TWIN PEAKS

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
obnoxion

Re: TWIN PEAKS

Post by obnoxion »

I think you have a wonderful grasp on this visual story! Whereas I tend to involve myself endlessly with the minutae, you immediatly take hold of the whole.

I am going to have a chance the view the two last episodes simultanously in few months, and after that I will get back to matter of how Cooper managed the case of the two birds. But there is something about sinister about Cooper and birds that supports your theory:
Nefastos wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:30 pm I am even more convinced now of the first hypothesis I had about the problem in the series and its seeming protagonist Cooper, i.e. his (masculine) pride or inability to see past too much trying. He tries to "kill two birds with one stone", which is why the both go wrong: he will be unable to save Laura and the others in this world, and equally unable to face the other side (Judy the negative astral entity) in a way that would actually make peace with the powers that be.
When in season 1 they have the bird Waldo at the Sheriff's station, Cooper declines the suggestion to feed the bird by saying: "I don't like birds". So when Cooper uses that lovely turn of phrase of killing birds with a stone, he is at the heart of the New Testament symbolism of giving stone instead of the bread. And this has been for me one of the major things that speak against the theory of Cooper's success. (It's always these little things that get me).

I wonder if this relation has something to do with Max Ernst's influence on TP. Ernst has related that his interest in the occult had sparked after making a sort of intuitive connection between his pet bird dying at the same time as his sister was born. This dead bird, named Loplop, became Ernst's alter ego. But Ernst did some wonderfully sinister works on birds, one of my favourite being "Two children are thteatend by nightingale" (and David Holcomb's "Triumph of the Nightingale" is a great workd on the same theme).

I think there might be some initial reaction to such paintings incorporated into Cooper's character. Birds, after all, are a subtle presence in TP. There are especially ducks and gooses all around the interors. The whole show begins with a view to some waterbirds. And, of course, Big Ed's gas station has above it the image of the goose that lays the golden egg.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

For the serious enthusiasts, I'd like to recommend a very entartaining and thorough podcast about the TP3 called "Wrapped in Podcast": https://m.soundcloud.com/wrappedinpodcast

I've been enjoying it while exercising or cleaning the house. If you come across a better TP podcast, please let me know about it!
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Here is a link to a very interesting article, Jonathan Foltz's "David Lynch's Late Style" (LARB):

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/dav ... ate-style/
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

I love how a quantum computer used to break down the barriers of linear computing is called "Sycamore". :) (Here's a bit flashier Finnish news article on the same subject.) To be in two places at once – why of course. Do these trees have that kind of symbology beyond Twin Peaks?

This reminded me...

A few days ago I came across an autumn-brightened beautiful maple leaf (very similar to the sycamore, which we do not have in Finland, as far as I know), & it reminded me of Pekka Ervast's story of kundalinî rising. He felt extremely desperate, unable to live in the world of man, because he felt he could not help anyone and he did not have a place among the living. Ervast laid down on the couch and prayed from his heart that he could be taken away if there would be nothing Meaningful he could actually do, and at that time there rose "a light in a shape of a maple-leaf" inside his back, and he was filled with inner vigor, strength and certainty.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:21 pm I love how a quantum computer used to break down the barriers of linear computing is called "Sycamore". :) (Here's a bit flashier Finnish news article on the same subject.) To be in two places at once – why of course. Do these trees have that kind of symbology beyond Twin Peaks?

This reminded me...

A few days ago I came across an autumn-brightened beautiful maple leaf (very similar to the sycamore, which we do not have in Finland, as far as I know), & it reminded me of Pekka Ervast's story of kundalinî rising. He felt extremely desperate, unable to live in the world of man, because he felt he could not help anyone and he did not have a place among the living. Ervast laid down on the couch and prayed from his heart that he could be taken away if there would be nothing Meaningful he could actually do, and at that time there rose "a light in a shape of a maple-leaf" inside his back, and he was filled with inner vigor, strength and certainty.
I will add to the sycamore theme by sharing a poem from William Carlos Williams. At the ending, a point is made of the horn like structure of the tree. This also reminds me of Hades' (and Pluto's) divine weapon, the two-pronged bident.

