Creating your own spiritual guidelines

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Aquila

Creating your own spiritual guidelines

Post by Aquila »

I thought I'd share a kind of practice I've been doing lately. Maybe someone else has already done something similar?

Most of my life I haven't really cared about any guidelines and I have mostly leaned on intuition and certain ethical basis. Now as I am coming closer to the end of átmic period (ages 28 - 35) and the age of 33 is coming to its end I have found it valuable to write down some thoughts to remind myself of certain personal spiritual guidelines. Intuition is helpful but can easily be taken into trivial things, like what should I eat today or should I walk this road or the other, which can be a crucial part in learning to follow your intuition and separating it from the instincts but is not really so much about the spiritual guidance which it will later become (if not already).

The basis of the practice is about the idea that we are guided by our Azazel-Ego and making clearer what is beneficial to ourselves and what can cause harm and hinder ourselves on the path at the moment.
First of all, the guidelines should not be too general though they can be very simple. Something like "love everyone like yourself" would be too generic and wouldn't have much practical help.

Second thing is that these guidelines shouldn't just be written down instantly but one should live life consciously, realizing what are the most crucial lessons to learn these days and where lie the most often faced pitfalls. To write down some "rules" instantly could easily result in following guidelines that are not really tested and realized to be true but just blindly trying to fit oneself into too narrow spiritual space which does not allow much growth. Live first and learn yourself to know what you need and what you need to avoid. This is also why this practice will probably be of most value to those who have already passed the buddhic age where the goals are different and the emphasis on how the spiritual view is developing is based on less átmic influence. Of course, these are very rough outlines but if you don't find such practice valuable you probably should not be doing it.

I will give some examples how I have proceeded and what kind of guidelines I have written down and some explanations to rule out the possible misunderstandings.

1. Accept that the Master might speak to you through other people who are mostly not aware of it.

There are situation where I easily slip into some of my erroneus behaviors but sometimes someone around me might say something that reminds me of the higher ideals and prevents me of wasting my time and energy, and thus the energy within does not flow into lower emanations but there is a change to use it elsewhere. This is mostly in cases where there is clearly some synchronicism around and the message is clear. Not all words are the words of the Masters. Yet this part of my personal guidelines is based on the idea of oneness and that we all share the same origins and spirit. Also the buddhist practice of seeing everyone else as enlightened beings comes to mind but only in such clearer cases and not constantly.

2. Learn when to restrict yourself and when to allow yourself something.

This is quite clear I guess but it is of huge importance for me to remember. There are times when I can do things more freely and relax a bit and times when it is not allowed and the concentration has to be in something else, e.g. in certain spiritually ascending practices and thoughts, or whatever work at hand. If not followed, usually some frustration and feelings of meaninglessness will appear.

Like I said, these are only examples and other people might have completely different issues at hand. I will probably write 3 - 7 guidelines in total for the times ahead which will make it easier to remember these things when challenges appear. I don't expect anyone to join in this practice or write their personal guidelines here but anyone willing to do so is welcome! :) Also, feel free to share other thoughts concerning similar ideas if you will.
Cerastes

Re: Creating your own spiritual guidelines

Post by Cerastes »

Personally, I find such things very important, because in the flood of external and internal information it is often hard not to lose sight of the important parts. I am not very good at following guidelines and I tend to question everything again and again. Especially when it comes to collective guidelines that are not individually justifiable, it might be problematic.
Therefore, it makes sense to create a solid framework based on individual thoughts, so I will join in.
I don't know whether I will share my guidlines later or not. I will share them if they don't sound stupid since I'm trying to look smart here. 8-)
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Nice! Some guidelines and observations are so personal that probably they don't make sense to others and I excluded some of them from the public eye. Those that I mentioned as examples probably don't deliver all the personal meanings and reasonings behind them but they are easy to understand. These will also evolve all the time so some guidelines might feel outdated within certain timeframe.
Heith

Post by Heith »

I think this is a good idea. I've nothing more to add at the moment, but it's really nice that people are sharing their useful work. Thank you.