Beginning Blavatsky and Hermes books

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Sebomai

Beginning Blavatsky and Hermes books

Post by Sebomai »

Greetings all!

I just recently got my first Hermes and Blavatsky texts on my Kindle. Corpus Hermeticum, The Emerald Tablet, along with Blavatsky's Isis Unveiled I & II and The Secret Doctrine. That's, mostly because of the Blavatsky books, literally THOUSANDS of pages of material that is rather foundational for our brotherhood. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should approach this mountain of reading? Any suggestion where to start, what order to proceed in, etc.?

Also, if a discussion starts to develop in-depth about either the Blavatsky books or the hermetic books, I'd suggest we start separate topics for those works on this board, because this is just a question about how to go through them, and deep discussion about either set of texts should probably be given its own topic so that unfamiliar browsers of this forum can find them without being lucky enough to stumble across this specific topic. Thanks!
Fomalhaut

Re: Beginning Blavatsky and Hermes books

Post by Fomalhaut »

Sebomai wrote:Greetings all!

I just recently got my first Hermes and Blavatsky texts on my Kindle. Corpus Hermeticum, The Emerald Tablet, along with Blavatsky's Isis Unveiled I & II and The Secret Doctrine. That's, mostly because of the Blavatsky books, literally THOUSANDS of pages of material that is rather foundational for our brotherhood. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should approach this mountain of reading? Any suggestion where to start, what order to proceed in, etc.?

Also, if a discussion starts to develop in-depth about either the Blavatsky books or the hermetic books, I'd suggest we start separate topics for those works on this board, because this is just a question about how to go through them, and deep discussion about either set of texts should probably be given its own topic so that unfamiliar browsers of this forum can find them without being lucky enough to stumble across this specific topic. Thanks!
Recently I started to read Isis Unveiled. I have no suggestions on how to approach them except reading and studying them patiently. I totally agree about doing separate topics about Blavatsky and Hermetic books.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Sebomai

Re: Beginning Blavatsky and Hermes books

Post by Sebomai »

I decided to begin with Isis Unveiled as well. I think I shall open a topic for that, since both you and I are currently reading Blavatsky. I think all her works can go under one topic, don't want to start too many needlessly. But there we can discuss approaches to the text and what we may get out of it, whether agreement or criticism. And if you feel up to tackling The Secret Doctrine afterwards, which I think I shall do, perhaps we can shift to a discussion of that work in the Blavatsky topic section. Any and all, whether reading her now or having read her in the past, are welcome to participate!