Musicans / audial artists

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
User avatar
Polyhymnia
Soror
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Polyhymnia » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:05 am

I'm in a band where music is the vessel which carries a portion of my magic and ritual work. Before recording I perform rituals, and even months leading up to recording I will prepare myself spiritually. The music I create flows through me from a place higher than myself, but also from somewhere very deep inside myself. Performing it is the place I feel closest to the heart of my magical practice. Post-production my bandmate and I like to experiment with various elements as a study in the human psyche and the way it reacts to music. Sometimes we will deliberately set the tempo just slightly off, or add specific sensory triggers. Watching people react is always the most amazing experience if they are open to it. Most people aren't aware of the magic that goes into what we produce, and I find "unsettling" is the most common adjective used after listening to our music. There's usually a visual element (photo or video) to accompany a track, and I find that the meshing of visual with audio heightens the ritualistic nature of the piece.
I'm quite nervous to share, but here's a little sampling and I hope you enjoy :)

This is our version of the traditional song O Death (also known as Conversations with Death):

https://poewinters.bandcamp.com/album/o-death

There's a shorter version and a longer, more minimalistic version.

And this is a link to our video for our song Ninth Circle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw8tBT_n0Eo

I'm piano/synth/vocals in this project, though I also play a little guitar, ukulele, and bass.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
User avatar
Cerastes
Soror
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 10:31 pm

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Cerastes » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Polyhymnia wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:05 am
I'm in a band where music is the vessel which carries a portion of my magic and ritual work. Before recording I perform rituals, and even months leading up to recording I will prepare myself spiritually. The music I create flows through me from a place higher than myself, but also from somewhere very deep inside myself. Performing it is the place I feel closest to the heart of my magical practice. Post-production my bandmate and I like to experiment with various elements as a study in the human psyche and the way it reacts to music. Sometimes we will deliberately set the tempo just slightly off, or add specific sensory triggers. Watching people react is always the most amazing experience if they are open to it. Most people aren't aware of the magic that goes into what we produce, and I find "unsettling" is the most common adjective used after listening to our music. There's usually a visual element (photo or video) to accompany a track, and I find that the meshing of visual with audio heightens the ritualistic nature of the piece.
I'm quite nervous to share, but here's a little sampling and I hope you enjoy :)

This is our version of the traditional song O Death (also known as Conversations with Death):

https://poewinters.bandcamp.com/album/o-death

There's a shorter version and a longer, more minimalistic version.

And this is a link to our video for our song Ninth Circle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw8tBT_n0Eo

I'm piano/synth/vocals in this project, though I also play a little guitar, ukulele, and bass.
There is no reason to be nervous, this is very beautiful spiritual music.
Thank you very much for sharing.
My first thought was that this would be perfect music for the meditation practice in the forest I usually do at dawn. The sound reminds me at the forest for some reason.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
User avatar
Polyhymnia
Soror
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Polyhymnia » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:37 pm

Cerastes wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:57 pm
There is no reason to be nervous, this is very beautiful spiritual music.
Thank you very much for sharing.
My first thought was that this would be perfect music for the meditation practice in the forest I usually do at dawn. The sound reminds me at the forest for some reason.
The forest is something I visualize heavily in much of my practice! Thanks so much for listening and for the kind words. Your meditation practice sounds wonderful.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
User avatar
Heith
Sodalis
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Heith » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:33 pm

I second the above, certainly no need to feel nervous although I guess such is only normal when presenting something that is important to oneself.

I really liked the music you linked. Thank you very much for sharing. Your voice is really quite beautiful.

Also, welcome on our forums, nice to have new people aboard!
User avatar
Polyhymnia
Soror
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Polyhymnia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 am

Heith wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:33 pm
I second the above, certainly no need to feel nervous although I guess such is only normal when presenting something that is important to oneself.

I really liked the music you linked. Thank you very much for sharing. Your voice is really quite beautiful.

