Abstraction

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
MAF

Abstraction

Post by MAF »

This is an abstract drawing I did last year in colored pencil, not of the greatest of quality since the drawing is not scanned. Abstraction has been a focal point for me since I started drawing many years ago. This drawing posted below started out with not much detail in the sketching process. I used some prisma colored pencils along with the crayola ones I have. Colored and blended to the best of my ability since I did not have a blending stick to yield some better results.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/unwillinge ... 430821421/

If anyone takes a liking to abstraction art, feel free to post any artwork that you take liking to :)
v-a

Re: Abstraction

Post by v-a »

I am myself very interested of abstractionism. Painting abstract art is very personal process, and often as a watcher it is impossible to connect abstract paintings into any idealogy (so I am not trying to share here any ideas about similatiries of occultism and abstractionism).
Here are some of my favorite abstract painters
Alberto Burri http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Burri
Manolo Millares http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manolo_Millares
Antoni Tapies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoni_Tapies
Lucio Munoz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucio_Munoz
And my all the time favorite Hermann Nitsch http://www.nitsch.org/index-en.html
(speaking of hermann nitsch, I really, really love viennese actionism)
Eradicatus

Post by Eradicatus »

There is plenty of meaning within abstraction I believe one must try to interpret, Mel(MAF), every time I glance at this and the other abstracts you have shared with me my eyes always take notice upon something within them. Do you wonder sometimes if your subconscious, your emotions, and thoughts, take a role in them as you draw such beautiful Abstractions? :)
Build not upon sand, but upon rock And build not for today or yesterday but for all time.
- Codex Saerus, The Black Book of Satan - Anton Long.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I've been reading the partially autobiographical book on C. G. Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", and if i remember correctly, i think he said something like modern art has become very much about the contents of subconscious.

This got me thinking, what then is the difference between modern and "pre-modern" art. As i see it, the older art almost exclusevely draws its themes from religion, which Jung does consider the field of collective subconscious par excellence.

To me it seems that if there is a major change between modern art and all the older, it could be in the discipline of the technique. Or it might be that the individual experience is stressed over the collective or cultural perspective. And then again, i think that at least surrealism did draw major inspiration from the so-called primitive themes of man's collective psychic layers.

What do you think?
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
MAF

Post by MAF »

Eradicatus wrote:There is plenty of meaning within abstraction I believe one must try to interpret, Mel(MAF), every time I glance at this and the other abstracts you have shared with me my eyes always take notice upon something within them. Do you wonder sometimes if your subconscious, your emotions, and thoughts, take a role in them as you draw such beautiful Abstractions? :)

I have never thought about what I was going to draw prior to the sketching process. Taking my pencil and paper then it gradually takes on a form of its own. It's difficult to explain even though abstraction has been my focus point for many years now; always feel I can express myself with this style of art. My creations mean a whole lot to me and the feedback I receive from others helps to expand my inspiration. Billy (Eradicatus) hun, you were the first to put my drawings in a unique perspective and seeing things in them that are significant :). I think in many ways my emotions, thoughts and subconscious play a role in my drawings. Recently, attempting to put together a very special drawing with great meaning and significance fell flat at times with much frustration. Admittedly, after some time I wondered if ever it was going to be started and what was I doing wrong?. Surprisingly, one day I started drawing what I expected to be no more than just lines all over the place; formed into what I had been meaning to put together several months before. This is an example of when my drawings take a form of its own without myself really thinking about it. However, my subconscious I believe plays large role in the drawing process leading to its completion.
obnoxion wrote: I've been reading the partially autobiographical book on C. G. Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", and if i remember correctly, i think he said something like modern art has become very much about the contents of subconscious.

This got me thinking, what then is the difference between modern and "pre-modern" art. As i see it, the older art almost exclusevely draws its themes from religion, which Jung does consider the field of collective subconscious par excellence.

To me it seems that if there is a major change between modern art and all the older, it could be in the discipline of the technique. Or it might be that the individual experience is stressed over the collective or cultural perspective. And then again, i think that at least surrealism did draw major inspiration from the so-called primitive themes of man's collective psychic layers.

I am familiar with some of C.G. Jung's work, will have to read more on this subject matter. The older art forms especially coming out of the Classical/Augustan Era, wanted artists to "repeat the old" because the classics were great and perfect, so it should be referenced as much as possible. As time went on, the new age of art and creativity started to emerge and it was rather shocking. People at certain ballets and art exhibitions started to protest at the time due to these creations. As for the difference between modern and pre-modern, that's a very good question! I am guessing similarly to what you said in terms of artists in the pre-modern painting churchyards, countryside scenery, etc. The subconscious I believe provides for a lot of inspiration within us, even when we are not aware.