World in Crisis

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Angolmois

World in Crisis

Post by Angolmois »

Now that the Corona panic is all around, I thought to start a thread devoted specifically to different forms of crisis that our world is currently or in the future heading.

What kind of crisis / tragedies do you see looming in the world currently and / or in the near future? What is your own attitude and / or reaction to these tragedies?
Cerastes

Re: World in Crisis

Post by Cerastes »

There is always a crises somewhere.
Honestly speaking, I am a little disgusted by our affluent society. It would actually only be fair if a real crisis were to hit us. Of course it's easy for me to say because I'm a loner without children. Parents are perhaps more worried, which is understandable.

I was in quarantine for a few days because of a corona case at my workplace but now I’m back at work. Personally, I neither feel any fear nor worries about this crisis yet. I catch myself fantasizing about apocalyptic scenarios quite often and mostly it is connected to rather positive than negative feelings. I probably carry more Thanatos than Eros but I don’t think it is just me.
When I take a look around, I see that people are afraid of a coming crisis but on the other hand they seem to call for it to happen. Everyone has his/her own idea why our society is going to fail and there is a lot of passion noticeable when they talk about it. It’s almost like I’m surrounded by doomsday preachers and everyone knows what’s wrong with the world today. Economy breakdown, overrun by refugees, money system crash, pandemic, climate change, mad dictators with nuclear wheapons, poison in our food etc. pp. There is an apocalypse for everyone.

…meanwhile, I’m waiting for a zombie virus, that would be so much better than stupid COVID-19. 8-)
Last edited by Cerastes on Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Mars

Post by Mars »

My own attitude is that of compassion towards those affected by this or any other upheaval. Catastrophes might be inevitable but that's no reason to surrender to fatalism and indifference towards suffering.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Cerastes wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:57 pmHonestly speaking, I am a little disgusted by our affluent society. It would actually only be fair if a real crisis were to hit us.
I feel you.
Cerastes wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:57 pmOf course it's easy for me to say because I'm a loner without children. Parents are perhaps more worried, which is understandable.
I can't really say that I'm worried because of this current virus crisis, even if I have two daughters. The real sufferers are those with other clinical conditions or elderly people, otherwise the death toll is approximated to be somewhere between 0,01 to 0,05 %.
Cerastes wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:57 pmEconomy breakdown, overrun by refugees, money system crash, pandemic, climate change, mad dictators with nuclear wheapons, poison in our food etc. pp. There is an apocalypse for everyone.
Not that I would like to sound as a doomsday prophet (or do I secretly?!), I think many of these things are converging from a limited apocalypse into The Apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikj2lyG-wiY
Last edited by Angolmois on Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Mars wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:48 pm My own attitude is that of compassion towards those affected by this or any other upheaval. Catastrophes might be inevitable but that's no reason to surrender to fatalism and indifference towards suffering.
Wise words.
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

I don't think I have any certain attitude toward the ongoing crisis. I just try to be informed and I'm afraid it's too early to be certain about anything that the near-future will have in store for us. There's a chance that we'll be experiencing this crisis and it's aftermath for a long time to come. Potentially there might be some positive changes coming in as well but I don't think we have seen enough yet to know. Statistically I'm not among those who are more vulnerable to the disease but it doesn't make me want to downplay anyone else's suffering or think that I'm generally safe. It takes relatively few years to turn the whole situation upside down. Time does not treat us well on earth.
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Cerastes wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:57 pm There is always a crises somewhere.
Honestly speaking, I am a little disgusted by our affluent society. It would actually only be fair if a real crisis were to hit us. Of course it's easy for me to say because I'm a loner without children. Parents are perhaps more worried, which is understandable.
I have also been disgusted by our affluent society during this corona-crises (which is more of a fear crisis, basically). I've tried to reflect my reaction...

Here in Finland the official justification for the restrictions has been that we are "protecting the weak" (the sick, the elderly). Seriously, if I was old and sick I wouldn't want the rest of the society to conform like this because of my state. And in the end the corona hysteria boils down to the fact that our culture lacks a natural and reflective take on Death.

I try to look all this with loving eyes, still. And I try to be aware of the fact that everything that annoys me in the sc. outer world, reflects my own incomleteness. As all crisis, this also is a momentum of (personal and collective) growth.
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Ave wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:57 pm
Cerastes wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:57 pm There is always a crises somewhere.
I have also been disgusted by our affluent society during this corona-crises (which is more of a fear crisis, basically). I've tried to reflect my reaction...

Here in Finland the official justification for the restrictions has been that we are "protecting the weak" (the sick, the elderly). Seriously, if I was old and sick I wouldn't want the rest of the society to conform like this because of my state. And in the end the corona hysteria boils down to the fact that our culture lacks a natural and reflective take on Death.

I try to look all this with loving eyes, still. And I try to be aware of the fact that everything that annoys me in the sc. outer world, reflects my own incomleteness. As all crisis, this also is a momentum of (personal and collective) growth.
I was hysterical too and couldn't breathe well for some days and even though I think whole outside world is now contagious I can still find flexibility, relaxment and laugh it out.
There is nothing more hilarious than seeing empty shelves and confused people inside grocery store.

Crisis is always an opportunity to grow or gain from.
Mostly, in occult sense people and powers behind people might try to gain something from this which isn't necessarily a bad thing but could be that too.
In my opinion theurgy and goetia explained in Fosforos could apply in this situation too. (in sense that both could be used for higher or lower purposes)
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

If the spybirds of skynet could sniff out potentially lethal viruses, their existence might be justified. I should make some kind of joke about spybats, but I'm tired. This is just the beginning. I don't want to get political, but the third world war will also be caused by the Chinese government.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

I'm one of the lucky few, who doesn't have coulrophobia, so I'm relatively well prepared for the the inevitable worldwide clown outbreak. That was foreshadowed a few years ago, do you guys remember? That was just the beginning.