What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Benemal

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Benemal »

obnoxion wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:00 pm But in South America hc-punk sounds very Europian.
They were particularly influenced by Finnish HC. Most punk bores me, but Puhelinkoppi is one exception and the California band Dystopia.
Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:11 am I had always dismissed Om as just a stoner band. I'm glad you guys brought them up because I see how wrong I was. I mean, I still get some stoner vibes for sure, but I'm glad to see there's so much more
Like I said a while back, they're an RHP band, which is a rare thing. There's a yahooplex of BM bands in the world, and almost all of them are supposedly LHP. Not truly, like they're not truly vampirevikings either, but at least stylistically. Funny how rare the other thing is. Anyone have a theory why?
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:11 am And something I like to do to relax is to watch old concert footage. I really like this footage of Pure Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paj1QSKIWHs
I read an interview from Pure Hell vocalist and got reminded of how the rock and punk thing was still almost as if a one big thing during the 70s (like death and black metal was too between the 80s and 90s). I think raspy scream vocals was one thing that shattered it all in to small fragments. Perhaps it's related to the change of groove out of the hip area to the neck area that has been mentioned couple times on the forums. It's quite a drastic change and mixed things up quite a bit creating all sorts of extremes and amalgams.
Benemal wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm
Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:11 am I had always dismissed Om as just a stoner band. I'm glad you guys brought them up because I see how wrong I was. I mean, I still get some stoner vibes for sure, but I'm glad to see there's so much more
Like I said a while back, they're an RHP band, which is a rare thing. There's a yahooplex of BM bands in the world, and almost all of them are supposedly LHP. Not truly, like they're not truly vampirevikings either, but at least stylistically. Funny how rare the other thing is. Anyone have a theory why?
Rock and thus bands with rock roots are LHP kind of thing as a whole, I think. It comes back to the crossroads thing with the devil. The rarity of "RHP bands" is as rare as it is to come to the conclusion that opposites must be brought together or even more so. I think to approach such a thing in a rock band is not often seen the most fruitful of choices, although when done well and at the right time, it has the ability to flip minds. I remember seeing the Advaitic Songs LP in a recordstore soon after it came out, and was a bit taken by the cover image.

I'm now listening to the new and old Teleplasmite (or Teleplasmiste?). They do occasionally good job experimenting with their synthsizers.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Benemal wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm obnoxion kirjoitti: ↑But in South America hc-punk sounds very Europian.
They were particularly influenced by Finnish HC. Most punk bores me, but Puhelinkoppi is one exception and the California band Dystopia.
Formerly from Puhelinkoppi, Aki Yli-Salomäki is nowdays better known as a respected composer of modern classical music...

In Punk music, I especially enjoy the repetative bass lines, played with thight strings. Like on The Exploited's "Alternative".

Recently I've been listening to great soundtracks from the films: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Lost Boys and The Crow/i].
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

obnoxion wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:16 pm Formerly from Puhelinkoppi, Aki Yli-Salomäki is nowdays better known as a respected composer of modern classical music...
Yeah it's pretty funny, and he's a conductor too. I imagine him waving that little stick around, with a famous tenor singing: "I'm so fucking proud of my cock!", or "Horse-race man, you think you're psychic, but you've never won a penny!" It takes intelligence, to make something stupid, that's an enduring work of art. Even the bands name ("Phone booth") was stupid in a stupid way, and not cool or ironic at all. Same as naming your band Sack Of Potatoes, or Cruise-Ship.
obnoxion wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:16 pm In Punk music, I especially enjoy the repetative bass lines, played with thight strings.
Johnny Rotten's Public Image LTD. Overlooked I guess because of the massively famous band he was in previously, but far superior to it. Still sounds fresh, whereas Sex Pistols is middle aged daddy music.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Concerning punk, I can only stand with Lord Satanachia of Azazel. I can understand the impulse but really can't stand the music and most of the themes. But I do have to make a confession that my musical career began with a punk band called "Paskan Puhaltajat" (Blowers of Shit). We played Misfits, Rattus and Sex Pistols covers and had a few of our own songs, the lyrics of which were taken from the candy papers thrown into the floor of our training place. I was twelve at the time and understood absolutely nothing about anything, so it was just juvenile fun. We soon made a transition to pagan black metal.

I've been listening mostly Enigma the last few days.
Beshiira

Post by Beshiira »

Related to punk, HC and the likes; I've been listening quite a lot to old-school grindcore lately (Napalm Death, Agathocles, Repulsion...).

I've never really listened to punk (well, a few exceptions for me too), but I do enjoy punk elements in other styles. Also what I find intriguing are the "transition stage" bands between HC and grindcore, such as Extreme Noise Terror and Siege.

ENT - We the Helpless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRoBDdxvd0
"Ja kun minun kirkkauteni kulkee ohitse, asetan minä sinut kallion rotkoon ja peitän sinut kädelläni, kunnes olen kulkenut ohi.
Kun minä sitten siirrän pois käteni, näet sinä minun selkäpuoleni; mutta minun kasvojani ei voi kenkään katsoa."
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

The Great Grand Discussion of Punk... :)

I have very selective taste when it comes to punk. I think I could say I like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys and The Adolescents... but I never got into East-coast scene. Bad Brains is mixed bag for me and I can stand it sometimes but not often.

Grindcore is even more hit or miss I like some Napalm Death songs but not any albums. For instance Apex Predator is quite nice album and intro song is very nice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpXqQvtgmVA
but at the end of a day I like more old school death metal or black metal which definitely has punk elements in it.
Also Easy Meat (the link above) is more akin to something industrial or no-wave would.
I use Napalm Death's Justin Broadrick as an awkward transition to Godflesh and Swans. Sometimes the heaviness an weight really is in the slowness and grittiness.

This doesn't really belong to Punk/Grindcore topic but I found interesting music from "Naujawanan Baidar" a one man band from US-Afghan person who plays every afghan instrument on 4-track and makes somekind of lo-fi psychedelic music. Nevertheless the last track "Panj Ruz Pesh" is in my opinion the best because of all of the noise.
There is zurna, a reed instrument barely audible and it adds very nice atmosphere to it and I think in my mind of all of the wars this region has gone through, all repression and misery and suffering and what a wonderful mess of noise this song became.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lah4rzQBuZE
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Regarding punk, I wasn't thinking about grind at all, maybe because it's pretty far from rock music. I'll post my fave, Discordance Axis's Jouhou: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfJaOu5c4R4
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I adore Danzig's blues rock. It has roots at the Devil's crossroads.
Today I've especially enjoyed songs like:

- Cat People
- Bound by Blood
- Sacrifice
- Power of Darkness
- Without Light I Am
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

obnoxion wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:11 pm I adore Danzig's blues rock. It has roots at the Devil's crossroads.
After Smaragd's response to my question, I thought about starting a topic on the marriage of rock music, and the Devil. This would go back Robert Johnson I suppose. But I think that's all familiar stuff. Nearer this end, there's obviously Danzig (and his bands before). He's a true serious Devil Worshipper (he also takes himself a tad seriously). Great music. I want to see his recent film, that's supposedly hilariously bad.

Closely related, a young boy meets the Devil in Georgia in one of my favorite music videos of all time. The band is Primus, the year, 1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9uk9IcoQ0w