Satanism and the social environment

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Absconditus

Satanism and the social environment

Post by Absconditus »

I'm interested in knowing, how open are you with your beliefs in a social environment? Do you openly express your faith through words, clothing, etc? If you do, have there been any difficulties, threats or broken relationships because of it? Or are you not open about it because of that?

In Finland people are usually quite open about others beliefs and even when they aren't, it's nothing to worry about, as there rarely could be any actual physical threats. Only employment might be an issue, but in my experience only with the older generations. The younger your social environment is, the better. This, however, might not be the case in other countries. That is one of the reasons why I'm interested.

Then there's another thing: do you think it's even worthwhile to be open about it? Do you think it's important that people know where and for what stand for? Of course, a satanist usually doesn't shy away from these kind of thing, but there might be practical and safety reasons that one should consider, and those are especially the kind I'm interested in hearing, among others.

I personally don't shy away from saying anything, if need be, e.g. while discussing about religion, occultism and philosophy on a more personal level. I don't actively bring it up though, if it isn't explicitly discussed. There's nothing particularly satanic in my appearance, and I don't feel the need to bring it up, if it doesn't bring anything of worth to the situation. In most situations of everyday life, it doesn't. As for the people who are closest to me, I think most of them know who I am and what I do with respect to religion and philosophy.
Fomalhaut

Re: Satanism and the social environment

Post by Fomalhaut »

Great topic. I discuss about occultism, religion and philosophy with people who I think have an actual interest on the topic. I have been living in Finland for a long while now and I am very happy to be in this country, especially when it comes to freedom of speech. However, in my home country it would not be a good idea to tell that you are a Satanist. You can easily get into trouble. Clothes would not be any trouble in particular parts of the country but it would be good idea to keep silent about your own philosophy as people are getting more and more radical day by day about their own religious views and unfortunately there is very erroneous understanding of Satanism in my country.

There had a few sad things happened at the end of 90s which included murder, raping and suicide that were made by people who consider themselves as "satanists". But they had nothing to do with True Satanism, they were just some young people who had psychological problems.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Dracerium

Post by Dracerium »

Well, I dont usually speak too loudly for my religion. I think that if someone really wants to know, they will ask about it. I wear darker clothes but those doesn't always tell who I am. I wear clothes where I feel good to be. On my neck I may hold pentgram and others can't tell by that what I am because it's popular to use them among our young peoples.

But as I am asked about my religion, i don't shame admit what I am.
Sitä saa mitä tilaa
Nox

Post by Nox »

In my life religious beliefs have risen out quite naturally in all relations that I have, or in which I am for some reason actively involved. Although this does not always mean that term "satanism" is involved in discussion and I feel that it does not have to be.

If we think of spirituality as an emanation of natural, consciouss oneness in all things, I think that respecting this and trying to live according to this nature is something which demands us sometimes to be silent in level of terms and forms. For me Satanism is my personal way to experience holy - my "word of power"; but I also try to actively understand that all people have their own ways to understand and experience. And I think that if spirituality is real for us, it can be actively practiced and developed also by letting names and practical beliefs be in background in many situations. And while being alone, we have freedom to practice in a way we want, without disturbing anyone with ideas they probably might not understand (especially when talking about left handed approach).

One practical example could be something like this: If we try to live truthful, honest life and try to do our best for ourself and others, then every being can profit and become profoundly happier by all our life and actions - this is a sacrifice of self that can be done without a limit. And those who can sense the spiritual path behind that way of life will be inspired even deeper. But the key is that it will do a minimal hurt or disturb to anyone, but good possibilities are vast.

Of course many times life is not even closely as simple as this example suggests and keeping youself honest and truthful in all aspects of life is already almost an impossible task for human being, but still I find it as a good overal guideline.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

For me my religious matters are a very private thing, and it never enters any casual sosial situations. I don't were religious symbols, and i only discuss about religious matters if all parties are very interested about them. Perhaps the hardest thing about being a part of a brotherhood that has a public role is the publicity.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

When i joined SOA, i told three good friends about it, because they were already familiar with the brotherhood. It didn't occur to me that it might not stay between us. Also i was put into an awkward situation when another friend asked me, if i was a member of the brotherhood and there were a bunch of people around to whom i had no intention of talking about it. So i had to explain and answer questions that i was not prepared to answer. It was strange (not threatening) to be surrounded and put to the question about deeply personal philosophical and ideological matters, but i wasn't going to lie or refuse to talk about it. Surprisingly it went well. They propably didn't think i'm crazy. I managed to answer questions and steer away from the ones i couldn't or shouldn't answer. I don't know how i would keep it a secret without lying. If someone asks, i'll just tell. I don't care if they think i'm weird because i suppose i am and they all knew it anyway.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Absconditus wrote:In Finland people are usually quite open about others beliefs and even when they aren't, it's nothing to worry about, as there rarely could be any actual physical threats.

Yes, it's not the worst situation here. But neither is it best, for Finnish culture is actually extremely conservative in a way. People are basically introverted and somewhat shy, and that creates a culture where it is not an asset to be different - such is easily taken as provocation, whichever the context. Nowadays the young people often seem to be even more conservative than the elders. It's a bit sad, but that's how the world goes in the times of uncertainty.

Absconditus wrote:Then there's another thing: do you think it's even worthwhile to be open about it? Do you think it's important that people know where and for what stand for?

Yes, I think so. If at all possible without a tremendous loss of energy (lost in unfruitful debate &c.) I try to be open about my views whenever possible. In that way, people have more information - both articulated and silent - to utilize if they want. Giving silent information is, for example, wearing a brotherhood decagram or an inverted cross with a suit in a meeting or situation where people do not know me.

It's a fine line between giving subtle information and provoking people, but I think that line can be found in any situation if we want.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

This is actually a rather difficult question. I started to write that yes, I'm open about my philosophies and religious beliefs and to some extent, this is true. But then I realized that in some ways I'm highly secretive, even territorial of my life and habits in general and very few people actually truly get to know me. Hiding in plain sight or some such. I don't like it that everyone knows my things, be it my schedules, where I live, how I work or what I believe in.

I would say that superficially, people are able to read (and, at times, judge) certain things based on the way I dress, my taste in music, arts etc- as I care very little what people think about me I have not found a need to actively hide things. I can be extremely withdrawn or distant if I don't feel someone's worth my time- I always seek meaningful relationships. My friends already know how I am, and the ones who are bothered by my personality don't stick around. As to workplace / social difficulties, I am fortunate enough to employ myself, and I work alone. So I actually don't need to think about this often. Which is why this topic is so difficult to answer to, and probably why I begun to ponder it in the first place.

I don't bring these topics up in conversations with strangers, as it seems there's no point to do so. It will not interest most them. I could tell my parents, but I haven't- my father won't be interested in the least. My mother might be, but I don't really see a reason why she ought to know.

My other kin knows, as do most of my friends. But then again, most of my friends share an interest towards the occult. So it's sort of easy, and we can instantly gain some level of conversation that is interesting to both parties. (Or so I hope! :) )