'Everyday' Violence

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Einheri

Re: 'Everyday' Violence

Post by Einheri »

Montesi wrote:This is a great topic, and one I was hoping there would be a thread on.

This is something I have often thought about in my personal life, as my occupation is a personal fitness trainer, and furthermore, a boxing instructor.
I competed when I was younger, and though it made sense then to spar all the time because you have to prepare properly to fight, I know often find myself having internal debates about whether sparring (I no longer fight and haven't since age 19) is something I still want to do.
I think that I understand your point (I kind of feel you...)
I'm practicing MMA, and I go to fight in tournaments once a year.
Previously, I have been practicing kick boxing and Brazilian jujitsu, so the 'essence' of violence is a close subject for me, from the perspective of combat sports.
Of course, I also have a lot to learn, but I think it is a completely different thing to face an opponent over a match, than to do violent acts in real life.
Combat sports however, represents a honest and fair competition.
Insanus

Post by Insanus »

I believe the essential difference is whether you are exercising a skill or striving to harm someone else.
If combat sports are wrong, then next we probably should demonize sadomasochistic sexual practices & soon, perhaps we'd be in a situation where asking a friend over to have a beer is wrong? :)
To honestly admit & understand the driving passion is definitely way more important than avoiding the actual committed acts. If personal morality becomes too fixed in form, we are making precisely the same mistake the church has made so far, don't you agree?
Jumalan synnit ovat kourallinen hiekkaa ihmisen valtameressä
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Insanus wrote:I believe the essential difference is whether you are (...) to harm someone else. (...) If personal morality becomes too fixed in form, we are making precisely the same mistake the church has made so far, don't you agree?

Yes.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"