SoA Podcast

Discussion on books, journals and articles by the Star of Azazel.
obnoxion

SoA Podcast

Post by obnoxion »

Myself and fras Smaragd and Nefastos have already voiced our interest in paricipating in an English language podcast for SoA. My initial idea was that such podcast would be done 2 - 3 times per year.

I figure an hour woulld be a safe length. I also think there ought to be one or more themes, but the general mood should be sponteous. Lastly, there could be an insert of 10 - 15 minutes that could be done without having to be present in the "studio" (wherever that that will be...)
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Polyhymnia

Re: SoA Podcast

Post by Polyhymnia »

This is a very exciting project! I look forward to seeing what happens. And if there’s any way I can help, I’m, of course, happy to :D
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Polyhymnia wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:48 pm This is a very exciting project! I look forward to seeing what happens. And if there’s any way I can help, I’m, of course, happy to :D
You said on the other topic about podcasts not being the best format for you personally; do you see some way it could be made better accessible for visual learners? For example, podcasts usually are uploaded to multiple platforms, and I thought if it would be worth the effort to make the podcasts in to videos consisting only visual symbols, art etc. to closely support the conversation. Would it be worth it in your eyes?
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Smaragd wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:37 pm
Polyhymnia wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:48 pm This is a very exciting project! I look forward to seeing what happens. And if there’s any way I can help, I’m, of course, happy to :D
You said on the other topic about podcasts not being the best format for you personally; do you see some way it could be made better accessible for visual learners? For example, podcasts usually are uploaded to multiple platforms, and I thought if it would be worth the effort to make the podcasts in to videos consisting only visual symbols, art etc. to closely support the conversation. Would it be worth it in your eyes?
I impolitely had an urge to answer to this question before Soror Polyhymnia but I assume everyone has their own thoughts and needs to present about visual aspects of podcast.

Seeing some kind of picture of art, symbols which supports themes, concepts or ideas would be great at least for me.
It would help me to visualize certain things and topics especially when discussion goes into more abstract level
For new people who don't know much of a theosopical terms it would be nice to have, for example a drawing of triangle with names of manas, buddhi...etc.

Is the podcast going to be more of an educational or does it have also freely discussed sections?

This of course is enormously difficult and timely demanding task if someone does art for an one hour long audio track which might have very nuanced discussions about abstract ideas.
Last edited by Kavi on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I do find it helpful to have even just an image to look at. Honestly even just the SoA banner would function for myself, personally. I’ll listen to podcasts or lectures over YouTube where I can focus my sight if I need to. Spotify haa Manly P Hall lectures, and I sometimes drive with them on, but I found over the years that the amount I take in this method vs the amount I take in while “watching” over YouTube is drastically smaller. My partner has suggested that perhaps I haven’t found the right subject matter to keep me interested, and I suppose that could be true. I listen to local radio programs, but I think the key there is the musical component. The songs keep my attention grounded even during the chatter in between.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Polyhymnia wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:06 pm I do find it helpful to have even just an image to look at. Honestly even just the SoA banner would function for myself, personally. I’ll listen to podcasts or lectures over YouTube where I can focus my sight if I need to. Spotify haa Manly P Hall lectures, and I sometimes drive with them on, but I found over the years that the amount I take in this method vs the amount I take in while “watching” over YouTube is drastically smaller. My partner has suggested that perhaps I haven’t found the right subject matter to keep me interested, and I suppose that could be true. I listen to local radio programs, but I think the key there is the musical component. The songs keep my attention grounded even during the chatter in between.
Could it be also the manner how the discussion is handled?
The endless podcast rambling without structure seems just to hurt my brains. It's hard to follow a discussion or monologue when themes are constantly changing.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Kavi wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:10 pm
Could it be also the manner how the discussion is handled?
The endless podcast rambling without structure seems just to hurt my brains. It's hard to follow a discussion or monologue when themes are constantly changing.
It’s possible! I do crave structure in almost everything, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this plays a large role. I wouldn’t worry too much about accommodating the visual learners. I’m fairly certain we’re in the minority judging by the sheer volume of people I know who are self professed podcast addicts!
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Polyhymnia wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:18 pm I’m fairly certain we’re in the minority judging by the sheer volume of people I know who are self professed podcast addicts!
Even if it would help only one or two of the listeners to engage with the subject matter in more deep and far reaching way, I would see the visual element to be worth making. Besides, it sounds like an inspiring task to make and gather images (I assume there is alot of art from the past centuries available with creative commons license) for such a purpose.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

If we assume that the first podcasts are made in Finland, I was thinking that there could be an insert on each Episodes that could be done anywhere in the world, and added on some slot on the podcast - for example, 10 - 15 minute insert in a 55 - 60 minute episodes.

I've envisioned that the podcast would be themed and researched, but otherwise freeform and discussive.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I think that’s an awesome idea, Obnoxion! Definitely makes the podcast more inclusive since any of our brethren could contribute this way.