What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Angolmois

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Angolmois »

Seems like there's a Summoning fanboy club here. I join wholeheartedly with one of my favorite albums, since it has been in my playing list lately very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHX3DtN4QE

I've been lately taking inspiration for future musical projects both from Summoning and Burzum's ambient albums.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Mars wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:55 pm I started listening to Summoning in 1997, even before I read The Lord of the Rings for the first time. Here is one of my favourites.

I started listening when Minas Morgul came out (don't remember what the year was). With all the metal listening friends of mine (back then) I was only one who liked that kind of music (ambient included). Your favourite track has always been one of my favourites. Today I can't say, but that track was number one for years.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:21 pm Seems like there's a Summoning fanboy club here. I join wholeheartedly with one of my favorite albums, since it has been in my playing list lately very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHX3DtN4QE

I've been lately taking inspiration for future musical projects both from Summoning and Burzum's ambient albums.
Before opening the link I was pretty sure there's Stronghold behind that. It seems to be favourite for many, but for me it is closer to other end of spectrum. Like some snow-white marble eyes is one of my favourite tracks though.

If feebly trying to put those great records on some kind of better to slightly not so great order, this might be mine:

Lugburz and EP's not included

1) Minas Morgul
2) Dol Guldur
3) Let Mortal Herous Sing Our Fame
4) Oathbound (or Stronghold)
5) Stronghold (or Oathbound)
6) With Doom We Come
7) Old Mornings Dawn

I think it is shame and mistake soundwise that Protector started doing Summoning with solely computer programming and not with "old school" synths. When Old Mornings Dawn came out, it sounded someway awful and soulless, too clean. I didn't know why, but after that I read some interview of Protector and he said that Outhbound is last record they do with "old style". Also I think that there's too much stuff in the new records ( i mean sounds layered upon other and hundreds and hundreds on drums and ding dongs). Again...the old are better.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Oh, sweet Summoning. I remember the first time I ever heard them, right around the first time I ever heard Limbonic Art, and I was so amazed at how synth could sound in metal.

All this thinking about sweet sweet synth has me thinking of the first dungeon synth album I was ever exposed to as a wee lass:

Mortiis- Crypt of the Wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpj3NX5_A90

Hahah. I annoyed a lot of people with this album, however, the place in my heart for it will always be soft and squishy.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Polyhymnia wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pm Oh, sweet Summoning. I remember the first time I ever heard them, right around the first time I ever heard Limbonic Art, and I was so amazed at how synth could sound in metal.

All this thinking about sweet sweet synth has me thinking of the first dungeon synth album I was ever exposed to as a wee lass:

Mortiis- Crypt of the Wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpj3NX5_A90

Hahah. I annoyed a lot of people with this album, however, the place in my heart for it will always be soft and squishy.
Summoning, Mortiis and Limbonic Art! If I remember correctly I bought Crypt of the Wizard and Ånden som gjorde opprør at same time. For me THE Mortiis record is Ånden som gjorde opprør. The Stargate was the first big disappontment, oddly I liked The Smell of Rain a much more. After that it's boring and not good.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Kenazis wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:22 pmBefore opening the link I was pretty sure there's Stronghold behind that. It seems to be favourite for many, but for me it is closer to other end of spectrum. Like some snow-white marble eyes is one of my favourite tracks though.
Yes, it seems to be a favorite for many. I really can't put any of the albums in order, I like them all very much.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Polyhymnia wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pmLimbonic Art [&] Mortiis- Crypt of the Wizard

Exquisite choices! In these days I have gone even deeper into the black days of my youth though, listening to the late nineties Dimmu Borgir as a soundtrack for some energy-releasing self-mutilation.

I wonder if my generation has some disadvantages to the beatniks... At least I am too old for rap, thank you Jesus for that.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Mars

Post by Mars »

My preferred Summoning period is from Minas Morgul to Stronghold. I'm also on board on the Limbonic Art (the first album), Mortiis (before Stargate) and Dimmu Borgir (up to Enthrone) trains.

Finnish Vordven, which is maybe not so well known, is a nice mixture of Stormblåst-era Dimmu Borgir and Dol Guldur-era Summoning and really scratches that certain type of itch.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

It is too late for me son, Taylor Momsen is my master now.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I have another friend who is obsessed with this band for this very same reason.

My own libido has led me to revisit Type O Negative this past week. I think I'm going to make myself one of those Japanese sex pillows in the shape of Peter Steele. Edited to emphasize 1994 playgirl era Peter Steele.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran