Perfumes, incenses, scents

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Mimesis

Re: Perfumes, incenses, scents

Post by Mimesis »

Kavi wrote:
I can't really say that I experience synesthesia as I don't see heard music as colors, but these colors helped me out in the youth when I learnt the correct musical notes. Even nowadays I associate the notes with colors so I believe the colors helped me to memorize things, but the problem is that it doesn't really fit the color spectre or system of Theosophy's. :D
For example C for me is yellow, where as D is orange and E is red.
If we consider the broadest idea of synesthesia, then I would absolutely say you experience it with what you say of how you associate tones with colour. Particularly regarding its place with cognitive memory. And the photisms that you experience being different to those outlined by Theosophic thought does not in any way invalidate your own : ) These are abstract inner maps.

I wonder, does your experience of associating tones so specifically to colour give you perfect, or at least very good pitch recognition?

Interestingly, in relation to synesthesia and this thread, I think that the impetus of scent as a trigger for memory, feeling, thought, synesthesiastic experience etc is one of the least explored senses of the 80+ variants of synesthesia proposed.
Kavi wrote:
Also as Nayana, I can usually "see" structures in connection with music. But for me emotions are actual places with colors. Musical mode system in arabic music is called "maqam" (station, place, location) so I could imagine that there is somekind of connection. Placing of notes and intervals and building up of certain mode or "mood".
Interesting to mention this. Similarly, the seven predominant ancient Greek modes, which still largely form the tonal structure of Western music today, are named after the locations which first developed their character. And 'Ethos' was applied to their rhythmic, melodic, harmonic and really every musical concept, meaning that everything had a deeper meaning and function other than just sonic expression. They were used to convey, take on and even create certain emotional and mental states.
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
gryning

Post by gryning »

So glad a topic about this finally came to life!

Both inscense and perfume are important tools in my life to both give the enviorment and myself a certain feeling.

With incense its mostly to correspond to a certain deity, regarding of what is known about her.

With smells. It can sometimes be Interesting gateways to things in both ourselves and to something unknown.

Some favorites i often use in rituals are Frankincense, myrrh, pathouli, Palo santo and vanilla. The smell or wormwood is one that is used in special occasions. Mostly because the smell is reminding me of crypts.
“The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..” - Milton, Paradise Lost
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nice to see you on the forum again gryning!
gryning wrote:So glad a topic about this finally came to life!

---
With incense its mostly to correspond to a certain deity, regarding of what is known about her.
Indeed, this topic is kind of "obvious" but for some reason we hadn't yet one. Perhaps because it is so obvious one doesn't even think about it.

Would you like to tell about this connection you mention between a certain deity and incense? I'm interested because, in the Star of Azazel, we have certain rituals per day, which connect to that day's celestial rule; so planetary connection, or a deity (either as an idea, or actuality, depending of how one approaches it), so perhaps this incense connection would help to broaden that kind of working?
gryning wrote:Some favorites i often use in rituals are Frankincense, myrrh, pathouli, Palo santo and vanilla. The smell or wormwood is one that is used in special occasions. Mostly because the smell is reminding me of crypts.
I have been a little bit apprehensive to do any death related working for several months now as the results and "demands" are so overwhelming; by this I mean that for some reason this kind of working sucks the life out of me (pun half unintended but here we go), and I find it difficult to do them in a small scale. I don't know if such is the case for everyone or if particularly this field I've a certain natural ability (as compared to for example in tarot readings I'm rubbish). But when/if I do necromancy-related work next time, I have in mind to test this with something that reminds me of the smell of a grave or a crypt. To see how that may affect the experience or result.
gryning

Post by gryning »

Thanks Heith! Appreciate the welcome.

In my point of view, scents are mostly personal and something to contribute to the experience and relation to a certain deity.

Vanilla and frankincense for example, is something i give as a gift to Lucifer and at the same time as a vessel to something in myself.

As for incense in necromancy, like wormwood, Datura and so on. For me the use is mainly to provoke a sensation in my mind, something of the life after this. But also in respect for the spirits in order to give something back.

The crypt smell is personal to me. A scent that triggers feelings i like to encounter to learn from. Like a pathway.

The scents i mostly use in my daily working are
Myrrh, patchouli, Palo santo, frankincense, wormwood, chili, vanilla, black pepper, cinnamon.

As mention before. Dont think its a certainrule of thumb for this. Mostly recomendations
“The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..” - Milton, Paradise Lost
Heith

Post by Heith »

gryning wrote:
As mention before. Dont think its a certainrule of thumb for this. Mostly recomendations
Of course, but these can still open doors. For example, the connection you make between vanilla and Lucifer makes sense to me. Palo Santo, I love to use on almost all occasions. I notice it has quite positive effect on me.

