Computer games / roleplaying

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Heith

Computer games / roleplaying

Post by Heith »

The little that I've discussed about gaming with my fellow brethren has showed that a surprising number have found them useful in their occult studies.

I haven't (computer) gamed that much or well, that many games, but tend to choose roleplay / fantasy themed games. Computer gaming works as a stress relief, so basically when I overwork myself I tend to take a day or two and do little except game. Empties the brain wonderfully and then I am able to work again!

What I have done quite a lot is pen & paper RP and I believe this has shaped me and my way of thinking a little bit. I lack greatly in strategic thinking (hence my dislike towards strategic board games for example) and my strength lies more in the ability to imagine things. As I started to role-play, I noticed that people generally have one type of a character they go for- for example, a leader type, or a fighter. My character typically is always male. I have explained this to the game master to be because I lack the ability to understand females and this was very true up until perhaps two- three years ago. I notice a discomfort when playing female characters and also lack of empathy towards them- in short, I begin to make choices that will kill the character so I can re-roll.

I have mostly gamed White Wolf RPGs, mainly Vampire series, but dabbled in Wraith: the oblivion (which was a good game) and Werewolf. I've also been a part of a gaming system my friends have developed over ten years or so- always enjoyable as it's quite realistic though perhaps confusing at first as the character sheet is some five pages long and the font's tiny. What currently interests me is horror genre, and I would like to try more lovecraftian games. Actually this is the only genre I would like to GM but don't know enough of it to create a believable setting.
RaktaZoci

Re: Computer games / roleplaying

Post by RaktaZoci »

I wouldn't really say "useful in occult studies", but maybe this is true, unconsciously. I have dealt with mostly the electrical versions of AD&D, games like Baldur's Gate I & II, Neverwinter Nights I&II, Icewind dale etc. mostly taking place in the Forgotten Realms phantasy world. Of course, besides this I have played early rpgs on consoles like NES and SNES, such as the Zelda series, Xanadu, Battle of Olympus, Shadowgate, among others.

When I was a teeneager I have also been in the LARP-circles (yes, it's true), but mostly influenced in the Kuopio region (eastern-Finland). My friends had their own Saga written which took place in Finland when it was still under Swedish control. There were many games like this and I have been a german noble fur salesman, a russian (Novgorod) officer (more than one occasion), in other connection an arab terrorist, a black orc (two games), a cyberpunk biker gang member, a male hooker (!), etc.

Many people consider this kind of thing sort of foolish, but I always saw it mostly as acting without a script. When you think of that, that's what life, an living, is too.

Referring to your text, "my" character has always been an elven archer, preferrably a wood elf, if such has been available. Always the archer, never a fighter. Or then, alternatively, a cleric or a druid. I haven't played much pen & paper games, but would very much like to. The GM has just always been a problem.

I have also played the old Warhammer miniature game (phantasy), my armies The Dark Elves and lately Lizardmen. I also love old board game rpg's, such as Hero Quest and Space Crusade, which I still own. I like strategy a lot, and enjoyed games like The Fire Emblem-series on Nintendo.

In case you are interested in horror, I would recommend the board game Arkham Horror. I've been interested in it myself a very long time, but haven't been able to purchase it, since it's quite expensive. I am sort of a Lovecraft buff, you know!!

Another board game, which I find enjoyable is Zombies (which I also have). It is about just, well, killing zombies, but it keeps its interest, since the "board" is different every time, since it's built from little squares turn by turn.

On other games, I did play both Halflifes through on PC, but didn't really find the genre interesting after that..
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Heith

Post by Heith »

RaktaZoci wrote: In case you are interested in horror, I would recommend the board game Arkham Horror. I've been interested in it myself a very long time, but haven't been able to purchase it, since it's quite expensive. I am sort of a Lovecraft buff, you know!!
Ye I have Arkham Horror, but none of the expansions. I think I've played "Zombies" as well. Small sized game, isn't it?
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

Heith wrote:
RaktaZoci wrote: In case you are interested in horror, I would recommend the board game Arkham Horror. I've been interested in it myself a very long time, but haven't been able to purchase it, since it's quite expensive. I am sort of a Lovecraft buff, you know!!
Ye I have Arkham Horror, but none of the expansions. I think I've played "Zombies" as well. Small sized game, isn't it?
Yea, sort of small sized, but of course with the expansions, which are several, the 'board' can expand to cover quite a big area. For this reason we usually played on the floor, because the tables always ran out of space.
-Hegel
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

A very interesting topic, this.

I think many people still tend to separate the two, the so called serious study & playing games. This in turn may easily create a somewhat hypocritical situation where one enjoys the aesthetics of some genre (say, occult or paranormal horror) but has problems understanding how reality and entertainment overlap & how they do not.

Personally I have made just that mistake earlier, when I gave up gaming altogether in order to focus on "real" things in the nineties. But maybe that - the wrong path I have spoken of earlier, the one of quite severe mortification - was needed to find an absolute foundation.

Heith wrote:I haven't (computer) gamed that much or well, that many games, but tend to choose roleplay / fantasy themed games. Computer gaming works as a stress relief, so basically when I overwork myself I tend to take a day or two and do little except game. Empties the brain wonderfully and then I am able to work again!

Yes, this goes for me too. I can't (do not want to) play anything else than RPG's with possibilities for either real "playing of a role", I mean possibilities of deeper kind of interaction besides of the character development. Almost a must is the presence of magic, for that is what I see the most meaningful, beautiful thing in the world. The only thing which I could see a partial substitute for it is sex, but I have yet to see a good RPG focusing on that.

