What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Circaeon

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Circaeon »

[quote="Heith"]I'm on a Finnish streak.

Lasten Hautausmaa has been playing today, as well as Sammal.

Yesterday I was listening to Mana Mana, and Pyhä Kuolema.[/quote]

I was actually unfamiliar with both Pyhä Kuolema and Lasten Hautausmaa. I thus thank you for the introduction. Excellent music. I am quite the fan of Neofolk, Ambient and Martial and was shamefully not even aware of the existence of Finnish Neofolk. Finnish Martial and Ambient - on the other hand - I am much familiar with. Halo Manash and Arktau Eos are both brilliant constellations. I am acquainted with Antti Littmanen (Great guy) and have had the satisfaction in experiencing at least Arktau Eos live. Pure magic(k).
Heith

Post by Heith »

Circaeon wrote:
I was actually unfamiliar with both Pyhä Kuolema and Lasten Hautausmaa. I thus thank you for the introduction. Excellent music. I am quite the fan of Neofolk, Ambient and Martial and was shamefully not even aware of the existence of Finnish Neofolk. Finnish Martial and Ambient - on the other hand - I am much familiar with. Halo Manash and Arktau Eos are both brilliant constellations. I am acquainted with Antti Littmanen (Great guy) and have had the satisfaction in experiencing at least Arktau Eos live. Pure magic(k).
Oh, nice to hear! I will let you know of any further bands that you might appreciate. As it happens, I was also listening to Arktau Eos whilst visiting a fellow fraternity member last week, so that is also on recent playlists. Halo Manash I also like. I would recommend to keep an eye on Svart Records, although you probably are already familiar with them. They release quite a lot of stuff.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Circaeon wrote:
I'd recommend checking out Armon Kuilu if you're not familiar with it. More into the direction of martial but I don't know what to call it. Heard they employed professional actors and musicians to perform this record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIq_0yrLe8

Scott Walkers Scott 1 gave me a peace of mind this week and Type O Negative really works for me during January. Now the ears seem to be searching for more electronic sounds. Yesterday I went for an adventure revisiting Erkki Kurenniemi pioneering works from the 60s and 70s. Some annoying and imaginative moments there.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Vanadís

Post by Vanadís »

For past two months I've been listening almost only Finnish Doom. Spiritus Mortis got their fourth album out in November. SM is the oldest doom metal band in Finland, since 1987. "The Year is One" is one of the best albums ever. Interesting occultish/necromantish lyrics and the most awesome voice in the Universe by Sami A. Hynninen. (Best known Albert Witchwinder in Reverend Bizarre).

"As above, so below.
The gods of emptiness crush down the nations.
Celestial spheres, dark gorges.
Hidden corners, silent forests."

Well, some Angelo Badalamenti because just watched Twin Peaks 1-2 series. Classical music and older Finnish music by Love Records too, but I must thank fra RaktaZoci for playing that in our home!
Otava

Post by Otava »

Today I took a long walk on ice and listened Michael Stearns and Popol Vuh.

Popol Vuh was completely new for me. Definitely going to listen some more.
Circaeon

Post by Circaeon »

[quote="Otava"]Today I took a long walk on ice and listened Michael Stearns and Popol Vuh.

Popol Vuh was completely new for me. Definitely going to listen some more.[/quote]

Excellent choice! Popol Vuh is a truly wonderful constellation! They have created the soundtracks to some of my favourite movies - Herz aus Glas, Aguirre – der Zorn Gottes and Nosferatu – Phantom der Nacht.

Yes, I am a fan of the Herzog + Kinski combination. Haha. And before some else mentions it, I do know that the 1976-version Nosferatu – Phantom der Nacht is a remake of the F.W. Murnaus 1922 masterpiece Nosferatu – eine Symphonie des Grauens (with Fraternitas Saturni's Albin Grau as both producer and production designer). This is also on my Top-10 list over favourite movies. =)
Heith

Post by Heith »

Circaeon wrote:[quote="Otava"]Today I took a long walk on ice and listened Michael Stearns and Popol Vuh.

Popol Vuh was completely new for me. Definitely going to listen some more.
Excellent choice! Popol Vuh is a truly wonderful constellation! They have created the soundtracks to some of my favourite movies - Herz aus Glas, Aguirre – der Zorn Gottes and Nosferatu – Phantom der Nacht.

Yes, I am a fan of the Herzog + Kinski combination. Haha. And before some else mentions it, I do know that the 1976-version Nosferatu – Phantom der Nacht is a remake of the F.W. Murnaus 1922 masterpiece Nosferatu – eine Symphonie des Grauens (with Fraternitas Saturni's Albin Grau as both producer and production designer). This is also on my Top-10 list over favourite movies. =) [/size][/quote]

Funny synchronity; when Frater Otava mentioned having listened to Popol Vuh, I had done that on the same day. The band is new to me -except from Kinski's Nosferatu, which is one of the better films. We then discussed of this film briefly on that day, when listening to the Popol Vuh soundtrack.

As to 1922 Nosferatu, it truly is a masterpiece in the history of cinema. It is artistically so sound that it doesn't seem to age.
Mimesis

Post by Mimesis »

Circaeon wrote:
I was actually unfamiliar with both Pyhä Kuolema and Lasten Hautausmaa. I thus thank you for the introduction.
The same perpetrator has actually introduced me to both of these artists within the last week, and I have fallen particularly in love with Pyhä Kuolema. Saavun Vaikken Kulkisi is fantastic, albeit granted that the extent of my love for it probably stems from the recent experiences and memories that it became a soundtrack to.
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

It somehow seems always like this when I do something in my private life and then looking at forum and noticing, that someone else is doing it too. :D

I have been listening to Popol Vuh's Agape-Agape recently. But I have yet not seen the Nosferatu film :D
Heith

Post by Heith »

Tako wrote:It somehow seems always like this when I do something in my private life and then looking at forum and noticing, that someone else is doing it too. :D
That is a very positive thing I think!

Tähtiportti, anyone? I don't know why I enjoy this album so much, it kind of puts me on edge but still I keep on listening, it's a bit hypnotising.

Another great song from them is Ihmeiden aika ei ole ohi, "The time of wonders is not over". This is perhaps a easier first listen if one is not familiar with Tähtiportti.