What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Kenazis

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Kenazis »

obnoxion wrote: Also, I think LatL should be mandatory listening for students of Social Work in Finland...
Been there, done that. YUP would be another recommendation. Still listening newest Morbid Angel with some sidetracking to newest Summoning album.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

obnoxion wrote:Leevi and the Leavings [...] mandatory

Oh dear God please No :lol:

It was just a few hours before your discussion when I used LatL as a prime example of the kind of Finnish music about melancholy of the everyday life I personally cannot tolerate, at all.

(The diversity of different loves in the brotherhood often makes me very happy. It feels that also the things that I can't like are "taken care of" by the other people. I always think of this when facing intolerable things like pine trees and, I guess from this day on, Leevi and the Leavings. I hope my brethren can feel something similar about my own often weird tastes.)
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nefastos wrote:

It was just a few hours before your discussion when I used LatL as a prime example of the kind of Finnish music about melancholy of the everyday life I personally cannot tolerate, at all.

(The diversity of different loves in the brotherhood often makes me very happy. It feels that also the things that I can't like are "taken care of" by the other people. I always think of this when facing intolerable things like pine trees and, I guess from this day on, Leevi and the Leavings. I hope my brethren can feel something similar about my own often weird tastes.)
I think I know what you mean by that melancholy, and I dislike it in Eppu Normaali (and I also dislike their dry brand of humour). LanL, on the other hand, I find rather cheerful and upbeat.... But varied tastes are certainly a positive thing!
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nefastos wrote:

Seconded. Very strongly. I can't tolerate this band. Or eppu normaali. It's something about music that deals with mundane matters that I often struggle with. On a bright side, at least the former will never release another record.

Of pine trees we will never see eye to eye though. For pines are Noble guardians and rulers, with immense authority and weight. I like that.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Heith wrote:
Nefastos wrote:

Seconded. Very strongly. I can't tolerate this band. Or eppu normaali. It's something about music that deals with mundane matters that I often struggle with. On a bright side, at least the former will never release another record.
Well, I am super-mundane person myself, and I tend to diregard all spiritual practices that cannot be easily aplied to mundane concerns. Earthly is spiritual, common is rarified, routine is ceremony...
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

I can't tolerate finnish rock or pop music, but I think Leevi and the leaving was and is in its very own category. I listened that band on early nineties. Then not, but still I have somekind of respect for the uniqueness of the band. The feeling and attitude Nefastos describes I got from these: Apulanta & Kotiteollisuus.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

obnoxion wrote:Well, I am super-mundane person myself, and I tend to diregard all spiritual practices that cannot be easily aplied to mundane concerns. Earthly is spiritual, common is rarified, routine is ceremony...

Once again emerges this curious difference-likeness of the extremes. While I also live in a way where my everyday life constantly seeks to touch the divine, for me this is so just because I cannot believe in the everyday life itself. It therefore becomes like a parable, transparent veil or a reflection. For you, I guess we might say that you can believe it, because of these same reasons?

If someone would be able to choose herself, I would recommend your model, which brings both happiness & the feeling of belonging, indeed the best of the both worlds, while my path is the one of alienation and psychic suffering. But these are our beautiful karmas, equal in spirit I would like to think (for if they are not, it is my way that is lacking).

Kenazis wrote:I can't tolerate finnish rock or pop music, but I think Leevi and the leaving was and is in its very own category.

For me the exception from this Finnish rock hate is nineties' CMX.

Heith wrote:Of pine trees we will never see eye to eye though. For pines are Noble guardians and rulers, with immense authority and weight. I like that.

These kings also live often in exile, twisting wretched & tormented on solid rock, without a green leaf to give them the fleeting comfort of the living... But yes, as said, it is good we have these regimented sympathies. For love and empathy (buddhi) doesn't require such sympathy (which is kâmic) to exist.

EDIT: Link must be appropriate.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Nefastos wrote:For me the exception from this Finnish rock hate is nineties' CMX.
Yes! You know I agree with that. But I don't even consider CMX to be in same "category". It can be and sometimes are, but first two for example are very far from pop and radio-rock. CMX from Kolmikärki to Rautakantele and YUP from 1990-1992 to Yövieraat has very special Place in my heart. There's just something that I generally don't like in finnish music. It goes with metal music also. Finnish black metal, death metal and heavy metal in general are not good. Talent-wise Finish musicians often are extremely good, but their imagination and song-writing is often the opposite. Muutama poikkeus tosin löytyy (hah! in your face english-speakers).
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nefastos wrote:
obnoxion wrote:Well, I am super-mundane person myself, and I tend to diregard all spiritual practices that cannot be easily aplied to mundane concerns. Earthly is spiritual, common is rarified, routine is ceremony...

Once again emerges this curious difference-likeness of the extremes. While I also live in a way where my everyday life constantly seeks to touch the divine, for me this is so just because I cannot believe in the everyday life itself. It therefore becomes like a parable, transparent veil or a reflection. For you, I guess we might say that you can believe it, because of these same reasons?

If someone would be able to choose herself, I would recommend your model, which brings both happiness & the feeling of belonging, indeed the best of the both worlds, while my path is the one of alienation and psychic suffering. But these are our beautiful karmas, equal in spirit I would like to think (for if they are not, it is my way that is lacking.
Equal in spirit. But I would say that otherwise mine would be lacking, for I would have never managed to start a Brotherhood like this, or endure like you have. I sometimes think that you must feel like you were living under a mountain.

But compared to these matters, tastes in music seem inconsequental. I suppose I'm more into folkish music than classical music, and I think that pretty much sums it up for me. And I like most Finnish pop, rock and punk bands. But not much metal.

Still, I suppose I'm not the only one who likes Sielun Veljet...
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Kenazis wrote:CMX from Kolmikärki to Rautakantele and YUP from 1990-1992 to Yövieraat has very special Place in my heart.

Yes, that's the timeline after which happened something I couldn't follow either. Funny that you mentioned YUP, since I hadn't thought of them in many, many years (apart from one brief mention from brother Beshiira the last autumn), but just a few days ago I had a dream where YUP's ideas or concepts were pictures put on display in the alcoves of an almost chapel-like exhibition. Most likely telling about idealization of a dynamic verbal intellect, since that's what YUP was about, at least for me. I've always picked my bands because of the lyrics, starting from Juice Leskinen in my early teens, and was never equally interested if there was brilliance in the musical side, let alone in the skill of its performance.

obnoxion wrote:mountain

Once again your intuition strikes straight at the heart. Eight days ago, at the breaking point of despair, I kept listening to CMX's less known song Vuori ("Mountain") over & over again, wondering why it was thus named... The song itself is rough to a point of sounding unfinished, but the kathartic summit about "the veil over everything silently lifting its hem" always brings tears to my eyes.