What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Kenazis

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Kenazis »

Benemal wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:32 pm The Finnishness is at eleven. Sounds like Kauko Röyhkä, J. Karjalainen and Eppu Normaali mixed together.
Interesting. I see absolutely no connections to bands you mention, except all sing in finnish. Must admit that I have almost zero knowledge of Kauko Röyhkä's music. Never bothered to listen that one. J. Karjalainen makes me want to vomit and Eppu Normaali is pretty much neutral. I almost never like finnish music. Old CMX and YUP was big part of my childhood and youth, as was Beherit and Impaled Nazarene. Beherit remains only finnish band that I listen now and then and it works as it should, even 25 years later. There's something in finnish music that just ain't working for me. Finnish pop awful, finnish hip hop/rap utterly disgusting, finnish rock awful, finnish metal mainly awful...swedish metal and pop, many great artist. Because of this, I was very surprised that I liked the track I posted.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

I really liked the song but mainly because trombone really added something into the music, but listening to the album I found the group's music dull and monotone. It'd be nice if all songs had arrangements for trombone too.

I don't know why Finnish music is what it is but I can relate. Maybe also somekind of self-hate.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Kenazis wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:11 pmI have almost zero knowledge of Kauko Röyhkä's music. Never bothered to listen that one. J. Karjalainen makes me want to vomit and Eppu Normaali is pretty much neutral. I almost never like finnish music. Old CMX and YUP was big part of my childhood and youth...

Funny, all these go exactly like this for me also. I don't hate Finnish metal though. Speaking of the old Finnish classics, what do you think about Juice Leskinen?

Usually I don't even bother thinking about Finnish music other than 90's CMX & some black metal bands, but lately I've listened to some in order to send some cultural taste to our sister in Canada. :)
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Nefastos wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:16 am
Funny, all these go exactly like this for me also. I don't hate Finnish metal though. Speaking of the old Finnish classics, what do you think about Juice Leskinen?
Juice Leskinen and Ismo Alanko are also some artists I have listened as child. Both I think are pretty unique and good, but today I don't listen them. Might listen some track for nostalgia reasons once in about 5 years or so. But even when I listened those way ago I did like about half of their material at best. I think there's two different things:
1) value some's work for seeing it is special and unique (and well executed) in some way , and
2) To like music and actually listen to it voluntarily

There's many bands I think highly (or let say "don't see them as garbage and waste of space"), but I don't listen them, and then there's bands that I see as unique in some way and really listen to them. Juice Leskinen and Ismo Alanko for example are unique and "quality stuff" mainly, but I don't listen them. What is wrong with Finnish metal for example, is that there often seem to be highly skilled musicians with extremely poor imagination and taste (of course taste is subjective thing mostly, but not solely). This last comment might raise some "warm feeling"...
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Kenazis wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:43 amJuice Leskinen and Ismo Alanko are also some artists I have listened as child. Both I think are pretty unique and good, but today I don't listen them. Might listen some track for nostalgia reasons once in about 5 years or so. But even when I listened those way ago I did like about half of their material at best.

Once again, I totally agree.

Feeling almost sorry to say this, because my taste in music is usually considered either frivolous or outright bad. :lol:
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Nefastos wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:59 am
Kenazis wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:43 amJuice Leskinen and Ismo Alanko are also some artists I have listened as child. Both I think are pretty unique and good, but today I don't listen them. Might listen some track for nostalgia reasons once in about 5 years or so. But even when I listened those way ago I did like about half of their material at best.

Once again, I totally agree.

Feeling almost sorry to say this, because my taste in music is usually considered either frivolous or outright bad. :lol:
I have always been on that delusion (as it now seems) that I listen good and high quality music. In this new light I finally understand why almost no one likes those many bands I think are great (like Vondur, Sadistik Exekution, Ophiolatry, Blut Aus Nord and Reverorum ib Malacht). Like a lightning flash from delusional musical genius into musico retardus profundus!
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Kenazis wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:43 am I think there's two different things:
1) value some's work for seeing it is special and unique (and well executed) in some way , and
2) To like music and actually listen to it voluntarily

There's many bands I think highly (or let say "don't see them as garbage and waste of space"), but I don't listen them, and then there's bands that I see as unique in some way and really listen to them. Juice Leskinen and Ismo Alanko for example are unique and "quality stuff" mainly, but I don't listen them. What is wrong with Finnish metal for example, is that there often seem to be highly skilled musicians with extremely poor imagination and taste (of course taste is subjective thing mostly, but not solely). This last comment might raise some "warm feeling"...
These things are terrifying on some level to think about if someone who identifies oneself as musician. Maybe for other people as well.
Pride and social shame are somehow linked to it. Some musicians and bands are deified and it's impossible to topple them. Or breaking the "icon" is emotionally too much to bare.
A lot of musical education is based on technical aspects and I don't see it as bad, it's necessary in some ways but there's never a real challenge or thought given for other aspects of music. Therefore music becomes understood as mechanical and with specific techniques which in the end result in poor imagination.

Contrary to my previous post, I think there is good and decent music in Finland.
Sometimes I try to listen to 80's "rock" like Miljoonasade or something contemporary which is in mainstream and think that I might understand why someone likes it.
Yet lyrical themes and music is so far away from what would make me want to listen to it regularly.

Sometimes I think I am too fragile for influences other people import (their taste, values..) that I think maybe I should stop listening to music all together.
Peer pressure, societal expectations having friction with individual values, personal expression that differs from bulk (in good and bad)
In many ways I have grown up and changed but this issue has been with me along the years. It's annoying and distracting.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Kavi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:57 pm These things are terrifying on some level to think about if someone who identifies oneself as musician. Maybe for other people as well.
Pride and social shame are somehow linked to it. Some musicians and bands are deified and it's impossible to topple them. Or breaking the "icon" is emotionally too much to bare.
Good example of musicians deified by fans are Metallica. Lars Ulrich being the technically worst drummer when thinking about his fame was voted as world's best drummer (don't remember the year). And they can't compose a good song. Their albums 2,3,4 are technically more advanced, more imaginative and creative than their new records even they have all the options and possibilities in the world.
Kavi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:57 pmA lot of musical education is based on technical aspects and I don't see it as bad, it's necessary in some ways but there's never a real challenge or thought given for other aspects of music. Therefore music becomes understood as mechanical and with specific techniques which in the end result in poor imagination.

Yes. To put it very simply, I see that being good musician means that you are technically good with your instrument + you have good and creative imagination. With other you can compensate the other a little, and if you "completely lack" the other you ain't good. For example there's bands that are not so technical and may have even poor playing, but are honest of what they do and have imagination for that material (many early black metal bands). Many who have started a new genre have not been overly complicated or best in their execution or playing, they just have been creative and have some new ideas. Then there's those highly technical players that lack imagination (often used examples are Yngvie Malmsteen and Aleksi Laiho). Of course the lack of skill is more restricting your imagination than good skills. I have always been way ahead with my creativity and imagination than my skills are, and I must say that my lack of skills is limiting factor (honestly I would want to play jazz fusion, but I'm forced to play punk...hah, or maybe not).
Kavi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:57 pmContrary to my previous post, I think there is good and decent music in Finland.
Sometimes I try to listen to 80's "rock" like Miljoonasade or something contemporary which is in mainstream and think that I might understand why someone likes it.
Yet lyrical themes and music is so far away from what would make me want to listen to it regularly.
I am certain that many new radio hits are only popular and "liked" because of severe force feeding. Repetition-repetition-repetition...first, the shit doesn't taste so bad anymore and eventually you might like it.
Kavi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:57 pmSometimes I think I am too fragile for influences other people import (their taste, values..) that I think maybe I should stop listening to music all together.
Peer pressure, societal expectations having friction with individual values, personal expression that differs from bulk (in good and bad)
In many ways I have grown up and changed but this issue has been with me along the years. It's annoying and distracting.
I was forced to stop playing music for about two years. My whole life was always been filled by music and I didn't see life without music possible. And people who don't listen music at all are weird like some aliens from another planet. But for me listening music triggers always the need of playing and creating music, so I also stopped listening to music because it was too painful reminder of one of the greatest loss of my life. And as it always is retrospectively, this period was blessing in disguise (I learned to like new musical genres, I found new activities like long distance running, I started writing more etc).
Mars

Post by Mars »

Shape of Despair - Night's Dew

Finnish funeral doom from the album Angels of Distress. The whole album is magnificent, but I've always had an especially soft spot for this instrumental album closer.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Happy music is from hell, except when it's from Japan. Boredoms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5K9ZNzS3mQ