What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Nefastos

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:39 pmNo true satanist would prefer the band, that made a Baywatch music video, with David Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson. Burn the heretic! :twisted:

So that is the reason why I listened to the awesome True Faith for months in a row.

But mostly -

Benemal wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:39 pmThere has to be a line, or all is chaos.

My chaos has ruptured in a singularity of sorts, and after listening mostly 80's' italo-pop for so long I am now once again totally fascinated by black metal. From dawn to dusk, at least when I'm alone, it is once again Norwegian (and Finnish & some other) black metal. Such a tender hatred and spiritual blackness where despair and duty, hope and weird dark loneliness meet. It's like coming home at the edge of everything.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nefastos wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:59 pm the awesome True Faith
One of my all time favourites.

I've been listening to Sodom and Kreator. Of these two I prefer Sodom, but Kreator's newer song/video "Satan is Real" is f*cking awesom. I don't care how the guys in Kreator have ment the song to be taken, but I enjoy it with ny tongue firmly off the cheek.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

obnoxion wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:07 pm ... but Kreator's newer song/video "Satan is Real" is f*cking awesom. I don't care how the guys in Kreator have ment the song to be taken, but I enjoy it with ny tongue firmly off the cheek.
That whole record is pretty good. And Satan is real and Fallen brother are great songs. There's much musically in that record that reminds of Dissection's Reinkaos (sign that is never a fail).
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Kenazis wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:07 pm There's just something in Finnish black metal that I don't like. That "Finnish sound" is boring to my ears. Only Finnish bm bands that mean something to me is old Impaled Nazarene (new material is awful), Beherit and Archgoat's Rise of the Black Moon. Later (about 7 years ago) I found Enochian Crescent's Nef.Iv.Lim. Those are only records that I have listened and still listen some times from the Finnish bm genre.

Lately I've been listening lots of synth and piano stuff, for I'm practicing my keyboard-skills (from very low level). Now practicing Arcturus´Star Crossed.
I just saw Arcturus play this past summer! I'm not too terribly familiar with much Finnish BM outside of Archgoat and Impaled Nazarene, or at least to my knowledge. Keeping these titles in my back pocket to explore.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Nefastos wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:59 pm My chaos has ruptured in a singularity of sorts, and after listening mostly 80's' italo-pop for so long I am now once again totally fascinated by black metal. From dawn to dusk, at least when I'm alone, it is once again Norwegian (and Finnish & some other) black metal. Such a tender hatred and spiritual blackness where despair and duty, hope and weird dark loneliness meet. It's like coming home at the edge of everything.[/color]
What a beautiful way to describe it. Also, what is 80's italo-pop??
Nefastos wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:59 pm So that is the reason why I listened to the awesome True Faith for months in a row.
Oh yesssssss I love this song.
Kenazis wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:25 pm
obnoxion wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:07 pm ... but Kreator's newer song/video "Satan is Real" is f*cking awesom. I don't care how the guys in Kreator have ment the song to be taken, but I enjoy it with ny tongue firmly off the cheek.
That whole record is pretty good. And Satan is real and Fallen brother are great songs. There's much musically in that record that reminds of Dissection's Reinkaos (sign that is never a fail).

I haven't seen the video for Satan is Real but it's so catchy. I love thrash, but most of my friend circles make fun of me for it these days.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Polyhymnia wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 am I haven't seen the video for Satan is Real but it's so catchy. I love thrash, but most of my friend circles make fun of me for it these days.
I feel old Thrash takes me to a place where anything was still possible with Occult and Satanic metal music. The direction I would have liked to see more would be the sort of folk horror ambience (reference to movies like Wicker Man and Blood on Satan's Claw) on which the Kreator video is based. What I definataley would not have wanted to hear was songs about war and politics, both of which did much to ruin both Thrash and especially Black Metal for me. But such things are easier to tolerate in Thrash because in Thrash there has always been room for honest immaturity. Of course Black Metal, too, has been from the start wildly immature, but there has always been a massive effort to obscure that.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

obnoxion wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:39 am I feel old Thrash takes me to a place where anything was still possible with Occult and Satanic metal music. The direction I would have liked to see more would be the sort of folk horror ambience (reference to movies like Wicker Man and Blood on Satan's Claw) on which the Kreator video is based. What I definataley would not have wanted to hear was songs about war and politics, both of which did much to ruin both Thrash and especially Black Metal for me. But such things are easier to tolerate in Thrash because in Thrash there has always been room for honest immaturity. Of course Black Metal, too, has been from the start wildly immature, but there has always been a massive effort to obscure that.
Oh yes, I love old Trash Metal.
Sodom is always good for nostalgia because they still sound almost the same. Sure the texts are mostly about war but at least they managed to never be get political about it. And let‘s be honest, the word „Bombenhagel“ is just made for a Trash Metal text. :) This kind of music takes me back to a time of blessed ignorance where the mindset that is transported by the music was not polluted with all this normative luggage.

As soon as Metal gets too political, I find it anoying. A political purpose mostly takes away the spirit of the music and I don‘t want to visit a concert and listen to political slogans all night. But this tendency can be found in comedy, literature ect.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Cerastes wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:15 pm Sodom is always good for nostalgia because they still sound almost the same. Sure the texts are mostly about war but at least they managed to never be get political about it.
After the amazing "Obsessed by Cruelty", I guess there was something of a trend-shift in thrash metal from the occult to the war themes, and Sodom really thrived on it.But nevermind the golden oldies, one of my absolute favourite thrash song is Sodom's "Better off Dead". It is such a perfect song.

Also, mr. Angelripper is somehow exceptionally imposing front man for the band. His charisma always made me see him as a sort of Lemmy of Trash Metal.
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

obnoxion wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:27 pm Also, mr. Angelripper is somehow exceptionally imposing front man for the band. His charisma always made me see him as a sort of Lemmy of Trash Metal.
Tom never took himself very serious and that‘s why even the war songs are somehow okay when he sings them. I don‘t know if his solo project is known internationally but he did a few fun-metal albums as „Onkel Tom“ with silly drinking songs in German. The texts are so childish and funny that it puts a halo effect over the war texts.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Polyhymnia wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 amAlso, what is 80's italo-pop??

In the 1980's, Italian pop music lived its weird golden era of pathos & optimism. For some reason, this very un-Finnish attitude stroke a chord in many a Finn, and a great number of Italian pop-culture songs were imported & sold well in our cold and bleak country. Since this happened to be the time when I was living through my own more golden years of childhood, before the economical as well as personal depression of the 1990's, it made me permanently love this particular branch of pop music. It goes all the way from complete easygoingness to extreme pathos.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"