Perfumes, incenses, scents

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Mars

Re: Perfumes, incenses, scents

Post by Mars »

Boreas wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:53 am I've become almost too fond of incense, but now I have had to stop using them because my neighbors have complained that the smell have reached the corridors and it bothers them.
Are you my neighbour? Because I believe in our building we have freshly begun to suffer from this. Though, as far as I know, in a true Finnish fashion no one has confronted the culprit. We suffer in silence, gnashing our teeth.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Obnoxion, you are right about the migraine. Recently I have had the tendency to burn incence from morning to night, all Day long, Sometimes even two at a time, so I don't really Wonder why it has become an issue for my neighbours.
Mars wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 amAre you my neighbour? Because I believe in our building we have freshly begun to suffer from this. Though, as far as I know, in a true Finnish fashion no one has confronted the culprit. We suffer in silence, gnashing our teeth.
You can choose from these options:

1. Yes, we are close neighbours.

2. No, but the incence smoke is still coming from my apartment.
Mars

Post by Mars »

I seem to recall from your introduction that you don't live in Helsinki, so most likely we're not neighbours. The second option sounds like a premise to an H. P. Lovecraft story. Unfortunately I think that we'll have to settle for the most likely explanation; that there are, in fact, multiple people burning incense in Finland.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Mars wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:58 pmUnfortunately I think that we'll have to settle for the most likely explanation; that there are, in fact, multiple people burning incense in Finland.

Preposterous. Are you an enemy of magical thinking??

Joking aside, I use this possibility to thank Viides Askel for bringing easily attainable great Tibetan incenses (no, I'm not getting money from that). Usual Indian bazaars get quite costly if you shop only them, and the quality is not as superb.

I know people to whom careful arrangement of occultly corresponding ingredients is close to a sacred practice, and I have a great respect for them; but this is one of those things where I usually just go with the flow. Personally I'm fondest of simple sandalwood.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I burn alot of sandalwood incense, myself, and tend to stay away from the very heavily perfumed ones. I use a low smoke incense made in Japan since I have both allergies and asthma, but scent, smoke, and ritual are synonymous in my world.
I burn alot of herbs, too, and take great pleasure out of finding their occult correspondence. I also delight in making anointing oils and blending both herbs and essential oils and applying it to my pulse points over the course of the day is one way I keep the ritual within the mundanity. I've very recently become interested in perfume, but I must proceed with caution since I usually find perfumes quite offensive. Maybe i've been trapped in one too many elevators with middle aged women who drench themselves in White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran