Meditation on the Names of God

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Angolmois

Meditation on the Names of God

Post by Angolmois »

I read about the manifold different names of Odin and started to think that many aspects of him are exoteric masks behind which the his true nature lies, very similar to the masks of Satan. There is for example the name The Ancient One, which right away called to my mind The Ancient of Days / Melchizedek / Sanat Kumara. In Islam there is also the 99 names of Allah that describe his different aspects. I thought to start some form of contemplation of these names of Odin in the near future to try to shed some light on his different aspects and names.

Have you ever contemplated for example the different aspects of Satan or some other divinity in this way and/or do you consider it a useful practice?
Nefastos

Re: Meditation on the Names of God

Post by Nefastos »

I think that this idea, when meditated carefully, would create a very good occult practice. For example in this way:

Taking some period of time, say, one day for each pearl in the rosary. In every day, think about the name for the divine presence in question. Go through some chosen period of time (in the rosary example it would take me 55 days) and thus create a beautiful loop of divine characteristics as schemhamforash.

(In India, there already exist these kind of lists. Some months ago I made my way end to going through the thousand names of the Goddess, installed into my Rosary practice one per day; it took me 3½ years. Now I am going through the names of Shiva in a similar fashion. I have used the lists from Lalita Sahasranama for Devî, and from Linga Purana for Shiva.)

A bit less time consuming and more philosophical, but equally important practice would be to take one's religious/spiritual divine beings that seem to share the meaning, and think about what is the thread that goes through these similar and yet a bit differently aspected names. E.g. Satan, Lucifer, Azazel, Mephisto(pheles), Diabolos, Devil, Tempter; or Jesus, Christ, Messiah, Saviour, Redeemer, Son of God, Son of Man.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Nefastos wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:08 am Taking some period of time, say, one day for each pearl in the rosary. In every day, think about the name for the divine presence in question. Go through some chosen period of time (in the rosary example it would take me 55 days) and thus create a beautiful loop of divine characteristics as schemhamforash.
Would you deem it unwise or confusing to take up the rosary practice so that one would resitate one divine name or characteristic per pearl and go through this kind of practice a few times a day for some time?
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Rúnatýr wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 pmWould you deem it unwise or confusing to take up the rosary practice so that one would resitate one divine name or characteristic per pearl and go through this kind of practice a few times a day for some time?

Yes, because it is too intense. Festina lente is almost always better, there are but few exceptions.

Dale Cooper wrote:Every day, once a day, give yourself a present.

Be it a cup of joe or some other joy, like a name of God.

My thoughts only, naturally, but in this case I am pretty certain. This is because my own temperament is airy & quick, so it would be easier to move very quickly also in esoteric practice. Long experience has shown, however, that the quickest route is almost always not only the slowest in the long run, but it most likely leads downwards unnoticeably.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Nefastos wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:50 am
Rúnatýr wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 pmWould you deem it unwise or confusing to take up the rosary practice so that one would resitate one divine name or characteristic per pearl and go through this kind of practice a few times a day for some time?

Yes, because it is too intense. Festina lente is almost always better, there are but few exceptions.
This is what I thought, and the aspects can get confused in the mind if resitated this way. This "festina lente" attitude has been on my mind quite a lot lately.