Arthur Edward Waite's "The Book of Ceremonial Magic"

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Fomalhaut

Arthur Edward Waite's "The Book of Ceremonial Magic"

Post by Fomalhaut »

I have been giving a thought to start this topic for a while. Would anyone be interested to join to read and share thoughts on the first two sections of Chapter I: The antiquity of Magical Rituals from the first part of Arthur Edward Waite's "The Book of Ceremonial Magic"?

Section 1. The Importance of Ceremonial Magic: http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/bcm/bcm05.htm

Section 2. The Distinction between White and Black Magic: http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/bcm/bcm06.htm
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Nefastos

Re: Arthur Edward Waite's "The Book of Ceremonial Magic"

Post by Nefastos »

Fomalhaut wrote:Would anyone be interested to join to read and share thoughts on the first two sections of Chapter I: The antiquity of Magical Rituals from the first part of Arthur Edward Waite's "The Book of Ceremonial Magic"?

I am.

When reading Waite, let's keep in mind his quite paradoxical stance. He was an active Golden Dawn member & ritualist, who at the same time was overtly sceptic towards magic. (Later, he came to stress the religious & mystic aspect of the work.) It is said that he chose to this grimoire work of his many poor examples on purpose, because of his loathing of the subject. :)
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Nefastos wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:Would anyone be interested to join to read and share thoughts on the first two sections of Chapter I: The antiquity of Magical Rituals from the first part of Arthur Edward Waite's "The Book of Ceremonial Magic"?

I am.

When reading Waite, let's keep in mind his quite paradoxical stance. He was an active Golden Dawn member & ritualist, who at the same time was overtly sceptic towards magic. (Later, he came to stress the religious & mystic aspect of the work.) It is said that he chose to this grimoire work of his many poor examples on purpose, because of his loathing of the subject. :)
Thanks a lot for the warning, Frater!
— C.G. Jung
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

It seems like only me and Fra Nefastos are attending this reading idea. Anyone still interested is still welcome. Is it ok if we put our first thoughts on what we read after 21st March? Any thoughts before date are also very welcome.
— C.G. Jung
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Fomalhaut wrote:Is it ok if we put our first thoughts on what we read after 21st March?

Sounds fine.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"