The Spiritual in Modern Art and Archtecture

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
obnoxion

The Spiritual in Modern Art and Archtecture

Post by obnoxion »

I think I have quite often mentioned how much Traditionalism has influenced me. I have understood that Traditionalism begun as a spiritual school of art criticism, exemplified by Ananda Coomaraswamy. At least this is in essence the Traditionalism that has much influenced me. But I have never ascribed to the Traditionalist "revolt against the modern world", nor to the dogmatic refutations of post-rennaisance art, and - not to mention! - some political ambitions, that the luminaries like Rene Guenon have wisely criticized.

Though generally speaking, I enjoy most of all the oldest art, which is always in some ways religious art, I am also very enthusiastic about modern art and architecture. Especially modern religious architecture does form for me one of the most crucial contemplations of the spiritual and the sacred.

I have recently bought two exquisite tomes on modern architecture: "Sacred Spaces: Contemporary Religious Architecture", edited by James Pallister, and "Constructing the Ineffable: Contemporary Sacred Architecture", edited by Karla Cavarra Britton. The first one has larger illustrations (including two examples from my homeland Finland -Kärsämäki Shingle Church from Northern Finland, and Kuokkala Church from Jyväskylä), the latter one has smaller pictures but brilliant essays.

Tha last book recommendation would be Charleston Spretnak's "The Spiritual Dynamic in Modern Art - Art History Reconsidered, 1800 to the Present". This book is amazing sweep from William Blake to present day. It is a great place to start an exploration into modern art, and perhaps get a novel angle to spirituality.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.