Minor Arcana of the Star of Azazel Tarot

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Nefastos

Minor Arcana of the Star of Azazel Tarot

Post by Nefastos »

Some years ago I made this rudimentary form of the Star of Azazel Minor Arcana tarots. Since then I have not worked so much with the tarot, so this work has not been tested nor has it proceeded. But since I like the idea of the Minor Arcana with names, I would like to give these alpha names for you, if someone is interested on this kind of working. I'm afraid I can't answer very well to any questions about the names however. But comments are welcome, as are results, if someone would like to experiment.

At least in this alpha version the pages/princesses got names, but the knights, queens or kings did not. I think that they will in the final version, but in some more bizarre way: perhaps as the names adopted from some demons, spirits, archetypes, divinities, celestial signs, creatures or planes. I have to think that out.

MINOR ARCANA OF THE STAR OF AZAZEL

STAVES
I Tree of Life
II Wounded Healer
III Brotherhood
IV By the Brook
V Trial by Fire
VI Garden
VII Independence
VIII Bridge at the Mountain [EDIT: in the Mountain]
IX Harness
X Iron Hook
XI Messenger

CUPS
I Fulfillment
II Joy
III Prosperity
IV Fleeting Joy
V Disappointment
VI Well of Memories
VII Harlot
VIII Wandering
IX Luck
X Bounty
XI Poet

SWORDS
I Pride
II Concord
III Grief
IV Coffin
V Loss
VI Succesful Journey
VII Impatience
VIII Shackle
IX Despair
X Ruin
XI Squire

COINS
I Opulence
II Bardo
III Diadem
IV Earned Sceptre
V Drained Fount
VI Grace
VII Bitterness
VIII Golden Circle
IX Castle
X Treasure Chest
XI Flag-Bearer
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
RaktaZoci

Re: Minor Arcana of the Star of Azazel Tarot

Post by RaktaZoci »

What an interesting initiative. Can't wait to get visuals for these (possibly the artists we have amongst us could help..?) and the Major Arcana of course too.
How do you manage this all, I wonder? :)
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

So I went ahead and published my Tarot book in my Polaris blog. The Major Arcana was first designed to be a SoA tarot.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Boreas wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:32 pm So I went ahead and published my Tarot book in my Polaris blog. The Major Arcana was first designed to be a SoA tarot.
I remember when you were creating these beautiful cards, and how bunch of us discussed the symbolism together. I still think that the deck is magnificent. Although there are little things I miss, like the vulture feather in the "Justice" card.

I own this deck in laminated prints. And I also own two of the original drawings for the cards that I bought from you ("Voima" and "Rakastavaiset"). They are my treasures, and I will not part with them.

By the way, I would love to see you draw the minor arcana with fra Nefastos' plan above. And I would especially love to discuss their symbolism in a group with you and others while you make them! You know, like in the good ol' days...
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

obnoxion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:53 pm I remember when you were creating these beautiful cards, and how bunch of us discussed the symbolism together.
All honor of the gematric thoughts in those descriptions of the cards belongs solely to you!
obnoxion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:53 pmI own this deck in laminated prints. And I also own two of the original drawings for the cards that I bought from you ("Voima" and "Rakastavaiset"). They are my treasures, and I will not part with them.
Good to hear you still own and treasure them!
obnoxion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:53 pmBy the way, I would love to see you draw the minor arcana with fra Nefastos' plan above. And I would especially love to discuss their symbolism in a group with you and others while you make them! You know, like in the good ol' days...
Alas, my inspiration has been quite missing the last few years (because of medication), but it would certainly be an interesting project to fulfill.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

One of my peacefully on-going projects nowadays is actually about the Star of Azazel tarot. We had a plan with an artist to make the whole deck of SoA tarot, starting with the major arcana, so I have already written instructions how to construct those. When that project got cancelled, I have been slowly accumulating thoughts about the SoA tarot book to publish instructions, thoughts, ways of reading, & so on. So it would not be primarily about the tarot symbolism, but a practical application about the idea of tarot. I am also a fan of the Golden Dawn approach in this subject: that every person going through a certain grade was encouraged to create his own cards according to written instructions. That is a great way to really charge one's cards with individual force, and yet keep them tied into the special symbolism of one's own esoteric school. Now when my book will be published without a deck, that part will be emphasized, so the cloud has a silver lining.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nefastos wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am One of my peacefully on-going projects nowadays is actually about the Star of Azazel tarot. We had a plan with an artist to make the whole deck of SoA tarot, starting with the major arcana, so I have already written instructions how to construct those. When that project got cancelled, I have been slowly accumulating thoughts about the SoA tarot book to publish instructions, thoughts, ways of reading, & so on. So it would not be primarily about the tarot symbolism, but a practical application about the idea of tarot. I am also a fan of the Golden Dawn approach in this subject: that every person going through a certain grade was encouraged to create his own cards according to written instructions. That is a great way to really charge one's cards with individual force, and yet keep them tied into the special symbolism of one's own esoteric school. Now when my book will be published without a deck, that part will be emphasized, so the cloud has a silver lining.
I hope this tarot book you are planning will be out soon. Tarot has been essential for me since I read Eliphas Levi's "Transcendental Magic" - one of the first book on the occult that I read, which made a huge impression on me. It is a fascinating idea that all you need is a deck of cards. And I really need a visual language for deep thinking.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Nefastos wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am That is a great way to really charge one's cards with individual force, and yet keep them tied into the special symbolism of one's own esoteric school.
Will your book have instructions for creating a personal deck? And if so, is this book still years away from publication? I had completely forgotten, that this stuff was discussed years ago. I've also been reminded of Tarot by weird old synth-music.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:21 pmWill your book have instructions for creating a personal deck?

Yes.
Benemal wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:21 pmAnd if so, is this book still years away from publication?

Most likely yes, since I have other books on the table that are much nearer to completion than this one.
Benemal wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:21 pmI've also been reminded of Tarot by weird old synth-music.

Can you recommend something?
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Nefastos wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:43 pm Can you recommend something?
i'll recommend my all-time favorite Tarot reading album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHMYIOLkBw