Lucifer Lodge's blog

Discussion on books, journals and articles by the Star of Azazel.
Heith

Re: Lucifer Lodge's blog

Post by Heith »

Jiva wrote:I was thinking about Heith’s blog article regarding gardening etc. and the tension of imposing oneself upon nature when I was reading something completely disconnected from Old Norse mythology that happened to mention that the English word “book” derives from the Germanic root "*bōk-" and is a cognate with "beech”. This made me think of rune workings, particularly because runes etched on beech trees are recorded as having been shaved and mixed into drinks in Sigrdrífumál, but also because this involved cutting off part of a tree or even destroying the whole tree itself. In other words, there is an exchange between damaging or killing a tree in order to affect something magically.

In a modern context this could of course be expanded to the industry of bookmaking, where entire forests are decimated for the sake of knowledge (even if much is re-planted). Therefore, is there also a responsibility to buy digital books whenever possible, to only purchase books if they will be immediately read, to plant trees as a compensation etc.?
Interesting thoughts and something I also find myself thinking from time to time. I love books, and I buy them. Of course, the amount of books I obtain is a drop in an ocean when it comes to the industry. Still I think it is good to be conscious of the decisions one makes and we can't expect others to make the changes we'd like to see in the world.

I plant trees. Just recently a patch of land was de-forested next to my house. As I have been gardening and have been forced to remove shoots of spruce, I've put these to grow in jars and will plant them in the de-forested area. I am also going to gather pinecones etc and leave them in the area in hopes that some might survive. Of course, my tree planting is random and not even a drop in the ocean of the forestry industry, but I find it a important and interesting task, as then I can observe which trees manage to grow and learn from these experiences.

I didn't know about this root for the word "book", but I'll check with my bookbinding teacher, perhaps he has knowledge of techniques that were used. At least wikipedia tells us that "Beech wood tablets were a common writing material in Germanic societies before the development of paper".

As a sidenote Jiva, I notice I try not to read your posts too much as of late because it distracts me from staying in topic regarding my article writing :D I keep getting unrelated ideas, or want to expand the topic of my research making this a never ending project...!
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

So, I just posted a blog that aims to fit the basics of Old Norse cosmogony into a Kabbalistic template.

Here's the link: http://www.azazel.fi/lucifer/2015/10/ol ... rpretation

Comments, suggestions and advice are welcome as always :).

By the way, if there is any problem with this let me know. I couldn't get the English language selector to work, so I had to make do with the Finnish.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Heith

Post by Heith »

Frater Jiva has again contributed on Lucifer lodge's blog with a new text, "Writing Lines on Magic".

http://www.azazel.fi/lucifer/2016/02/wr ... -on-magic/
Heith

Post by Heith »

A new blog post by me On Remembering the Dead.

Apologies for the untidy placing of the image as well as the unruly lines. I find myself lacking the patience required to understand how to solve this.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Heith wrote:A new blog post by me On Remembering the Dead.
It was the most beautiful thing I have read this year.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Heith

Post by Heith »

obnoxion wrote:
Heith wrote:A new blog post by me On Remembering the Dead.
It was the most beautiful thing I have read this year.
Thank you for the kind words, brother.
Invitus

Post by Invitus »

Touching and beautiful indeed, also something that has been on my mind a lot lately. Thank you sister.
"And so he who looks down at his feet will not know the truth, but he who discerns by the sun which way to go." -Tolstoi
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

The opening speech for the brotherhood's annual meeting, kept this month, has been added to blog.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Heith

Post by Heith »

Blog update Of the Elements.