What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Kavi

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Kavi »

Mars wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:01 pm
Kenazis wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:14 amAnd this is some new pretty good record find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cijd4ty0ocM&t=1142s recommendations for people who are looking Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane stylish music, or are like the "swedish bm-sound" (Dark Funeral, Naglfar, Unanimated etc).
There's nothing wrong in taking influences but aesthetically this is too on the nose for my liking. I have a theory that usually, or at least often, borderline copycat approach to aesthetics means unimaginative music, and so it seems to be here. But I was once a huge Dissection fan, both old and Reinkaos, so maybe I'm biased.
I guess you are onto something here. I dislike Dissection and can't understand Reinkaos at all but to me the link posted was quite alright.
I can handle Bathory, but never understood early black metal music - yet I like Darkthrone which basically made some music with initially plain Bathory riffs. I don't know what is the logic behind this but my preferences tend to always gravitate like this.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Mars wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:01 pm
Kenazis wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:14 amAnd this is some new pretty good record find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cijd4ty0ocM&t=1142s recommendations for people who are looking Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane stylish music, or are like the "swedish bm-sound" (Dark Funeral, Naglfar, Unanimated etc).
There's nothing wrong in taking influences but aesthetically this is too on the nose for my liking. I have a theory that usually, or at least often, borderline copycat approach to aesthetics means unimaginative music, and so it seems to be here. But I was once a huge Dissection fan, both old and Reinkaos, so maybe I'm biased.
Artwork of this album is too much copycatting for my taste also, but when I got over that, the music itself is pretty good quality and not too rip off. I've always been huge Dissection fan, both old and Reinkaos, check. Question about the copying/being inspired in a good way and "stealing" and ripping off is something I have been thinking lot lately. Days back I was pretty much against every ways of copying, but today I have been slightly more accepting with this. Reason is mainly the impossibility to do really anything completely new with black metal or death metal. The simpler the building blocks, the more you will copy if there's thousands of bands already. To make Necrophagist-style record you must be extremely skilled musician and composer, but to do Darkthrone-style record...it is pretty easy to copy the style even minimal playing skills. That's why there's no single band that sounds like Necrophagist, but thousands of bands that sound somewhat like Darkthrone. If your tools are tremolo picking and blast beat, options are not vast.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Fully agreeing with Kenazis.
This is also why I don't prefer arbitrary technicality vs musicality discussions because technicality akin to Necrophagist utilize skill and methods to express something.

Nowadays I can't stand Necrophagist or technical death metal in general.
Yet I also agree that technicality - skillful tools to express ideas itself is not enough and taste and worldview/philosophy might also add something to it.
Yet I think technicality might have it's own - let me say abstract categorizations that are needed to be able to express and differentiate things, like in philosophy one has lot of concepts and categorizations - not just to make abstract acrobatics but to say exactly and accurately what one might think of.

Copying and ripping off is good way to practice making songs too.
Fortunately or unfortunately some classic riffs might become canonized at least in the way that they might become a form of "idea bank" which you can cite and refer to when making own music.
I might have too academic approach to music and sometimes I just want to loosen up and try forgetting this way of thinking and just think about "what kind of mood or feeling or idea I want to express - what is it's message?"
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Kavi wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:55 pm The song had other nice elements that I liked although melodic metal usually isn't for me.
I like some melodic metal, but I'm very picky with it. For example only tree genres are absolute interest killers, melodic death metal, finnish hip hop and reggae. If I try somehow comprehend and explain my attitude, it goes something like this: in metal melodies should be done with electric guitars, or if keyboards, then keyboards should be the main instrument in band (Limbonic Art, Summoning etc.) Some bands have done the mixture of keyboards and guitars in such way that the mood and intensity doesn't change into lameness, but these are rare (Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse and Luciferion - Apostate, only death metal band I know that have used keyboards lot and haven't lost the brutality).
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
lux ferre

Post by lux ferre »

I lissend middle of night Black crusifiction scandinavian melacohy this Song IS like ewery Finnish music pure melancoly there IS some spiritualy i dont no why but i recommend this All of you second one IS Gorgoroth sing of open eye

https://youtu.be/O4nE0PLujTE

https://youtu.be/73Za2PVVDcI
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Obsessed with Nina Hagen and Klaus Nomi this past week. I guess I'm just really feeling the eccentric operatic Germans 8-)

I'm really enjoying this Black Crucifixion you suggested, lux ferre. The piano is simple, but dances across the air in such a way it seems to swirl around me. I don't know if they did something with the sounds to make this effect deliberate, or if I'm just really tired because it's way past my bedtime.

I've also been revisiting this album lately, which I think is a masterpiece, but disregard if you're feeling disenchanted by death metal: Disincarnate-Dreams of the Carrion Kind
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Polyhymnia wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:41 amNina Hagen
When I was a young art student, I met an older weirdo, who decided we'd be friends. So we went to his place, smoked hash, and then he put on Nunsexmonkrock, on vinyl. I ordered the cd at the local record store and then made everyone hear it at the parties (which were three nights a week). Now I'm an old weirdo, and weirdos like Nina Hagen are kind of like saints to me.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Benemal wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:48 pm Now I'm an old weirdo, and weirdos like Nina Hagen are kind of like saints to me.
I feel similarly. I'll watch a performance of hers and think, "mankind doesn't deserve you, sweet angel."

This has been my theme song this week since it's finals week at school and I need the heavy metal to keep me going: Savatage-Hall of the Mountain King

Now accepting submissions for "Polyhymnia's finals week heavy metal 4 sanity extravaganza."
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Mars

Post by Mars »

Polyhymnia wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:46 pmNow accepting submissions for "Polyhymnia's finals week heavy metal 4 sanity extravaganza."
My suggestion: Atlantean Kodex - Sol Invictus
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Mars wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:09 am
My suggestion: Atlantean Kodex - Sol Invictus
Excellent suggestion! I love this band and am particularly partial to The Golden Bough

**Edited to say the guitars in Sol Invictus fill me with pure LIFE.