Documentaries on the occult

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Heith

Documentaries on the occult

Post by Heith »

Basic introduction to John Dee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSnIHLVa2Qw
Mimesis

Re: Documentaries on the occult

Post by Mimesis »

I find myself regularly looking for such things, but very rarely find anything of genuine interest. I only ever seem to find very one sided, somewhat juvenile attempts at documenting an area in an ill and sparsely informed way.

I quite enjoyed the following however, which could loosely be considered a 'documentary on the occult'. The narration, to me at least, can get a little frustrating, but there were moments of beauty in it, and I think it has a definite objective interest. It gave rise to some interesting questions for me.

It documents a director travelling through remote Chinese mountains to visit hermitages and speak with various Zen Buddhist hermits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKfl7SQOSPA
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
Heith

Post by Heith »

One might not think that this has anything to do with the occult, but I certainly can see the alchemical and spiritual connections. This can give landscaper-occultists whole new ideas.

Recommended! And who doesn't love Monty Don!

Monty Don's Paradise Gardens

There is also part two to "Paradise Gardens" but that should be the next link on youtube.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Heith wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:58 pm This can give landscaper-occultists whole new ideas.
The tomb gardens in the second episode gave my gardening plans a whole new aspect. Many of those old gardens seem somewhat hollow to me in their diluted forms, at least when we look them through the camera lens, but the bones of the ideas are enough to spring forth fantastic inspiration.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Heith

Post by Heith »

Smaragd wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:15 am
Heith wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:58 pm This can give landscaper-occultists whole new ideas.
The tomb gardens in the second episode gave my gardening plans a whole new aspect. Many of those old gardens seem somewhat hollow to me in their diluted forms, at least when we look them through the camera lens, but the bones of the ideas are enough to spring forth fantastic inspiration.
I know exactly what you mean, I was so inspired by the tomb gardens as well. As to the diluted versions of gardens, I agree with you in a way, but I guess for me these are more like blueprints and suggestions, waiting to be boldly summoned forth again.
Alraune

Post by Alraune »

Interesting choice of URL, Heith. Thank you for this.

My personal ambition has always been to engineer the personal space of my external enviroment to serve as an aestethical manifestation of my own internal - psychic - landscape. Both for personal comfort and to create an optimal nexionic space for certain magickal operations. The Garden holds a rather deep and advanced esoterical connection - both on an emblematic as well as direct level.

I remember that Stephen Cox from The Jarls of Baelder was a dilligent - not to mentioned, skilled - gardener back in the 90's, who placed intense focus upon his vast and impressive garden. Of course, he also included a line of plants and decorations with a firmly occult or religious symbolism.
Visio ~ Vires ~ Actio
Heith

Post by Heith »

Alraune wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:09 pm Interesting choice of URL, Heith. Thank you for this.

My personal ambition has always been to engineer the personal space of my external enviroment to serve as an aestethical manifestation of my own internal - psychic - landscape. Both for personal comfort and to create an optimal nexionic space for certain magickal operations. The Garden holds a rather deep and advanced esoterical connection - both on an emblematic as well as direct level.
Exactly.

For some reason in the (contemporary) west, the gardens as a spiritual place are largely overlooked. It seems that here a place of worship need often for some reason be a building, or perhaps a wholly natural formation or place such as a forest. Gardens are maybe more naturally thought of as a spiritual practise in the Asian religious systems but I see no reason why not incorporate such a marvel into any religious view.

For myself, a certain mixture of a monastery type of work in gardening, and the garden itself being a partially wild, partially secretive, labyrinth-like place for contemplation feels really important. I quite frequently sketch ideas but sadly have no land to realise these plans at the moment. I was particularly attracted to the concepts of islamic gardens in the documentaries I linked, as they seem so alchemical in nature.

I also enjoy the idea that a garden is never really ready, like one is never really ready themselves. With more knowledge come more understanding of what is possible and what is not, and with this kind of things only sky (or one's wallet, I suppose) is the limit.