Lectures

Events, meetings and announcements.
Smaragd
Frater

Lectures

Postby Smaragd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Stumbling to this lecture series on Kashmir Shaivism, I thought we could have a topic for sharing online and offline lectures and the ideas they spring forth. I find lectures to be nice addition to reading, but there's not really critical platforms present like we have for books. For example if the lectures seem to emphasize some aspect of a tradition or a school of thought to distorted levels we can discuss it here.
Heith
Sodalis

Re: Lectures

Postby Heith » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Smaragd wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:24 pm
I find lectures to be nice addition to reading, but there's not really critical platforms present like we have for books.
This is very true. I like listening podcasts or documentaries also while I work, as my hands and eyes are occupied then but it is nice to listen to something. Sometimes that adds to my work also.
Mars

Postby Mars » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:30 am

Two lectures about Blavatsky by Stephan A. Hoeller at the Theosophical Society in America. Hoeller is probably known to some of you from the site gnosis.org and The Gnostic Society/Ecclesia Gnostica.

H. P. Blavatsky: Teacher and Mystery Woman

Blavatsky and the Once and Future Gnosis
Smaragd
Frater

Postby Smaragd » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Mars wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:30 am
Two lectures about Blavatsky by Stephan A. Hoeller at the Theosophical Society in America. Hoeller is probably known to some of you from the site gnosis.org and The Gnostic Society/Ecclesia Gnostica.

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed especially the former lecture very much. Although it's not always good to give too much attention to the personas behind texts, it can help to see their work in a bit different light. Particularly when reading books of hundred years old, or more, our knowledge of the cultural context may alter our reading experience quite a lot and it may be easier to see some nuances when one understands more of the writers background and that of the cultures involved in certain historical point in time. I'm not sure how speculative it was that Blavatsky would have had some contact with Russian shamans while growing up, but that for me came as somewhat grounding thought.
Polyhymnia
Soror

Postby Polyhymnia » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Mars wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:30 am

These are great. Thank you! Hoeller is such a pleasant character. My version of The Secret Doctrine is actually abridged by Gomes, so I'm excited to get to his lecture. While watching H.P. Blavatsky: Teacher and Mystery Woman, Hoeller talks about a lecture that Annie Besant gave in Paris in 1911 on Giordano Bruno. I was able to find a full text of it, though I think I will be buying the book for my collection if I can track it down. Here's the text for any interested parties: https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli ... o_djvu.txt
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran