What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Smaragd

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Smaragd »

Kavi wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:37 am I really like the singing technique used in some Slavic folk songs I have heard. Thank you for sharing this!
Here's a good interview of the Bulgarian way. I've tried to find more Slavic folk, but haven't found too much interesting stuff. The less cheery ones interest me also but somehow the ones I've found don't attract me at all, eventhough Burzum allegedly was influenced by some of that melancholian Slavic tradition. :D If you got something to push me towards, I'm eager to hear.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Smaragd wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:59 pm Here's a good interview of the Bulgarian way. I've tried to find more Slavic folk, but haven't found too much interesting stuff. The less cheery ones interest me also but somehow the ones I've found don't attract me at all, eventhough Burzum allegedly was influenced by some of that melancholian Slavic tradition. :D If you got something to push me towards, I'm eager to hear.
I have to confess that I know very little to this kind of Slavic folk music. For example first encounter with Bulgarian singing was through quite cheesy recording of Kate Bush's - The Sensual World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVU6eFBvQ0g

I have also found Russian singer Pelageya, who has some good songs and I really like her versatile singing, but some arrangements are a bit tasteless in my opinion.
But I like this as it reminds musically Pearl Jam, but "heroin/opiate-induced singing", if you know what I'm talking about, is changed to this very clear and crystal singing. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZgBMDutU4

So in other words, to me it seems good folk music is scattered around yet to be found :D
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Kavi wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:54 pm quite cheesy recording of Kate Bush's - The Sensual World
Cheesy, it''s an exquisite display of power! :D
I have also found Russian singer Pelageya, who has some good songs and I really like her versatile singing, but some arrangements are a bit tasteless in my opinion.
But I like this as it reminds musically Pearl Jam, but "heroin/opiate-induced singing", if you know what I'm talking about, is changed to this very clear and crystal singing. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZgBMDutU4

So in other words, to me it seems good folk music is scattered around yet to be found :D
Yep, as much scattered as are the small villages of human population. Those tasteless arrangements creep so easily in there these days of metropolises and entertainment industry monopolies, that it is natural protective reaction to take a step back to the purity of the tradition. But then there's those shining stars like Coil who have been able to bring the new world synthesizers and even some "disco" to beautifully accompany the archaic elements that folk music, at its best, taps into.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W4b5tendB_I
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I'm excited to check out the music in this thread! As of late I've really been feeling Throbbing Gristle, Psychic Tv, Coil, Current 93, and generally what I can feel as opposed to exclusively what I can hear. Current 93 released several versions of the hymn Idumea, and I love them all, though I do favour Bonnie Prince Billie version over the others. Xiu xiu is also very high on my list as of late, and I'm partial to their Twin Peaks album and their album, Unclouded Sky, also full of hymns.

I see alot of black metal listeners in the forum, too! I'm on a huge Deathspell Omega kick right now. Any other fans? The album Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice is a masterpiece, in my humble opinion. I like to put it on when I'm doing yoga. It's so emotional, and I can feel a kind of holiness emanating off of it. Hard to explain unless experienced.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Today the weather was clear letting the sun shine from a clear blue sky, which is welcoming change to the darkness of the winter. TG's 'What a Day' came earworming from your message and swirling with a funny contrast.

I've been listening to Arvo Pärt alot. Classical, minimal and choral music is what I love right now.
Nice mix of songs here starting with a melodramatic piece including a saxophone reminiscent of the 90s Bold and the Beautiful soap opera, but then comes Pärt saving the situation with his nocturnal synth magic: https://m.mixcloud.com/simonwest369/and ... an-tormis/
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Smaragd wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:39 pm Today the weather was clear letting the sun shine from a clear blue sky, which is welcoming change to the darkness of the winter. TG's 'What a Day' came earworming from your message and swirling with a funny contrast.
What a delightful little earworm for a lovely sounding day! There's not alot in the TG archives that I would classify as "easy listening", but that tune has to be up there in the small handful that would qualify as such.

I think it's time I revisit Arvo Part. Thanks for the link! I've got some work around home to do today and needed a soundtrack and this seems to be just what the day ordered :) That and maybe some Gorecki.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

Le sacre du printemps- Stravinsky

A wonderful anarchistic piece of music, that sounds quite heavy. It's does not seek too much harmony and therefore it is exhausting to listen because the mood constantly changes. The search for a clear structure is in vain but this is exacly what I like about it. (I feel a little sorry for the trumpet players though. They must have really good lungs to play so much crescendo)

...not a good housework music but a perfect music to procrastinate housework.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

It’s funny you mention Stravinsky as I was listening to that exact piece a few weeks ago. You’re right about it being the perfect music to procrastinate housework to :mrgreen:
I could procrastinate housework listening to anything though.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Black Widow and Danzig. Quite suitable for Saturday listening, I think.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Beth Gibbons (Portishead) with the Polish National Radio Symphony singing Henryk Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs is consuming my musical life right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VaDepHJ6_A

So beautiful.