Do you grow or gather some of these plants that you use, or do you order them from a specific place?
gryning

Post by gryning »

Palo santo smells wonderful. It reminds me a bit of vanilla, guess it would be very useful in connection to father satan :)

Glad others also experience that smell can have such strong effects during rituals. I guess its a reason it has been used ritually during so long time.

I grow some of them myself. Datura, chili, wormwood and some others.

A scent that also have something personal for me is pine resin. Always loved that smell.

Its a special feeling to use the ones that I have a closer relationship with. The myrrh and frankincense is bought.
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Omoksha wrote: If we consider the broadest idea of synesthesia, then I would absolutely say you experience it with what you say of how you associate tones with colour. Particularly regarding its place with cognitive memory. And the photisms that you experience being different to those outlined by Theosophic thought does not in any way invalidate your own : ) These are abstract inner maps.

I wonder, does your experience of associating tones so specifically to colour give you perfect, or at least very good pitch recognition?

Interestingly, in relation to synesthesia and this thread, I think that the impetus of scent as a trigger for memory, feeling, thought, synesthesiastic experience etc is one of the least explored senses of the 80+ variants of synesthesia proposed.
I have been used to think similar to this!

I am not blessed/cursed with perfect pitch, but I have tried to become good in recognition of intervals. Mostly I am assuming that type of synesthesia, which I am experiencing, is due to impairment in other fields of learning or in cognition, so synesthesia helps me to memorize things. For example I trust my memory in music more than I trust reading the notes as I never learned to read them fast.
But I have thought about hypothesis: if I color the notes with certain color, would my note reading skills increase in speed or what happens. I have to try this out! :D

Omoksha wrote: Interesting to mention this. Similarly, the seven predominant ancient Greek modes, which still largely form the tonal structure of Western music today, are named after the locations which first developed their character. And 'Ethos' was applied to their rhythmic, melodic, harmonic and really every musical concept, meaning that everything had a deeper meaning and function other than just sonic expression. They were used to convey, take on and even create certain emotional and mental states.
Indeed! I left out ancient Greek modes from my reply, so that someone of you might bring this up! I think there is certain connection between Greek modes and arabic and persian modes. Both traditions use scales constructed from two tetrachords. "Ethos" and "Harmony of Spheres" is really interesting, I wish there would be more discussion about these themes. :)
Mimesis

Post by Mimesis »

Kavi wrote:
For example I trust my memory in music more than I trust reading the notes as I never learned to read them fast.
But I have thought about hypothesis: if I color the notes with certain color, would my note reading skills increase in speed or what happens. I have to try this out! :D
I would be very interested to hear of your results if you do embark on this experiment! I have exactly the same experience, in that my ability to sight read music is very poor and slow. I had never considered this a victim of association though. It is quite fascinating to think of how different this could have been if learning with knowledge and a view toward synesthesia.

Kavi wrote:
I think there is certain connection between Greek modes and arabic and persian modes. Both traditions use scales constructed from two tetrachords.
Interesting; whilst I cannot claim much, if any knowledge of Arabic and Persian modes, and admittedly with the following I speak of rhythmic ‘modes’ rather than melodic or harmonic, I once loosely studied the Ottomanic rhythmic system of the Usul, and related it to perhaps the closest ‘contemporary’, relatively speaking, example of rhythmic and metric modes being used in a way similar to that of the Greeks in antiquity.

However, like the Indian Tala, these rhythmic modes are more like foundations for mapping out the route of melody and harmony, by way of the Makam and Raga in these respective examples.
But in Greek rhythm and metre, I think it far more predominant and self sufficient, and very much in league with the theory of ethos, widely speaking as well as musically. Each mode, whether it relate rhythmically, melodically, harmonically or holistically, was there to directly serve verse. It therefore communicated the words of that verse in direct unison, but also separately communicated the theory of ethos by the moral, ethical and religious connotations given to each mode in isolation.

I see that this strain of discussion has deviated very much from that of scent, sorry! But perhaps not so much when considering how holistic and all encompassing the theory of ethos was/is with all manner of human experience and subsequently expression.

Kavi wrote:
"Ethos" and "Harmony of Spheres" is really interesting, I wish there would be more discussion about these themes. :)
I would very gladly discuss both, but lets not deviate this thread even more : )
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

I've become almost too fond of incense, but now I have had to stop using them because my neighbors have complained that the smell have reached the corridors and it bothers them. Maybe it is a synchronicity with the great fast, so I have to follow the dry way from now on if I don't want to be kicked out of my apartment.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Boreas wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:53 am I've become almost too fond of incense, but now I have had to stop using them because my neighbors have complained that the smell have reached the corridors and it bothers them.
Incense smell can trigger a severe migraine attack. And as half of my family suffer from migraine, I, too, had to stop my constant incense burning altogether. My sense of smell is quite dull so I love strong scents, but I love my family more.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.