other hand, failing in the work with seemingly little challenge is the sure way to fail with the work with greater challenges, should they even be trusted for us.

KH in letter 69 wrote:It is impossible under your present health conditions that you should bring back to your physical brain the consciousness of higher planes of existence, yet remember, that the sense of magnetic refreshment is no true measure of spiritual benefit, and you may even attain greater spiritual progress whilst your psychic development appears to stand still.

It will take a great amount of time (not to mention the usual demand for changing one's habits, diet & meditation) to bring knowingly the memories of the events of the other planes to the waking mind. But in time it will happen through all the necessary planes between, and we will notice how important have been those seemingly humbling years in lesser working. (Or, should one feel sceptical about this, it is certain that it will become apparent after death, unless we even cannot believe in such a state – in which case there is not much occultist in us, and no need to go through these occult teachings.)

KH in letter 69 wrote:the "greater darkness" into which the perfected "Siddha" is finally merged thereby, is that Absolute Darkness, which is Absolute Light.

As mentioned in the Catechism of Lucifer (the third commandment), and elsewhere.

KH in letter 72 wrote:You were a little bit too much carried away with your enthusiasm for occultism and mixed it up very imprudently with Universal Brotherhood.

This is something that might be also said about W. Q. Judge, and some other theosophists. Usually it is another way around, though. Occultism is neutral, so it does not necessitate any "universal brotherhood" (even though it does necessitate unity when operating anything with the important instruments of âtma-buddhi-manas) – such is only its demand on the path of ascension. There are other applications of the occult doctrines naturally, like science is very much capable of working without humanism and its pesky demands of universal human rights. Similarly occultism can be used along with the "universal brotherhood", or without it; but how we use it will define how IT will use US. A glorious hell there is not.

KH in letter 72 wrote:we never guide our chelas (the most advanced even); nor do we forewarn them leaving the effects produced by causes of their own creation to teach them better experience.

As has been said, occultism is a doctrine of freedom. A teacher may and will say what he (that is, the Work) needs done, but how the student will act, what kind of initiatives he will use and how will he apply them, the masters will not question or suggest. Naturally, should the initiatives – or the lack of them – be unsatisfactory because of the blemishes in ethics or dynamics, further teaching will be withheld. But if the gurus would give the schematics ready and full, the student would gain nothing himself. No; the more advanced the disciple, the more he must take initiative and be creative, while at the same time being extremely careful to remain persistently in the true light of the heart & mind united.

In case one read only these Mahatma Letters and not other theosophical correspondence he might lose from the sight the individual aspect of the masters. I am reading "The Letters of H.P. Blavatsky to A.P. Sinnett" right now, and in those fascinatingly chaotic & yet artistically sophisticated tantrums of "the Old Lady" we see quite the different faces of our correspondent Koot Hoomi, for example. Or better said no different, but differently put, when she cries how the masters are using her as a donkey to do their dirty work, all the while praising them as the greatest and most loving souls in the world. Blavatsky's letters really breath the Mahatmas into life, and not in the meaning of Hodgson's report...

p.s. In a a need for lightening after these heavy issues, some help is availabe in the first paragraph from note no. 71 from Morya.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

The last letters of the third and last section we'll go through with this book club of ours are from both KH and M. Couple of the letters are few years older than most of the longer letters we've gone through during the past few months. The one containing an ultimatum by KH is not dated.

Letter No. 73
Mahatma Letters wrote:Koot-hoomi went to see him (as he is his Chela) before going into "Tong-pa-ngi"
”Tong-pa-ngi” means evidently the ”retreat” KH took during the letter No. 29, which sent around the same times as this letter.

Letter No. 74
Mahatma Letters wrote:but that it was the Chohan's knowledge that neither you nor anyone cared for the real object of the Society, nor had any respect for the Brotherhood but only a personal feeling for a few of the Brothers. So you cared only for K.H. personally and phenomena
This left me thinking about the important and hopeful fact that however crucial the individuals and our work are in a occult brotherhood, the bones remain after we die. Even if there would be no brothers to learn from anymore in a dystopian future centuries, there is always the foundation of our society (linking to the universal brotherhood) from which to find guidance. I'm confident that even if all the books and data would be destroyed, the same path would be visible as a red thread throbbing in the dark with increasing clarity comparative to every ascending and real step we manage take.