Partially linked to that is the choice of my character. I can play both male and female roles, but the male ones I have no interest to play any other role than a magician, or its equivalent: e.g. in Fallout series which I have enjoyed it is a character using Speech and not violence. I really appreciate games where it is possible to advance without any use of violence ever, like Fallout 1. With my female characters I am more versatile. Of this pacifism in gaming I believe I have written elsewhere already... In Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 3) I got to level 19 & quite long in the story with my pacifist necromancer character who never hurt anybody. After that I got stuck in a mission that would have required killing, lol.

Heith wrote:The little that I've discussed about gaming with my fellow brethren has showed that a surprising number have found them useful in their occult studies.

Yeah. Not only the psychological effect (like from those pacifist challenges &c.) nor the great relaxation like you mentioned (for it is a different altogether to relax with complete passivity of TV or by using your wits in a fictional world) I am a firm believer of RPG's yet to be discovered possibilities for real psychological benefits.

I made the first version of my own pen & paper Role Playing Game in 1991, when I was twelve. We play the same game still, I think the version I am right now writing is version 10 or something like that. The game is of almost a Nethackian world where all the different clichees meet with some new ideas, so that everything is possible. I find that a great way of releasing creativity & finding very real empowerment of psyche.

Besides the RP-gaming is fun & envigorating, it also presents ethical & intellectual problems and gives grand possibilities to develop astral (imaginative) and mental (social &c.) skills. In a simulated atmosphere one can learn to both identify with and dissociate from one's personal, always partly trauma-based psyche in a very constructive manner. That is, if the Game Master is good. A bad GM will just create a solipsistic bubble of his own for others to go through or encourage shallow consequenceless bloodbath or drama-queenery with no much depth.

My all time favourite of the computer RPGs was the Hero's Quest aka. Quest for Glory 1 with a text parser (a mouse-directed version was horrible), which really gave the game a "you can (try to) do anything!" feel. I wish they still did those kind of games. Another paragon of magnificence is Silent Hill 2. There too, in a way, you are a magician... although it's a black magician going through the hell of his own making. Possibly the best and most intelligent game ever made.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nefastos wrote:
Besides the RP-gaming is fun & envigorating, it also presents ethical & intellectual problems and gives grand possibilities to develop astral (imaginative) and mental (social &c.) skills. In a simulated atmosphere one can learn to both identify with and dissociate from one's personal, always partly trauma-based psyche in a very constructive manner. That is, if the Game Master is good. A bad GM will just create a solipsistic bubble of his own for others to go through or encourage shallow consequenceless bloodbath or drama-queenery with no much depth.
Exactly! I also think that games (movies / radio etc) offer a place where mythology may survive. I think we discussed this one time- at this point, our society does not recognise the psychological (or magical!) importance of myth and archetypes, but rather treats them as stories to be told to children that some idiot barbarians believed in, whereas, the similarities of certain myths that surface around the world in conditions that seem not linked (aka, the cultures not having met) is very interesting.

I also find roleplaying (pen & paper) to be extremely good exercise for imagination. And for me it's also important that magic (/otherwordly) are in some way a part of the game, even if it's just a undercurrent and the actual characters do not necessarily have any "powers".

Interesting what you write about being ok with a male character if they are a magician. I would perhaps be alright with playing a female that was a witch. Must try some time!
Insanus

Post by Insanus »

It's actually quite difficult to say what is an RPG to me as I'm prone to fantasy & take every serious game quite personally; if I don't, it ceases to be a game or ceases to be interesting. I don't only mean that I put all of my ego into winning or losing (though often enough that too :D ), but that me playing a game and me not playing a game are like different entities - when I play a game, I play in every sense of the word, seriously change.
Zelda mythology is alive in me just like the Tree of Life & it also forms a link to the past (pun intended) which is also useful and not just fun and nostalgic.
Jumalan synnit ovat kourallinen hiekkaa ihmisen valtameressä
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

I had a funny experience a couple of years ago, with Pekka Ervast and Call of Duty. I read a lot of Ervast inside a week, at least five books and then I got frustrated with all the RHP stuff and wanted to shoot a lot of people. So I borrowed CoD Modern warfare trilogy and played the whole thing in a couple of days. I really enjoyed it, which is unusual, because before that, I didn't like the genre (fps shooting humans I mean). This funny balancing worked really well and violent games helped reflect on Ervast's books. Thanks to Ervast I was able to enjoy shooting people more than ever before.
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

Benemal wrote:I had a funny experience a couple of years ago, with Pekka Ervast and Call of Duty. I read a lot of Ervast inside a week, at least five books and then I got frustrated with all the RHP stuff and wanted to shoot a lot of people. So I borrowed CoD Modern warfare trilogy and played the whole thing in a couple of days. I really enjoyed it, which is unusual, because before that, I didn't like the genre (fps shooting humans I mean). This funny balancing worked really well and violent games helped reflect on Ervast's books. Thanks to Ervast I was able to enjoy shooting people more than ever before.
The contrast is understandable! :D
-Hegel
Tulihenki

Post by Tulihenki »

Benemal wrote:This funny balancing worked really well and violent games helped reflect on Ervast's books. Thanks to Ervast I was able to enjoy shooting people more than ever before.
I didn't quite get is that a good thing or bad? :)

Currently I'm playing Bloodborne on Playstation 4 and it's absolutely terrifying to play at midnight - literally like diving to astral nightmares or to mind of a schizophrenic. Demons, beasts and twisted lunatics who has worshipped some Elder Ones (lovecraftian adaption), which are tearing you apart if your focus is elsewhere.