What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Polyhymnia

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Polyhymnia »

After becoming obsessed with mondo films this week, I ended up stumbling upon an album by Mike Patton titled Mondo Cane, just like the film! But, unlike the film, the entire experience made me feel really good as it features covers of Italian pop songs from the 50s and 60s (and not interesting but often cruel depictions of humanity, like in the movie).
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I just revisited one of my favourite music videos from when I was a young boy, "Graveyard Party Blues" by Hearthill. It was even more awesome than I remembered. I really like rock music that 1) shows roots in blues music 2) you could dance to. And this hits both spots easy. It has all the ingredients that woukd make a perfect psychobilly song, and yet it transcends psychobilly.

Another tune that I've been lately into is "Lemuria Rising" by the Murder City Devils. As usual with the MCD, the lyrics are a vital support for the song. When you drop names like Virginia Woolf, Eddie Spagheti and Kenneth Anger in one angry song, it is hard to go wrong. Each name has its own particular aura, and when you combine them it becomes like poetic cartoon mythology; They sound so out of context together that they're almost like the barbarous names of evocation we're used to seeing in the grimoires. Anyway, it really is an impressive rock song, I think.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I've been enjoying tastes of things to come. There are two new songs from The Cure available for listening - "Step into the Light" and "It can never be the same again". Especially the latter one seems like an instant classic, and it is immediately clear that it deals with the experinces of loosing loved ones.

Around The Cure, happy news seem to be multiplying: Instead of one new album, we are getting three! I have both faith and hope that this resurfacing of the darker Cure will be setting the tone for the music of the coming decade:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.radiox ... re-albums/
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:48 pmNext I would recommend more british depression, Joy Division. Perhaps you've missed this legendary band also. I feel like a hipster, mentioning them. Not really a nice feeling, but I'll suffer for the greater good. Two albums, before the vocalist hanged himself in 1980. There's no other band that sounds the same, though many would like to.

Maybe it's because Permanent isn't an album but a collection of singles like you mentioned elsewhere, but listening to it really doesn't hit me in a good way. The way of singing makes me think of an alcoholic Johnny Cash, and I hate that kind of falsely relaxed manly attitude. But I'll keep trying, I remember you suggesting Unknown Pleasures, so I try to get my hands on that.

Today I arranged my shelf of Finnish Black Metal after quite a many years without listening to it almost at all. It might be interesting to go through every album in an alphabetical order, but that might also be a bit too much.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:40 pm The way of singing makes me think of an alcoholic Johnny Cash, and I hate that kind of falsely relaxed manly attitude. But I'll keep trying, I remember you suggesting Unknown Pleasures, so I try to get my hands on that.
I find Ian Curtis almost the opposite of "manly" and certainly the opposite of relaxed. He was afflicted by very bad epilepsy, which is why he killed himself, besides depression. He was only 24, but sounds older. That can maybe produce a false image.
Yeah, Unknown Pleasures is a unique musical time capsule of a dark depressed island, on the brink of an uprising. It's the pinnacle of the apex of gloom, bleakness and dread.
Nefastos wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:40 pm Today I arranged my shelf of Finnish Black Metal after quite a many years without listening to it almost at all.
If you'd like to hear something more recent, try Oranssi Pazuzu's "Värähtelijä". The kids call that psychedelic black metal. Great record.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Benemal wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:12 pmIan Curtis
Ian Curtis is a cult figure, but the whole band was gifted. I've enjoyed much more the music of New Order (the band formed by the remaining members of Joy Division after the vocalist's death) than the music of Joy Division. Yes, I know I'm a bloody heretic...
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:40 pm
Today I arranged my shelf of Finnish Black Metal after quite a many years without listening to it almost at all. It might be interesting to go through every album in an alphabetical order, but that might also be a bit too much.
I'm curious as to some of your favourites on your Finnish BM shelf!
Benemal wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:12 pm I find Ian Curtis almost the opposite of "manly" and certainly the opposite of relaxed. He was afflicted by very bad epilepsy, which is why he killed himself, besides depression. He was only 24, but sounds older.
I feel such sorrow watching him perform. Certainly his onstage fits of epilepsy make for an interesting watch though.
obnoxion wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:31 am I've been enjoying tastes of things to come. There are two new songs from The Cure available for listening - "Step into the Light" and "It can never be the same again". Especially the latter one seems like an instant classic, and it is immediately clear that it deals with the experinces of loosing loved ones.
OOOO I know what I'm listening to today!!!!

Also, I've been drowning in the debut album from Lindy-Fay Hella of Wardruna fame. It was released in September, and it hasn't left my daily rotation. Her voice just carries me away. It's called Seafarer if anyone is interested in checking it out.
One of my favourite tracks on there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAj60wQR2OU
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:12 pmOranssi Pazuzu's "Värähtelijä". The kids call that psychedelic black metal. Great record.

Oranssi Pazuzu has interested me for a while, but for some reason I never remember to buy that when I have a chance. Maybe I'll start with YouTube version, even though I'm pretty tired of hearing about Grammarly the 10,000th time.

Polyhymnia wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:16 pmI'm curious as to some of your favourites on your Finnish BM shelf!

Today I started my morning listening to The Black Forest (by Pest), Only Dust Moves... (by Thy Serpent) and Satanist (by Thyrane).
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

obnoxion wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:34 pm I've enjoyed much more the music of New Order (the band formed by the remaining members of Joy Division after the vocalist's death) than the music of Joy Division. Yes, I know I'm a bloody heretic...
No true satanist would prefer the band, that made a Baywatch music video, with David Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson. Burn the heretic! :twisted:

Truth is I love New Order too. I think they wanted to get as far as possible, from where they started. I will not listen to the album, that has the Baywatch crime attached. There has to be a line, or all is chaos.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Polyhymnia wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:16 pm I'm curious as to some of your favourites on your Finnish BM shelf!
There's just something in Finnish black metal that I don't like. That "Finnish sound" is boring to my ears. Only Finnish bm bands that mean something to me is old Impaled Nazarene (new material is awful), Beherit and Archgoat's Rise of the Black Moon. Later (about 7 years ago) I found Enochian Crescent's Nef.Iv.Lim. Those are only records that I have listened and still listen some times from the Finnish bm genre.

Lately I've been listening lots of synth and piano stuff, for I'm practicing my keyboard-skills (from very low level). Now practicing Arcturus´Star Crossed.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"