What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Gangleri

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post by Gangleri »

Alas, my condition nowadays is such that I cannot focus my mind into long bouts of reading. The summer doesn't make it any more easy. Thus I have only read something here, something there - nothing very throughly. The last book I read was Aki Cederberg's 'Pyhä Eurooppa' ('Sacred Europe'). I liked most of it.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Just finished reading "Azazelin Avain" and now i am reading Apocrypha Lucifera.
Yinlong

Post by Yinlong »

1. I've been studying Ukon Pakka book and of course the related Tarot deck (which is inspired by Kalevala). Since the deck is independent from Crowley etc. other existing decks, I hope it gives me inspiration to my numerological studies
2. Jodorowsky's Psychomagic. I'm not a "healer" type of personality, but I'm thinking can I try to be to small extent as a mental and spiritual exercise. I chose this book because it would be maybe most fitting to my personality and previous interests.
3. Umberto Eco - Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language. Sometimes it's good to read a bit more academic approaches to Symbolism etc. Also Umberto Eco makes me laugh while reading and humor is needed always.
Quaerendo Invenietis - Na dìomhcuimhnich a-chaoidh - Feuer frei!
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

I started The Magicians, by Lev Grossman, in need of some light entertainment, but the bar is set so high, that it's got to be genuinely good stuff. Magicians feels like if China Mieville wrote Harry Potter. I picked up a book about Sun Ra, a man I love, but have never read a book about him. There's a new collection of older writings by Nefastos. It's nice, I haven't read them in a long time. I recently read Wiliam Gibson's The Peripheral. Reading new sci-fi is very rare. I like old better, but Gibson's book was great, so something else by him soon, maybe Pattern Recognition, which I have. Rereading Iain M. Banks's The Hydrogen Sonata. Not as impressive as first time, but still one of my favorite novelists.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

The Lord of the Rings(in Finnish). Thinking of starting reading Oahspe: The New Bible. I bought this beautiful The Eloist Edition of Oahspe a while ago, still unopened.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

For decades, I tried to hunt down a reasonably priced version of C.W. King's Gnostics and Their Remains, but failed. Now I found out that several print on demand publishers had started making versions of this, and even while the quality of such printing is quite horrible, the book's contents are golden, and I am happy to finally read this classic from cover to cover. This should be on the shelf of anyone seriously interested in magical gnosticism. Wonderful, just wonderful!

My version comes from Theophania Publishing. The scanning process has created many words to be connected (spaces dropped out), the quality of the pictures – there are many – is subpar, and the cover picture has very little to do with the actual contents. To say it with a word, quite Kessinger. But since for me the most important thing in a book are its actual contents and not aesthetics, I give my hearty recommendations.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Got a big book about the Romanov's, from the library (Simon Sebag Montefiore). Read a really good book about Jerusalem, by the same writer. From SoA library I got Graham Hancock's alternate history classic Fingerprints Of The Gods. Planning on re-reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Maybe his best book. Raymond Chandler & Isaac Asimov. In a diffrent thread I claimed not to read badly written books. That's not currently true. I'm reading The Living Dead, co-written by George A. Romero. Parts of it are so badly written, that I cringe. Parts are also very good. Suspect good stuff is by Romero. Apart from Unseen Fire III, other occult works are not on the list.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

By the way, that book about the Gnostics interests me. Was it expensive?
gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

As I just this year made the leap of faith and started to read the articles on the website of The Star of Azazel and got myself entranced by it. It is quite unavoidable that the name H. P. Blavatsky comes to mind. I have never before read anything from her so at the moment I am reading her Key to Theosophy and waiting in the bookshelf there is the finnish translation of the secret doctrine = Salainen Oppi.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:04 pmBy the way, that book about the Gnostics interests me. Was it expensive?

Thirty euros from Adlibris. So, expensive considering how it looks, but inexpensive considering how it reads.
In case one is able to find the older original publishings, those would be superior.

Remember, this was written well before the great new 20th century Gnostic findings, so it needs something like Barnstone & Meyer's Gnostic Bible to go with. (In Finland we have this very nice Dunderberg & Marjanen's "Nag Hammadin kätketty viisaus" too. Not too academical to be ponderous, but enough to be precise.)
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"