Horror Fiction

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Nefastos
Frater

Re: Horror Fiction

Postby Nefastos » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Circaeon wrote:I believe Derleth's The Lurker at the Threshold was an official pastiche, based upon some notes by Lovecraft himself. I seem to recall - from some article on Derleth vs Lovecraft - that this particular novel was published as a posthumous collaboration between the two authors. It's a nice novel and I do believe that Derleth was one of few individuals worthy to pastischize Lovecraft.

I agree. Even though some other of Lovecraft's disciples are enjoyable enough, they seem to be writing about a different world. Derleth has been accused of watering down Lovecraft's cosmic nihilism to be more approachable and conquerable, but as an occultist I think it already to be in the eye of the beholder (of the unwilling atheist prophet Lovecraft and his protagonists both) and not objective. I mean to say, Derleth's finishing touch sometimes seem to bring light to that more occult, even though less nighmarish streak of Lovecraft's.

Circaeon wrote:Matthew Lewis' innovative novel The Monk from 1796.

In this, I have been in page 208 for a year now. The reason is, I once heard from a professor of literature that this novel includes all kinds of mind-bending Satanic orgy fun, including being torn to shreds in hell & having sex on a bone-covered altar, I thought to enjoy it as a light escapist reading. But when it turned out that pages 100 to 200 were, literally, of the same ongoing statement pf marquis recounting his travels to a friend in the middle of another story, I was shot down in flames before the actual flames (of hell) did have the possibility to begin. Now I am not against such archaisms but often find them enjoyable, but clearly I had given wrong idea what the book was about. My English is not so good that reading hundred pages in a row about some marquis' love affairs (not altars included) would be considered as escapistic. Even though there was a ghost involved.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Benemal
Frater

Postby Benemal » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:24 pm

One of Lovecraft's "disciples", Clark Ashton Smith, was in my opinion a superior writer. His stories aren't usually structured classically, they're more like dreams and visions.
Benemal
Frater

Postby Benemal » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Like a mantra, I repeat Klarkashton, Klarkashton. I have mentioned him before, it seems. I'm sure I've mentioned Clive Barker's Books of Blood too.
Silvaeon
Frater

Postby Silvaeon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Benemal wrote:One of Lovecraft's "disciples", Clark Ashton Smith, was in my opinion a superior writer. His stories aren't usually structured classically, they're more like dreams and visions.
I've heard this stated by friends of mine as well. A while ago I found a collection of short stories from him titled "Hyperborea" which I've been meaning to dig into forever. Hopefully soon. There's so much to read.