Also, welcome on our forums, nice to have new people aboard!
Thank you so much! And thank you for the warm welcome :) Everyone on this forum has been so welcoming and kind and I’m enjoying the discussions very much!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
User avatar
Silvaeon
Frater
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:22 am

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Silvaeon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:52 am

Polyhymnia wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:45 am
Silvaeon wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Here's a link to my black metal project, Spectral Procession - https://spectralxprocession.bandcamp.com/releases
It's largely inspired by my time hiking in the mountains, and so it's very nature themed as well as fantasy, containing some references to my favorite books: Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. Guitars, voice and words are mine. The lyrics are as clumsy as my playing since I've never written poetry until later in life as well. I guess I'm most proud of tracks 2, 3 and 5. If by some miracle anyone is interested, I still have some tapes for sale. I'm hoping to record some new stuff this year, it's much better.
Just picked up the cassette on Bandcamp! Stoked to listen to the whole thing on cassette! Sounds rad. I'm from Canada as well so the inspiration from the mountains resonates with me very strongly. Thanks for the music!
Well, I've already told you all this through e-mail, but I'll say it again: Thanks for your purchase! It was surprising, but nice. And thank you for sharing your music, I've really enjoyed it. Really nice to have another Canadian on the forums!

Since some people do seem to stumble across it here, I guess I should update and say that Spectral Procession is dead. My current and future works occur under the name of Burial Shrine. It's noisy and unwieldy, but I'm proud of it - especially the title track that Johannes was gracious enough to write the beautiful lyrics for. The music to that song is very personal to me.

https://burialshrine.bandcamp.com/
User avatar
Polyhymnia
Soror
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Polyhymnia » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Silvaeon wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:52 am

Since some people do seem to stumble across it here, I guess I should update and say that Spectral Procession is dead. My current and future works occur under the name of Burial Shrine. It's noisy and unwieldy, but I'm proud of it - especially the title track that Johannes was gracious enough to write the beautiful lyrics for. The music to that song is very personal to me.

https://burialshrine.bandcamp.com/
The guitar in To Plough the Depths gave me goosebumps all over. So far this is an excellent album! I'm savouring it with my morning coffee, which, incidentally, I also enjoy just like my metal- black :lol:
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Tulihenki
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Tulihenki » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 pm

Polyhymnia wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:05 am
I'm piano/synth/vocals in this project, though I also play a little guitar, ukulele, and bass.
You're voice is so good! Very deeply focused.

I'm building my home studio. Just recorded one song with current setup.

https://soundcloud.com/user-907180557/tracks
User avatar
Polyhymnia
Soror
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Polyhymnia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Tulihenki wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 pm
You're voice is so good! Very deeply focused.

I'm building my home studio. Just recorded one song with current setup.

https://soundcloud.com/user-907180557/tracks
Wow, thank you very much for the kind words! Fra Silvaeon and I are (very slowly, as per usual with us Canadians) preparing to create some magic together and I can't wait to share with you all when everything is completed. Right now it's covered in shrouds and we are waiting for our next steps to be revealed to us.

Thank you for sharing your music! I really enjoyed it and really look forward to hearing more. I listened to all three you have posted and your setup is sounding very nice!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Tulihenki
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Postby Tulihenki » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Polyhymnia wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:35 pm
Tulihenki wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 pm
You're voice is so good! Very deeply focused.

I'm building my home studio. Just recorded one song with current setup.

https://soundcloud.com/user-907180557/tracks
Wow, thank you very much for the kind words! Fra Silvaeon and I are (very slowly, as per usual with us Canadians) preparing to create some magic together and I can't wait to share with you all when everything is completed. Right now it's covered in shrouds and we are waiting for our next steps to be revealed to us.

Thank you for sharing your music! I really enjoyed it and really look forward to hearing more. I listened to all three you have posted and your setup is sounding very nice!
Thanks for your patience to listen those. :)

My friends were in a horrible hangover and I decided to delight them with that Anguish song. Wasn't curing the force of hangover. :lol:

But anyway those songs were my first time to try some effects. Funny moments when hassling with 'em. I love what modern technology has done to us who wanna use softwares and compose different styles from metal to ambient nicely at home. :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest