Books on Contemporary Nordic Traditions

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
obnoxion

Books on Contemporary Nordic Traditions

Post by obnoxion »

The Nordic Traditions are something I've only recently begun to study. I always have about dozen or so books that I read at a time, which means that each book is a slow, comparative process. Now apart from some general introductions, I am reading the Poetic Edda (Hollander) and Beowulf (Chickering). Recently I've come across some books by contemporary practioners, namely The Journal Of Contemporary Heathen Thought and Mimimir - Journal of North European Traditions. If some one is familiar with these journals, I would be very grateful for a review. Basically with contemporary books on spiritual topics I am worried that they are either too "new age" or too radical traditionalism. I am most comfortable somewhere between C.G. Jung and Henry Corbin, if you know what I mean.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Heith

Re: Books on Contemporary Nordic Traditions

Post by Heith »

While my forte isn't contemporary per se, I would instantly recommend Simek's A Dictionary of Northern Mythology. It's solely academic but extremely useful when learning all the new terms and names that appear in the myths.

I have read quite a few books on contemporary interpretation of the runes, but these often appear quite new ageish. Runes are a very important part of the Scandinavian tradition though, so I could borrow you some books on the subject if you like? In fact, I am happy to borrow you any of my books. If you can narrow down what it is that you are looking for, perhaps I would have something? Or at least it might be easier to recommend reading.

One interesting thing is the division between "right hand" and "left hand" current on the Scandinavian tradition. The former favours the Aesir (and sometimes Vanir) gods, while the latter finds the myths of the Thurs to be more interesting. For my taste they both miss a little, as the former is often a kind of Christianity with names changed, and attracts a rather exoteric crowd. The latter on the other hand harbours quite a few fanatic fans of Anti cosmic theories- but of course both "groups" have also thinking, intelligent individuals.

I think it's sold out, but Gullveigarbók was quite interesting.

Fra Jiva's article on Unseen Fire I also starts a series of writings where he studies the Norse myths. They are quite advanced, so difficult to read if one doesn't have quite solid understanding of the mythology. I don't know how far you are yet, so not sure what to recommend!

Also, putting up the Jiva signal, perhaps he has some good suggestions?
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Heith wrote:I have read quite a few books on contemporary interpretation of the runes, but these often appear quite new ageish. Runes are a very important part of the Scandinavian tradition though, so I could borrow you some books on the subject if you like? In fact, I am happy to borrow you any of my books. If you can narrow down what it is that you are looking for, perhaps I would have something? Or at least it might be easier to recommend reading.
Yes, new ageish in often what comes to mind when reading about runes. Or it gets political. Or both.
We will most likely meet this summer. If you could take the trouble of picking up and lending me one of your books that you think I might benefit from, and bring it with you then, I will read it. Perhaps then I will now more clearly what I am looking for.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Heith

Post by Heith »

obnoxion wrote: Yes, new ageish in often what comes to mind when reading about runes. Or it gets political. Or both.
We will most likely meet this summer. If you could take the trouble of picking up and lending me one of your books that you think I might benefit from, and bring it with you then, I will read it. Perhaps then I will now more clearly what I am looking for.
Id be happy to do so. It's also a nice brain teaser, trying to figure out if anything that I have would be interesting for you.