Letter No. 75
Mahatma Letters wrote:The right is on her side. Your accusations are extremely unjust, and coming from you — pain me the more. If after this distinct statement you still maintain the same attitude — I shall have to express my deep regret at this new failure of ours — and wish you with all my heart better success with more worthy teachers. She certainly lacks charity, but indeed, you lack — discrimination.
As already stated, the letter is not dated, but there has been multiple letters where KH has warned against verbally attacking the nerve wrecked madame Blavatsky (to which I think might be safe to assume 'she' refers to) fearing for her well being. It seems Sinnet have crossed the line once again and KH has left no choice but to present an ultimatum.

Letter No. 76
Mahatma Letters wrote:Believe me, good friend, learn what you can under the circumstances — to viz. — the philosophy of the phenomena and our doctrines on Cosmogony, inner man, etc. This Subba Row will help you to learn, though his terms — he being an initiated Brahmin and holding to the Brahmanical esoteric teaching — will be different from those of the "Arhat Buddhist" terminology. But essentially both are the same — identical in fact.
Identical is a strong word, but looking past the forms to the objective reality behind objects, if it makes any sense, there the beauty isn't anymore in the eye of the beholder.
Mahatma Letters wrote:I wish I were the Master! In five or six years I hope to become my own "guide" and things will have somewhat to change, then.
KH being able to predict his progression within a year points toward a clear discipline comparable to the universities of our time. Subject matter of the discipline would obviously differ quite a bit. This bit of the letter also might give a hint about KH's progression and it might be a interesting to find out on what ”stage” of this certain buddhist path one might have the time and ”freedom” to the ”lunatic” (letter 24b) endeavor of filling in the Westerners who are late from the class.
Mahatma Letters wrote:I cannot think of Mr. Hume without remembering each time an allegory of my own country: the genius of Pride watching over a treasure, an inexhaustible wealth of every human virtue, the divine gift of Brahma to man. The Genius has fallen asleep over its treasure now, and one by one the virtues are peeping out. . . . Will he awake before they are all freed from their life long bonds? That is the question —
This funny but tragic allegory propably fits for any kind one eyed striving. Some of the aspects we give names to usually are stronger in us than the others and it's good thing to strive in where one is at his best, but to really progress and not sever ones limbs in trying, all the aspects are needed working simultaneously.

Thats it. Thank you all who participated in this reading group in any way.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

This has been a pleasure and a privilege. Thank you brother Smaragd and everyone participating in the last fifteen months or so!

Anyone interested in the history of the Theosophical Society of the 19th century – which holds some acute similarities to the one of our own little brotherhood – is advised to turn to, for example, the following works:

Letters from the Masters of the Wisdom by C. Jinarajadasa
H.P.B. Speaks by C. Jinarajadasa
The Letters of H.P. Blavatsky to A.P. Sinnett by Trevor Barker
Dâmodar and the Pioneers of the Theosophical Movement by Sven Eek
Echoes of the Orient by W.Q. Judge
Old Diary Leaves by H.S. Olcott

And to the articles in the early theosophical journals The Theosophist & Lucifer. Many of these works should be found legally online by now.
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

I read through the whole reading circle together with big portion of the Mahatma letters and I have to say that this is probably among the most remarkable collaborations I have read on our forums. Thank you very much for such insights and inspiring writings! I was pretty much overwhelmed with the content but I just couldn't stop reading until I had read all the stuff here. It was like following a very exciting story while also getting a lot of new ideas, but it didn't do me only good to read it all so fast as the backlash of the tension was surprisingly strong. Yet I have received a lot of interest in studying this material more.

To those of you who have read these letters from some Finnish edition: does the Finnish translation have all the letters included and do you think the translation is good in comparison with the originals? Is there a certain edition that you would recommend?
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Aquila wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:20 pm I read through the whole reading circle together with big portion of the Mahatma letters and I have to say that this is probably among the most remarkable collaborations I have read on our forums.
I agree. If I could save only one topic from this forum, this would be it
Aquila wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:20 pm To those of you who have read these letters from some Finnish edition: does the Finnish translation have all the letters included and do you think the translation is good in comparison with the originals? Is there a certain edition that you would recommend?
After the reading group, I bought 1932 hardback editions: The two books are named "koeaika ja tsheelakausi" sekä "salattua maailmaa käsittelevä sarja". I really like the language of the translation and the scent of pre-WW2 book. There are editions on sale on Finnish online antiquarian boostores, and they aren't that expencive.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.