YOUNG SYCAMORE
William Carlos Williams

I must tell you
this young tree
whose round and firm trunk
between the wet

pavement and the gutter
(where water
is trickling) rises
bodily

into the air with
one undulant
thrust half its height-
and then

dividing and waning
sending out
young branches on
all sides-

hung with cocoons
it thins
till nothing is left of it
but two

eccentric knotted
twigs
bending forward
hornlike at the top
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:21 pm I love how a quantum computer used to break down the barriers of linear computing is called "Sycamore". :) (Here's a bit flashier Finnish news article on the same subject.) To be in two places at once – why of course.
I stumbled on a quantum effect named Cooper pairing today watching a video about quantum physics. Cooper pair is explained as "loosely bound pair of electrons with opposite spins and moving with the same speed in opposite directions, held to be responsible for the phenomenon of superconductivity." Two Coopers! :geek:
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

That's incredible :lol: Since the term is old, it seems like a possible root (conscious or synchronistic) for the name of this "great magical agent", as Levi might put it...

Speaking of the good old Twin Peaks, after reading Castaneda's Tales of Power I've noticed to my surprise how greatly his work has apparently influenced the series. Not only specific occult ideas (or the presentation of the more universal ideas) like the doppelgänger, but also how the things are presented in a weird twilight logic. In both, things happen in a similar, so to say, astrally kinesthetic logic, that is hard to describe but which can be felt.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Lately I've been having important & intense dreams regarding the important & somewhat delayed changes in the brotherhood that are finally under their way. The last one of these was so Twin Peaks in its feel & symbols that I'll share it in this thread.

After a dream about meeting in a literal lodge in the countryside (and receiving bad criticism from a local conservationist newspaper, "according to which the locals would re-build their cabins") & another where I sat drinking tea with a sister & her artist friends, the third one about the fraternity's energies was the following:

A brotherhood meeting was going on in closed hall, wherein a loft was erected. The center point of attention was under the loft, wherein I was standing at the point between the loft and the hall itself, keeping an eye on the situation. At the similar position near by was a figure clad distinctly in red and yellow garb, with black hair & beard. He was clearly a foreigner, an Indian or Tibetan perhaps, and it was also clear that he didn't (wouldn't) speak our language. This figure started to dance in a way of leaping in both feet, and I realized I had seen him in a dream last night (sic), and that he reminded be of the dream scene in the Fire Walk With Me. Our host, a member who is a yoga teacher, said that this was his master, but that "he had died in the last five years".

Today I watched the FWwM scene again and noticed that the man of my dream is the dugpa (literally wearing a red cap in the dream) with his hand outstretched, even though in our meeting he was happy and dancing with his feet, unlike in the black lodge scene.

SoA members might recognize some symbols in this, like the colour aspects of Black-Red-White converted to the Dante's Lucifer's Black-Red-Yellow, which also make up our communion of the gelukpa (yellow) and the dugpa (red) ideals of esoteric working. The black beard of the dancer had been trimmed "by five centimeters" since the FWwM, I noticed in the dream.

Come to think of it, the other dreams of mine regarding these brotherhood structural & energetical changes have, incidentally, been about electricity, Great Mother, and doppelgängers. :? This is quite funny, since I haven't been in any contact with this Lynchian mythology since these discussions of ours right here.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:51 pm with black hair & beard
This seems important. As I've understood it, the only one of the Red Hat sects that allows a long hair and beard is the Nyingma, which is the oldest sect in Tibet. Then, of course, the legendary founders of the Kagya lineages, mahasiddhas like Milarespa, had long hairs and wives, but that doesn't fly anymore. Other than that, long hair in Tibetan tantrism is sported by lay practioners and the Naldjors. I personally have always found suspectable any institution that messes with one's hair, so this dancing master gives a good impression by having his hair intact.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Yet this master's beard was cropped, and even though I said in the dream that it had "lost five centimeters of length", it actually seemed to have only five centimeters of length left. He felt so utterly alien to Western society that only this somewhat cleaned beard had any similarity with the local culture. The short beard also made him look a bit Mediterranean.