Your favourite planetary hymn (from Fosforos)

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.

Favourite planetary hymn

Hymn to the Great Mother (Moon, Monday)
17%
Hymn to the Living Vine (Mars, Tuesday)
17%
Hymn to the Messenger of the Gods (Mercury, Wednesday)
No votes
Hymn to the Lord of the Throne (Jupiter, Thursday)
17%
Hymn to the Son of Dawn (Venus, Friday)
50%
Hymn to the Master of Death (Saturn, Saturday)
No votes
Hymn to the Prince of the Countenances (Sun, Sunday)
No votes

Total votes: 6
Abhavani

Re: Your favourite planetary hymn (from Fosforos)

Post by Abhavani »

Nefastos wrote:
Heith wrote:Sunday is the hardest. Sunday I dislike, and the planetary correspondence as well, and the color. I am almost at war with Sunday!

At first there was no Hymn for Sunday. In the first editions of the Legifer & Clavis Magica, there were invocations for only six of the archetypes, the Sun omitted because the work was focused on Lefth Hand Path, the Moon Path. Sun is also the hardest one of the seven, since it is in the center of the hexagram of the other planets, and is part of all the others. Every possible problem of every other planets is magnified by Sun; it really is that "he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good" (Matthew 5:45). This also is the Satanic aspect of Sun, that it really makes all things possible, not just good things. Sun is not a just ruler like Jupiter, but a mad emperor, who is omnipotent but not omniscient. It is the definite power aspect, a great dynamo. I really used to loath Sun when I was young.
I remember from 2005 edition that sunday didn't have a hymn, so it was something that really catched my attention when I read the updated L&CM the first time. Sun is indeed a merciless tyrant, reveals everything and kills all possibility for mystery and inspiration. So a very satanic force to be reckoned with, so I'm happy it has a hymn now too.

I also loathed bright sunlight when I was young, and still do most of the time. But I've turned things around also; when I was in Nicaragua couple of years ago, I spent long perioids of time meditating directly under the sun. Staring towards the sun through closed eyelids and without the use of sunscreen letting the sunrays sting my skin like needles, while contemplating on sun as Sorath. It was a very powerful little practice.
Thelithiz

Post by Thelithiz »

At first sight I liked most the Mars and Saturn. But now they all feel so personally familiar that I really cannot say.
Heith

Post by Heith »

After some consideration I let my vote lie for Venus. It is very beautiful text, today is Friday so it is fresh in my mind. And it also always makes me think of Nefastos so a positive connection.

With that said I also like Saturn, and the Moon. Sun can go to hell for all I care :D
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

Heith wrote: Sun can go to hell for all I care :D
Concerning this, we truly represent the two opposite ends of the Red spectrum, due to my adoration of the Sun.
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Invitus

Post by Invitus »

Moon, Venus and Saturn are close to my heart. My vote I seem to have given to Venus, for some intuitive reason unknown. Or maybe due to the fact that I embrace the saturnian currents more than probably is good for me, and the moon sways' me ever so violently back and forth in a torrent of emotions too brutal to handle. Out of these three Venus is probably the most stable.

The sun and can go to hell for all I care (and it seems I'm not alone with this). Mercury and Mars are reflections of my shadowy side, and difficult to work with. Difficulty not excluding the potential!
"And so he who looks down at his feet will not know the truth, but he who discerns by the sun which way to go." -Tolstoi
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

My favorites are probably Mars and Jupiter. In Mars I find certain kind of relief and Jupiter is the most strengthening of the hymns. I struggle most with understanding Saturn but I think I'm advancing with small steps. Other four are more neutral to me; Moon being one that is closest to Earth and thus probably easy to approach but more challenging in it's shadow aspects; Sun, I feel, is very benevolent but somehow "all over the place"; Mercury and Venus I find forming a pair that I try to approach as one - this approach could also be an advantage in understanding Sun and Moon together as both of them might get more problematic if they turn into the one eye above all, be it in negative or positive sense.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I remember stumbling upon this thread when I first started exploring the forums and thinking, "what on earth are they talking about?" And now I'm delighted to be able to participate in the conversation. Growth!

Venus is the one I look forward to the most. When I recite it, all the hairs on my body stand on end, and I feel very complete. Saturn and the Moon also have this effect on me. Jupiter is probably the one I see popping up the most in my day to day activities (mostly imagery making its way into my life), but the Sun is the one with which I feel the most connected. I see it as both the end and start to my week, and from it I draw much strength. My emotions always tend to be a little lower on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, for whatever reason, so Mars and Mercury are sometimes difficult for me. I truly love them all though. My life has definitely changed since incorporating them into my daily ritual practices.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

Mars, Mars, Mars, Saturn (with special focus on the first three planets of this list)
Polyhymnia wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:59 pm I remember stumbling upon this thread when I first started exploring the forums and thinking, "what on earth are they talking about?" And now I'm delighted to be able to participate in the conversation. Growth!
I had a lot of problems with understanding the topics and comments too. I know about psychology but my knowlege on occult or in particular theosophical literature is really not that good. In addition those Finns have a really complex vocuabulary and google was my friend at the beginning.
I bet, a lot of people who read this forum have this fear that they are probably not educated enough to write something meaningful. I'm still not entirely sure if my comments make sense but I decided not to care. 8-)
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Cerastes wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 pm I had a lot of problems with understanding the topics and comments too. I know about psychology but my knowlege on occult or in particular theosophical literature is really not that good. In addition those Finns have a really complex vocuabulary and google was my friend at the beginning.
I bet, a lot of people who read this forum have this fear that they are probably not educated enough to write something meaningful. I'm still not entirely sure if my comments make sense but I decided not to care. 8-)
Hahaha yes! I had alot of hesitation at first. I was afraid I would sound stupid, and I probably do sometimes, but I feel safe here to expose those vulnerabilities and so far my brothers and sisters have never made me feel as stupid as I often make myself feel.

It's interesting that you say Mars several times. You very much strike me as one with alot of Mars energy. And I mean that in the best way possible.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Cerastes wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 pmMars, Mars, Mars, Saturn

That's a pretty Satanistic emphasis there! :)
Polyhymnia wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:24 pmIt's interesting that you say Mars several times. You very much strike me as one with alot of Mars energy. And I mean that in the best way possible.

Isn't that also how the superlative in Sanskrit grammar works? Mars-Mars would be comparative "more Martian" and Mars-Mars-Mars "the most Martian".

It has been interesting to note that as my own work has focused more onto the "male" pole of the White work (Jupiter) from its "female" pole (Venus), I have got more & more inspiration and joy reciting the Thursday's Hymn to the Lord of the Throne, while my earlier affectionate love to Fridays and to their Hymn to the Son of Dawn has been lessened. Now there's nothing mystical in this, but it is nice to see that the sympathy seems to be less about the wordings and more about the actual invoked archetypal energy. This is as it should be.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"