Anxiety

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Mars

Re: Anxiety

Post by Mars »

Cerastes wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:02 pmMany do not want to see a psychologist out of shame but we go straight to the doctor because of every physical affliction and make numerous health prevention. For example, it is absolutly normal to see the dentist twice a year. In my opinion it should be perfectly normal, even if you feel healthy, to go to the psychologist every 2-3 years. Why is there no such a s thing as psychological health prevention? All those, who get treament for mental illnesses, would feel less socially excluded.
“I will see a psychologist tomorrow” should cause the same reaction as “I will go to the dentist tomorrow”.
Personally I don't care about things like social stigmas or whatever. In fact, I don't even remember if the thought of going to therapy being weird or shameful has never even occurred to me. But it can be a problem for a lot of people of course. The attitudes have changed to more tolerant in recent years here in Finland, at least I believe so.
Some time ago I was talking with a friend of mine and we came to the conclusion that everyone should see a psychologist at least once. If nothing else it would throw people a bit outside their comfort zones.
Cerastes wrote:I should probably start watching Twin Peaks. Everyone here seems to like it. :)
I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Major Garland Briggs has been in my mind a lot lately. I'm aware of the multiple Twin Peaks references in this forum and therefore thought that it wouldn't be out of place to throw one here.
Polyhymnia

Re: Anxiety

Post by Polyhymnia »

obnoxion wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:22 pm
The best attitude, I think, is found from that Simon And Garfunkel song, which I might be quoting somewhat out of context:

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence
Wow, here’s a crazy synchronicity for you. As I was leaving the gym today, this song popped into my head out of nowhere. Enough for me to go, “hm, that’s weird.” It led me to contemplate the lyrics like I never have before. This happens to me all the time now since joining the forums.

Now I get to ponder this little earworm all over again in the context of this conversation :) Just wonderful.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran