Grimorium Verum

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Nefastos

Grimorium Verum

Post by Nefastos »

I am fan of the older grimoires (the ones written before the 19th century), and have been planning to translate one or some of the most interesting ones frin English to Finnish. We don't have many other than the "Black Bible", i.e. 6th & 7th Books of Moses, available here, plus adding a commentary from the Azazelian standpoint to grimoire magic might be helpful reagarding to Satanic magic at large.

Are you familiar with any older translations of Grimorium Verum, which wouldn't have the copyrights attached like Joseph Peterson's 2007 version?

Any other ideas & thoughts about the subject are, of course, also very welcome.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
E.Velestie

Re: Grimorium Verum

Post by E.Velestie »

I've read few different versions only in digital format but even as I didn't get much from it myself it would be nice to read it in finnish also with azazelian standpoint comments.
Are you planning to translate it in a physical format?

The Kybalion is one piece which would be nice to get translated too. Actually do not know if there's any translations to finnish but haven't seen one.
☩ Ho Ophis Ho Archaios ☩
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

E.Velestie wrote:Are you planning to translate it in a physical format?

Yes, I would do it for practical use foremost. And for me, a practical grimoire is necessarily a physical book; a ceremonial object in itself. That is one reason I'd like to undress it from all academical extras, keep the commentary pragmatic & metaphysical.

E.Velestie wrote:The Kybalion is one piece which would be nice to get translated too. Actually do not know if there's any translations to finnish but haven't seen one.

I doubt that there is any. But yes, I too have thought that it would serve as a valid introduction to the subject (hermetic magic) for the Finnish readers. Most likely it doesn't have any copyrights either.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Sasha45

Post by Sasha45 »

The Grimorium Verum has been the centerpiece of my Goetic praxis for some years now and I am quite fond of the book and its spirits. Interestingly enough, I have slowly been incorporating material from Legifer/Clavis Magica into my general work, and have personally found it compliments greatly.

To my knowledge, no 'free' English translation exists, aside from the incomplete snippets included by Waite in his "Book of Black Magic and of Pacts". Shah's "The Secret Lore of Magic" also has parts of Verum, but this remains under copyright.

Google Books does have the (French language) Alibeck version online for free, however: https://books.google.com/books?id=IhBbA ... &q&f=false, which is a primary source for most modern translations. It has several innovations which set it apart from other editions, namely--the incorporation of certain spirit sigils into the instruments. Aside from some misplaced sigils at the beginning, it is also remarkably cleaner and more coherent.

Have you checked out Jake Stratton-Kent's edition, True Grimoire? ( http://scarletimprint.com/books/the-true-grimoire/ ) It does a good job of clarifying several technical as well as esoteric vectors that Verum engages. (The rest of his "Encyclopedia Goetica" goes into even greater detail, and I heartily recommend it to anyone interested in 'big picture' black magic.)
Nefastos wrote:We don't have many other than the "Black Bible", i.e. 6th & 7th Books of Moses
The 6th and 7th books have interested me as well, especially concerning their links to the Faustian grimoires. Though the it seems most popular for its Mosaic talismans, it definitely does yield a deal of explicitly Goetic material. Have you, or are you aware of anyone who has utilized it in such a manner?