Gardening

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Nahumatarah

Re: Gardening

Post by Nahumatarah »

Smaragd wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 pm I'm keen to the idea of attracting predatory species to balance some overpresentation of say, slugs. It's like letting the kama manas destroy a harmful patterns of behaviour and thought we have formed. Ofcourse if the slugs have come with the gardening business dragging plants from the other side of the world we may be short of any natural predators. Getting turkeys or ducks to take care of the situation isn't option for everyone. Anyway the idea places the natural world in its' carnally manifested form in ethically interesting position, where the gardener is sort of this controller of the streams of life and death. This could be seen as deeply and respectfully taking the role of the human in the world "as it was meant", or it might be like the mafia boss acting as the real murderer who just didn't pull the trigger. Most of the harmfully invasive species are only invasive in the areas that are drastically affected by humans — places where large part of the animal kingdom have been banished. This means the place of our houses and our gardens need to be really thought out before we are entitled to take the role (not trying to moralise, just seeing where this thought takes me. I'm a mass murderer when it comes to certain enthusiastic plants :? ). Ofcourse when it comes to actual gardens there's rarely so much as a choice of locations.
I am a professional gardener. We grow mainly decorative flowers but also edible plants organically so we dont use synthetic pesticides (unless the situation is especially dire). When faced with pests such as Aphidae we deal with them by introducing predatory mites that eat them but leave the plants alone. I think, at least here in Finland, some of these are sold to hobbyists as well. They come to us in paper bags with nymphs, eggs & fully grown mites inside, they are applied by simply puching a hole in the bags and hanging them near the plants.

Lately i have been thinking about the karmic consequences of such practice. I try my best not to ever harm any living being but sometimes my career of choice forces me to do this and i do feel a bit like you said, a murderer who just doesnt pull the trigger.

Interesting topic for sure. I too have been thinking about incorporating esoteric practices into my work as a gardener.
"The time has come to turn your heart into a temple of fire."

- Jalāl ad-Dīn Mohammad Rūmī
Smaragd

Re: Gardening

Post by Smaragd »

katla wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:32 pm I am a professional gardener. We grow mainly decorative flowers but also edible plants organically so we dont use synthetic pesticides (unless the situation is especially dire). When faced with pests such as Aphidae we deal with them by introducing predatory mites that eat them but leave the plants alone. I think, at least here in Finland, some of these are sold to hobbyists as well. They come to us in paper bags with nymphs, eggs & fully grown mites inside, they are applied by simply puching a hole in the bags and hanging them near the plants.

Lately i have been thinking about the karmic consequences of such practice. I try my best not to ever harm any living being but sometimes my career of choice forces me to do this and i do feel a bit like you said, a murderer who just doesnt pull the trigger.

Interesting topic for sure. I too have been thinking about incorporating esoteric practices into my work as a gardener.
Some of those biological preventive species are especially nasty laying eggs in to the target species. It is surely hard to incorporate some of the most wholesome occult ideas in the business side of gardens, but some humble practice can be done there too. I've shoveled tons of composted shit imagining taking part of the infernal printing (or gardening :D ) method Blake describes in the Marriage of Heaven and Hell.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake