Why to breed

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
obnoxion

Re: Why to breed

Post by obnoxion »

Children truly are the most demanding, the most loving masters one could ever hope for.
Ave wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:20 am Jung stated that "to be normal is the ideal aim for the unsuccesfull." Yet this truth - among other truths - has to be hidden from the children (until they are gradually mature enough to encounter them).
Jung also said that unless children have the surroundings that are considered normal, they tend to interpret that they are unable to achive normalicy. So it is a good thing that the sense of what is normal is constantly expanding. I can imagine that the norms wete quite suffocating in the early 20th century Swizerland.

And I suppose some of the particulars Jung said and wrote are outdated psychology. It is, I think, the broad model of the archetypal depth psychology where he still is unparalleled. By that work alone I consider him a genius.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

obnoxion wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:34 am
Ave wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:20 am Jung stated that "to be normal is the ideal aim for the unsuccesfull." Yet this truth - among other truths - has to be hidden from the children (until they are gradually mature enough to encounter them).
Jung also said that unless children have the surroundings that are considered normal, they tend to interpret that they are unable to achive normalicy. So it is a good thing that the sense of what is normal is constantly expanding. I can imagine that the norms wete quite suffocating in the early 20th century Swizerland.

And I suppose some of the particulars Jung said and wrote are outdated psychology. It is, I think, the broad model of the archetypal depth psychology where he still is unparalleled. By that work alone I consider him a genius.
Yes, I agree and taken out of context any (Jung) quote can lead to odd expressions. Individuation is build upon conformity, yet with too much conformity, indiviation is never achieved.
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Ave wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:20 am I'm not aware what kind of illness you are facing, but I hope you'll find console.
Inherited paranoid schizophrenia. One of the most vicious mental illnesses for sure. But as I firmly believe in karma I take it nowadays with stoic calm, there's no one else to blame but myself. I have even started considering it a sort of dark blessing, since with medication I'm completely functional and the illness has hiven me a good excuse not to participate in modern society. But I would hate to see it strike my children and I certainly would not have bred if I would've knew what was coming.
Peregrina

Post by Peregrina »

Boreas wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:25 pm Ave kirjoitti: ↑I'm not aware what kind of illness you are facing, but I hope you'll find console.
Inherited paranoid schizophrenia. One of the most vicious mental illnesses for sure. But as I firmly believe in karma I take it nowadays with stoic calm, there's no one else to blame but myself. I have even started considering it a sort of dark blessing, since with medication I'm completely functional and the illness has hiven me a good excuse not to participate in modern society. But I would hate to see it strike my children and I certainly would not have bred if I would've knew what was coming.
I too have a mental condition (not as severe as schizofrenia though) which is one reason I'm not planning to reproduce. I haven't decided yet, if it's a "dark blessing", because I haven't been given the life sentence of permanent disability pension yet. There are advantages in being outside the dreadmill, but the price is high. Sometimes I wonder that perhaps there was a moment in my youth, before I accepted my diagnosis and started living it, when I could have intepreted my situation differently and had a more empowering outcome.
Or it might have been pure denial too.
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Boreas wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:25 pm
Ave wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:20 am I'm not aware what kind of illness you are facing, but I hope you'll find console.
Glad to hear that you're functioning with the aid of meds (and undoubtably your strong spirit). About the dark blessing: The ability to give/ acknowledge meaning and purpose is a skill of a master. One can make good use of one's darkness.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

In my case, it also runs in the family. Were I to have children, they'd have about 50% chance of being bipolar. That's got nothing to do with why I'm not having children. Also, I believe in karma, like gravity, so there's something going back thousands of years, that's trying to pull us down, make us fail and commit suicide. Just being alive still is a victory, so expectations are low.
My sister's daughter is extremely temperamental and smart, like I was. Knowing and understanding things a four year old is not supposed to. I hope she's not crazy too. There's no place for people like that in "modern society", except in artistic work.
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Hmm... Have you ever noticed that it's the most darlings of people who are the most critical towards their reproduction? Yet the averige fool never gives it a second thought... (In my opinion we are all fools here, yet some are just more averige.)

And what if the children are "asking to be born?", like dear-ol' Leonard sang? Don't you ever think about the children?!
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

Ave wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:54 pm Hmm... Have you ever noticed that it's the most darlings of people who are the most critical towards their reproduction? Yet the averige fool never gives it a second thought... (In my opinion we are all fools here, yet some are just more averige.)

And what if the children are "asking to be born?", like dear-ol' Leonard sang? Don't you ever think about the children?!
Sometimes this is true.
But I also have a friend who is talking about becoming a mother since school. She is the most caring and motherly person I know and she would suffer very much if she didn't have children.
When I was working in a psychiatric facility for a year, there were many people with all sorts of mental conditions who needed help with their children.
In some cases, having children was helpful to make it better because the person had a motivation and a goal to get better. In some cases, having children made it even worse.

I too think that souls want to be born into the material world but as someone who never really wanted to be here (whatever "here" means in this case) I'm not sure if it is a good thing for me to have children. They might share this "Alien"-feeling. I like the world ald I don't have a problem with myself either but I don't think me and the world fit together.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Cerastes wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:46 pm
Ave wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:54 pm Hmm... Have you ever noticed that it's the most darlings of people who are the most critical towards their reproduction? Yet the averige fool never gives it a second thought... (In my opinion we are all fools here, yet some are just more averige.)

Sometimes this is true.
But I also have a friend who is talking about becoming a mother since school. She is the most caring and motherly person I know and she would suffer very much if she didn't have children.
When I was working in a psychiatric facility for a year, there were many people with all sorts of mental conditions who needed help with their children.
In some cases, having children was helpful to make it better because the person had a motivation and a goal to get better. In some cases, having children made it even worse.

I too think that souls want to be born into the material world but as someone who never really wanted to be here (whatever "here" means in this case) I'm not sure if it is a good thing for me to have children. They might share this "Alien"-feeling. I like the world ald I don't have a problem with myself either but I don't think me and the world fit together.
Yep, ofcourse these things differ case-by-case. I'm not encouraging anyone particular to breed or not to breed, just spreading the seed of thought :>
Peregrina

Post by Peregrina »

Ave wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:54 pm And what if the children are "asking to be born?", like dear-ol' Leonard sang? Don't you ever think about the children?!
There was once a man whose presence made me feel like mother to his unborn children.
It was really peculiar, because I've never felt anything like that around anyone else. Syncros about marriage and children happened when I was around him, one night I even felt a presence of a little child by my bedside asking why I don't want him/her. Luckily nothing ever happened between us and I think it was for the best because my tarot cards warned me that there will be cruelty in the relationship if it was to happen. Once we were hanging out casually and suddenly he seemed to go to a different mental state while he looked at me in a weard manner and said: "three lives... ruined".
This is why I think it's sometimes a good idea not to say yes to the children who are asking to be born.