Mundane rituals

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Polyhymnia

Re: Mundane rituals

Post by Polyhymnia »

Boreas wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:42 am There is no "ordinary life", everything is permeated by the sacred. Everything is ritual or at least can be made to be so.

"Let thy every deed be an act of magic." - Aleister Crowley
I think I struggle with this very much. That cohesion of the mundane and the sacred doesn't yet come organically for me. I think this inability to merge the two successfully might be the cause of some serious burnout on either side.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Polyhymnia wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:58 pm That cohesion of the mundane and the sacred doesn't yet come organically for me.
I have seasons, when the mundane and the sacred/magic merge quite fluently/organically. Then there are times, when a more mundane setting kicks in. So I can surely relate to this uneasyness you mentioned. But - what's there to do then, than to exam that "gap between the worlds" through the eyes of one's soul. (And see - once again - that such gap doesn't exist.)

Once the lanquage of the spirit was widely know, we had spiritual tools to use in everyday life. These tools were buried with the keepers of the traditions, as they were prayed and killed as "heretics" and "pagans". (In a way, we are all subjects to cultural imperialism.) The good news is, that nothing is really lost. The lanquage and the tools are there/here waiting for us. All one has to do, is to consult her/himself (and the limitless, ageless wisdom which has cumulated into our beings). This being said... I still 'miss' my ancestors, amidst the earthly shadows I long for the divine. This longing is the driving force of the integration work. "He who knocks, we'll be let in."
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Ave wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:50 pm But - what's there to do then, than to exam that "gap between the worlds" through the eyes of one's soul. (And see - once again - that such gap doesn't exist.)
I agree. Very much so. After my last bout of darkness I turned away from my spirit when I should have turned within and gone even deeper. The idea of the gap might just be where I'm going wrong. Time to attempt to abolish that construct.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Polyhymnia wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:58 pm
Boreas wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:42 am There is no "ordinary life", everything is permeated by the sacred. Everything is ritual or at least can be made to be so.

"Let thy every deed be an act of magic." - Aleister Crowley
I think I struggle with this very much. That cohesion of the mundane and the sacred doesn't yet come organically for me. I think this inability to merge the two successfully might be the cause of some serious burnout on either side.
I understand this very well. After all, we live in a profaned civilization that is built upon a systematic denial of the sacred dimension of life. I'm not going to claim either that I always sense the sacred, all I can say that I have an intuitive grasp that it is always there. Sometimes I feel like I'm doomed to profanity, especially when I'm in contact with urban city life. In ritual work or while in a deep forest / natural surroundings I can feel the sacred dimension more deeply, and that is the reason i try to live as "ritualistically" as possible even in mundane surroundings. Thank God I don't have to work in some shallow mechanistic job, it would kill me.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Boreas wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 pm Sometimes I feel like I'm doomed to profanity, especially when I'm in contact with urban city life. In ritual work or while in a deep forest / natural surroundings I can feel the sacred dimension more deeply, and that is the reason i try to live as "ritualistically" as possible even in mundane surroundings.
Yes! I find city life very stressful on my personal sacred dimension. Cars, the fast pace, people being unfriendly to each other. It wasn't until I joined the brotherhood that I realized my spirit was missing that communion with nature. Once that piece clicked, I created a beautiful little garden space, and have tried every day to incorporate the holiness of nature into my every day. I literally felt as though I was being reborn. I've lived in the city for two decades, but grew up in the country side. I can't believe how buried I became over those two decades, and I couldn't even figure out why!